WJC: 2024 Team USA Roster Talk

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Fortescue is definitely a player I've grown to like as the tournament has progressed. There is a lot of upside in him. Chesley has also improved.

Danny Nelson, Zeev Buium, Oliver Moore, Will Smith, Ryan Leonard, Trey Augustine, Gabe Perreault, Fortescue I think are the guys that won it. Might have missed one.

Yes there is rematch attitude in both sides. US has 04s who lost in 2022 U18s and Sweden has 05s who lost last year in U18s.

Reactions: ecemleafs

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It seemed that Finland benefited two periods from shorter exchange today. Is there any idea if Sweden has the same situation tomorrow?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Everything about NHL Network is a disgrace. They should fold the Network. Not only that but unless you have cable or Fubo, you aren't even able to get it for the everyday person. Stop putting shit on it.
yeah its pretty barebones, the same replays all day long. The commercials are like C level commercials you would never see on ESPN, TNT, CBS etc etc

NHL owns it though so they should get the blame

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
That was not pretty but oh well...we playing for gold boys!!! Woooooooo!!!
But coming back from adversity can go a long way. Good coaching in between periods.

yeah its pretty barebones, the same replays all day long. The commercials are like C level commercials you would never see on ESPN, TNT, CBS etc etc

NHL owns it though so they should get the blame
I'd much rather hear Gord Miller call the game. NHL Network is so lame except for "on the fly" when there allot of games going on.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
When the US wasn't committing unforced turnovers (Rinzel and Snuggerud in the 1st, Perreault in the 3rd, etc.), they easily carried the play and did so for a lot of the game. Finland had trouble generating any sustained offense outside of those few key turnovers.

Augustine had a shaky start. The first goal against was 100% on Rinzel but he didn't look great on it and the second goal was beyond soft. After the 1st period, he maybe faced a couple of dangerous chances at most but I was impressed with his composure. He didn't let the poor start rattle him and then he made the key saves down the stretch (like at the end of the late PP), which is no easy feat when you've barely touched the puck for 40 minutes.

Gauthier was due. With his lethal shot, his putrid shooting % wasn't going to persist forever. I bet he pots another in the gold medal game.

Casey with his best game of the tournament. He was sensational. Calm, cool, and collected breakouts, held the line on the Snuggerud goal, active in the offensive zone, solid defense. He doesn't get the most ice time because he's not on the first pairing but he's the team's best defenseman.

Chesley was excellent as well. He's been getting better each game and has been excellent overall. If a defenseman on the team was going to be named a top 3 player for the tournament, it should have been Chesley. Hutson getting it was a joke, he's not even been a top 3 defenseman on the team.

Another rock-solid game from Fortescue as well. He was a wildcard on the team, especially in a top 4 role, but he's passed with flying colors. Another composed performance.

Rinzel was rough, not just the turnover on the opening goal. He was skating like he was an amalgamation of McGroarty and Perreault. It won't happen but he should be the #7 and Pohlkamp should take a regular shift. He's better with the puck, and while he's not as tall, he's more physical as well.

Perreault struggled mightily again. Needs to make quicker decisions.

It's great to have a coaching staff that doesn't appear to be painfully stubborn. I'm so used to USAH coaches waiting until the last minutes of a game they're losing to make any changes in an attempt to get back in a game that's mostly over. Carle and co. started the adjustments early in the 2nd and it got the team back in the game and turned the tide.

Officiating was putrid. How many high sticks to the face (mostly to the US players) did they let go? But then started calling ticky-tack stick infractions that you could call on every other shift if you wanted to.

Last edited:

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
USA is a bunch of inviduals. Carle got his shot and he failed. Once again our coaching staff is losing 100-0.

Failure? All Carle has done is to go 6-0, led the the tourney in offense, won his group and will play for Gold tomorrow. He's an excellent young coach. Sure, the US has talent. But they play together, and Carle has made excellent line and pairing adjustments to get the most out of them. Yes, the transition/speed/skill game comes with some defensive risks, but when you can add high skill puck-handling defensemen into the offensive zone, it's worth it.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Ton of guys on this roster that experienced losing gold to Sweden at the u18s a couple of years ago. They’ll be hungry

Reminds me a bit of the 2021 team having 5 or 6 guys that lost in the Hlinka to the same Canadian age group on that goal after the buzzer

Yep, motivation should not be an issue. The '04s + Smith, Augustine, and Leonard thoroughly dominated Sweden in the 2022 IIHF U18 gold medal game but lost as Augustine gave up 5 goals on 14 shots while Havelid stood on his head against 51 shots.

Not that you need more motivation than playing for WJC gold, but you know that the 2022 U18 team is talking about redemption. I expect Augustine in particular to be dialed in tomorrow.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
As much as I'd love to see them win it, just getting to the final feels like a victory.
So often we seem to see talented US teams fall short in the semis or quarters, not this year.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
When the US wasn't committing unforced turnovers (Rinzel and Snuggerud in the 1st, Perreault in the 3rd, etc.), they easily carried the play and did so for a lot of the game. Finland had trouble generating any sustained offense outside of those few key turnovers.

Augustine had a shaky start. The first goal against was 100% on Rinzel but he didn't look great on it and the second goal was beyond soft. After the first, he maybe faced a couple of dangerous chances at most but I was impressed with his composure. He didn't let the poor start rattle him and then he made the key saves down the stretch (like at the end of the late PP), which is no easy feat when you've barely touched the puck for 40 minutes.

Gauthier was due. With his lethal shot, his putrid shooting % wasn't going to persist forever. I bet he pots another in the gold medal game.

Casey with his best game of the tournament. He was sensational. Calm, cool, and collected breakouts, held the line on the Snuggerud goal, active in the offensive zone, solid defense. He doesn't get the most ice time because he's not on the first pairing but he's the team's best defenseman.

Chesley was excellent as well. He's been getting better each game and has been excellent overall. If a defenseman on the team was going to be named a top 3 player for the tournament, it should have been Chesley. Hutson getting it was a joke, he's not even been a top 3 defenseman on the team.

Another rock-solid game from Fortescue as well. He was a wildcard on the team, especially in a top 4 role, but he's passed with flying colors. Another composed performance.

Rinzel was rough, not just the turnover on the opening goal. He was skating like he was an amalgamation of McGroarty and Perreault. It won't happen but he should be the #7 and Pohlkamp should take a regular shift. He's better with the puck, and while he's not as tall, he's more physical as well.

It's great to have a coaching staff that doesn't appear to be painfully stubborn. I'm so used to USAH coaches waiting until the last minutes of a game they're losing to make any changes in an attempt to get back in a game that's mostly over. Carle and co. started the adjustments early in the 2nd and it got the team back in the game and turned the tide.

Officiating was putrid. How many high sticks to the face (mostly to the US players) did they let go? But then started calling ticky-tack stick infractions that you could call on every other shift if you wanted to.
We should just roll with 5D for the most part.

Hutson - Chesley
Buium/Forts - Casey

This is effectively what we did in the 3rd period.

If one of the core 3 get gassed, let Buium take a shift with Pohlkamp or Rinzel.

Reactions: William H Bonney

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Augustine had a shaky start. The first goal against was 100% on Rinzel but he didn't look great on it and the second goal was beyond soft. After the first, he maybe faced a couple of dangerous chances at most but I was impressed with his composure. He didn't let the poor start rattle him and then he made the key saves down the stretch (like at the end of the late PP), which is no easy feat when you've barely touched the puck for 40 minutes.

H

Hutson was all over the ice, dominant, you were probably having problem with the numbers.

He was on the ice also for the last 2 min 30 even with play stoppages, coaches were more confident with him on the ice then Fortescue or Casey.

He's by far the best defenceman on this team.

Reactions: Joe Zanussi

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
H

Hutson was all over the ice, dominant, you were probably having problem with the numbers.

He was on the ice also for the last 2 min 30 even with play stoppages, coaches were more confident with him on the ice then Fortescue or Casey.

He's by far the best defenceman on this team.

Yes, he was all over the ice. That doesn't mean he had a great game (nor did I say he had a bad one, he was good today) or has been the team's best defenseman. I know exactly who the players are on the team, but my opinion isn't based on which prospects are on my favorite NHL team.

Coaches were more confident with Hutson and Chesley on the ice, who played more than Hutson did in the 3rd. It's not exactly surprising that the coaches would have their 19-year-old pair who played in the last WJC out on the ice in prime time minutes. That's easy coaching.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
Here's an example of Carle's astute coaching -- after the officials missed a couple of obvious Finnish stick-to-the-face calls on American players in the third period that might have been majors had they been reviewed, US coach David Carle didn't scream and blow a gasket (as many other coaches might).

Instead, the 34-year-old went into hyper-calm mode, and he called the refs over and a quiet, composed reminder conversation with the refs about the missed calls. A few minutes later, the US drew a soft make-up call penalty, and Gauthier stepped up and scored the game-winner. Sometimes, the quiet route is most effective...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
We should just roll with 5D for the most part.

Hutson - Chesley
Buium/Forts - Casey

This is effectively what we did in the 3rd period.

If one of the core 3 get gassed, let Buium take a shift with Pohlkamp or Rinzel.

Yeah, I'd be fine with that too. Roll with the big guns for the last game. Rinzel only played 2:58 in the 3rd today and that much time was a mistake.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here's an example of Carle's astute coaching -- after the officials missed a couple of obvious Finnish stick-to-the-face calls on American players in the third period that might have been majors had they been reviewed, US coach David Carle didn't scream and blow a gasket (as many other coaches might).

Instead, the 34-year-old went into hyper-calm mode, and he called the refs over and a quiet, composed reminder conversation with the refs about the missed calls. A few minutes later, the US drew a soft make-up call penalty, and Gautier stepped up and scored the game-winner. Sometimes, the quiet route is most effective...

While I agree with the sentiment that coaching is often an achilles heel of USAH teams at various levels, I haven't seen any issues with this team so far. While I (and we) don't agree with every decision Carle and his staff have made, it also shouldn't be the expectation that we would. Minor disagreements or poor stretches of play don't inherently constitute a coaching issue.

I've been calling for Carle to get a shot here for multiple tournaments, so I'm stoked to see him here and doing well and for USAH to hopefully be ushering in a new era of coaches.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
While I agree with the sentiment that coaching is often an achilles heel of USAH teams at various levels, I haven't seen any issues with this team so far. While I (and we) don't agree with every decision Carle and his staff have made, it also shouldn't be the expectation that we would. Minor disagreements or poor stretches of play don't inherently constitute a coaching issue.

I've been calling for Carle to get a shot here for multiple tournaments, so I'm stoked to see him here and doing well and for USAH to hopefully be ushering in a new era of coaches.
He's been a breath of fresh air.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
I've talked with a number of coaches who have coached in this tourney about the concept of rolling 5 D-men to take advantage of talent disparity and matchups, but they reminded me that it's very hard to do for extended periods when a tourney is being played on big international size ice, as it is in Sweden this year. The reason? The extra 15 feet of width in Gothenberg puts a premium on any d-corp's lateral skating ability and that lateral skating factor gets more taxing on d-men as the game rolls along and the fatigue increases risk later in games. So the coaches need to constantly weigh the fatigue factor inherent in extended ice time vs. the risk factor of turnovers. Gap control is vital if you want to win medals.

The big ice is also a huge factor in power play/pk success. That's why Brett Larson is on the US coaching staff and running the US power-play- he coaches at St. Cloud State, which uses an international sheet. Steve Miller, the other US assistant, normally runs the PK at Minnesota, which until this year, had a full international sheet at Mariucci. These are the kind of details that Carle thinks about when constructing his coaching staff with John Vanbiebrouck and other USA Hockey officials.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
I've talked with a number of coaches who have coached in this tourney about the concept of rolling 5 D-men to take advantage of talent disparity and matchups, but they reminded me that it's very hard to do for extended periods when a tourney is being played on big international size ice, as it is in Sweden this year. The reason? The extra 15 feet of width in Gothenberg puts a premium on any d-corp's lateral skating ability and that lateral skating factor gets more taxing on d-men as the game rolls along and the fatigue increases risk later in games. So the coaches need to constantly weigh the fatigue factor inherent in extended ice time vs. the risk factor of turnovers. Gap control is vital if you want to win medals.

The big ice is also a huge factor in power play/pk success. That's why Brett Larson is on the US coaching staff and running the US power-play- he coaches at St. Cloud State, which uses an international sheet. Steve Miller, the other US assistant, normally runs the PK at Minnesota, which until this year, had a full international sheet at Mariucci. These are the kind of details that Carle thinks about when constructing his coaching staff with John Vanbiebrouck and other USA Hockey officials.
Great points. I’ll point out that Steve Miller was at Ohio State until the fall of 2022 so he only spent one year coaching at Minnesota on the big ice. He’s also on the staff every year anyways

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Great points. I’ll point out that Steve Miller was at Ohio State until the fall of 2022 so he only spent one year coaching at Minnesota on the big ice. He’s also on the staff every year anyways

7 of the last 8 WJCs for Miller. Only missed the 2023 tournament. The most consistent part of the team besides Stan Wong.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Cool interview with McGroarty talking about him and Cutter spending time after practice on the ice practicing the exact same shot Cutter scored the game winner on with McGroaty in front

Nice find. These kind of nuggets aren't discovered enough in interviews. Doesn't hurt that McGroarty is so great behind the mic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad