WJC: 2024 Team USA Roster Talk

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
While we're heaping praise on the coaching staff, I was happy Carle was patient, and didn't pull Augustine after that leaky 2nd goal. That was exactly what I was yelling at the TV for him to do.

He settled right down, and was solid the rest of the game. He made a big stop and then an absolutely stellar toe save on the rebound shot to prevent OT.

Looking forward to a big game from him tomorrow. The Finns were full value for talent today, as usual, but Sweden brings a lot more offensive firepower.

What happened with rinzel
Atrocious giveaway, stripped of the puck right in front of his net in the first two minutes, leading to a net front shot that squeaked by Augustine and landing near the far post for as easy a tap-in goal as you'll ever see.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Well, the guys slapped me in the face because I didn't really believe in them after the first period. Carle did the same. He was able to make changes that helped.

However, it is clear that we are too often in trouble in our own end and Sweden is much more dangerous than Finland. With this game, Sweden takes the gold medal from them again. They need the best game of the tournament, but of course that's how it should be in the final.

Of course, personal awards are pointless, but it would be nice if they were still given with merit and not by name.
Let's play Spot The Disconnect.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
H

Hutson was all over the ice, dominant, you were probably having problem with the numbers.

He was on the ice also for the last 2 min 30 even with play stoppages, coaches were more confident with him on the ice then Fortescue or Casey.

He's by far the best defenceman on this team.
Same coaches said to be dumb cause they cant see Fowler is CLEARLY better than Augustine? Who’s in net tomorrow, any announcement yet?

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
This must be easiest route to final probably ever. Carle deserve some credit but let's see how he prepares team against Sweden. Sweden is the only team who is close to their talent level.

Reactions: Blueston

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know Augustine could’ve done better on that second goal, but that’s exactly the type of play Hutson needs to learn to do better. I get he’s the small offensive defensemen, but it wasn’t even like he got out-muscled. He let his man tip a puck in the slot with no attempt to tie up his stick. Thats seriously poor defense. Of course, Rinzel handing Finland the 1-0 was even worse.

Rinzel has had a weak tournament. I’d be okay rolling with mostly 5. Fortescue is outplaying him and earned that fifth slot. They really should just play Pohlkamp, but he didn’t play any shifts today (neither did Hayes). Limit Rinzel’s minutes.

I’m a little worried about Sweden overwhelming some of our smaller players physically. I think that’s always been the concern of how you draw up us not winning this tournament, but we’ll see tomorrow.

The small line went invisible today. They need to pick it up against Sweden. I actually thought the first line and BC line generated chances today. BC line is risky, so I see why their minutes are limited, but if the second line can’t generate again, the BC line should start eating into their ice time. Fourth line is very ineffective and has been all tournament. Finley does some nice stuff, and the rest look lost.

Those were huge snipes for Snuggerud and Gauthier. Needed it. Clutch goals. Casey and Chesley played very good games on the back-end today. Buium is an overall positive, but I’m always worried he’s going to do something a little naive. Hutson you have to live and die with how he plays. I don’t think he’s been bad, but he can play better. I hope the Gold Medal game is his best game of the tournament. He hasn’t had many big games yet.

Augustine can get redemption tomorrow for the U18 final against Sweden two years ago. He kind of did last year, but the real redemption would be against this group, not the group he’ll face next year.

I like our chances, but Sweden has a shot. Need to start better than we did today. I think Sweden might be too good for us to spot them a two goal lead.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
One wish for next year is that we would have a bit more size and physicality in our defense.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If they didn't get overwhelmed by Finland physically, I don't think they will be Sweden. I think Finland plays a tougher game than the Swedes do.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
If they didn't get overwhelmed by Finland physically, I don't think they will be Sweden. I think Finland plays a tougher game than the Swedes do.
Finland plays more of a grinding game but Sweden is bit more physically imposing imo, just gets bit overlooked because they control the puck way more than us do.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Neither of the goals Augustine allowed were particularly great. Going down 2-0 and they start clenching their sticks a bit and such. For the '05s is a nice thing though that they've come back from 0-2 twice in the last calendar year in medal round games, so they have the confidence that they can do it. But you'd rather just not be in that spot, the turnovers and gaffes are going to happen with the defensive group that the USA has (which is shaky and leaky all tournament, it just is what it is). With Augustine's experience, he needs to make the big saves.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I know Augustine could’ve done better on that second goal, but that’s exactly the type of play Hutson needs to learn to do better. I get he’s the small offensive defensemen, but it wasn’t even like he got out-muscled. He let his man tip a puck in the slot with no attempt to tie up his stick. Thats seriously poor defense. Of course, Rinzel handing Finland the 1-0 was even worse.

Rinzel has had a weak tournament. I’d be okay rolling with mostly 5. Fortescue is outplaying him and earned that fifth slot. They really should just play Pohlkamp, but he didn’t play any shifts today (neither did Hayes). Limit Rinzel’s minutes.

I’m a little worried about Sweden overwhelming some of our smaller players physically. I think that’s always been the concern of how you draw up us not winning this tournament, but we’ll see tomorrow.

The small line went invisible today. They need to pick it up against Sweden. I actually thought the first line and BC line generated chances today. BC line is risky, so I see why their minutes are limited, but if the second line can’t generate again, the BC line should start eating into their ice time. Fourth line is very ineffective and has been all tournament. Finley does some nice stuff, and the rest look lost.

Those were huge snipes for Snuggerud and Gauthier. Needed it. Clutch goals. Casey and Chesley played very good games on the back-end today. Buium is an overall positive, but I’m always worried he’s going to do something a little naive. Hutson you have to live and die with how he plays. I don’t think he’s been bad, but he can play better. I hope the Gold Medal game is his best game of the tournament. He hasn’t had many big games yet.

Augustine can get redemption tomorrow for the U18 final against Sweden two years ago. He kind of did last year, but the real redemption would be against this group, not the group he’ll face next year.

I like our chances, but Sweden has a shot. Need to start better than we did today. I think Sweden might be too good for us to spot them a two goal lead.
Need a much better start.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Someone mentioned the difficulty of big ice - I think it really messes with the PP for guys who aren’t used to it. Especially the wide guys in an umbrella. You just see so many shots early on where you just know the angle is bad/non threatening but the shooter’s brain doesn’t catch it because there’s an adequate gap between their near side defender.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Glad the US won... but what a disgusting way to win it. Off of a soft call and then to follow it up with a penalty kill with another soft call.... after missing what 30 high sticks for both teams? Seems like a dirty, lucky win.... rather be lucky than good i guess. On to the next one.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Glad the US won... but what a disgusting way to win it. Off of a soft call and then to follow it up with a penalty kill with another soft call.... after missing what 30 high sticks for both teams? Seems like a dirty, lucky win.... rather be lucky than good i guess. On to the next one.
USA completely outplayed them the last two periods. I don't think it was lucky.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
The key here will be how good USA's defense can be. Lekkerimaki, Ostlund, Lindstein, Stenberg, ASP, etc...Sweden has much more firepower than Finland did. If Hutson and Rinzel keep making horrific mistakes in the defensive zone, this could be a blowout for Sweden.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think this roster is a bit too talented to lose any game in a blowout. I imagine this will be another tight game. In the end I think the US forward depth is just too strong and they will win 4-3.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Great play and pass by Chesley and split by Finley. Should have done better on that chance though. Took it in too deep.

Gold medal backcheck by Brindley.

What a f***ing pass by Smith and great job by Perreault posting up perfectly for the tap in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad