WJC: 2024 Team USA Roster Talk

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Top line (Cooley, Gauthier, Snuggerud) could be the best in the tournament

Hutson will be the #1D and I think he's going to be dominant

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Not that I'm writing off the bronze medal game tomorrow but this is more fun than thinking about the blown semifinal against Canada.

My really, really early projected summer evaluation camp roster. It will probably change a decent amount as the rest of this season + IIHF U18s will determine a lot.

Forwards (x27):

Ryan Abraham
Tanner Adams
Gavin Brindley
Logan Cooley
Mikey DeAngelo
Cole Eiserman
Quinn Finley
Cutter Gauthier
James Hagens
Gavin Hayes
Isaac Howard
Devin Kaplan
Cole Knuble
Ryan Leonard
Cam Lund
Rutger McGroarty
Oliver Moore
Quentin Musty
Frank Nazar
Danny Nelson
Gabe Perreault
Jake Richard
Will Smith
Jimmy Snuggerud
Charlie Stramel
Will Vote
William Whitelaw

Defense (x16):

Hunter Brzustewicz
Zeev Buium
Seamus Casey
Ryan Chesley
Brady Cleveland
Jackson Dorrington
Tyler Duke
Paul Fischer
Ryan Healey
Lane Hutson
Charlie Leddy
Jake Livanavage
Gavin McCarthy
Eric Pohlkamp
Sam Rinzel
Andrew Strathmann

Goalies (x5):

Trey Augustine
Jacob Fowler
Tyler Muszelik
Andrew Oke
Jack Parsons
Generally, it's a much better player pool than we had for the 2023 WJC. And we'll have 11 potential returnees (counting Casey), which is a ton of players. If everyone returns, our 19-year-old forward class will be excellent and there are some really talented '05 forwards that can provide depth scoring, compared to this tournament where we're relying on 18-year-olds to score. The defense should have improved balance, varied skill sets, and more size, even if we won't have a star prospect like Hughes. Our goalies will be older and better. A lot can change between now and the tournament, and so much depends on the coaching staff we select, but this player pool should yield a better, deeper, more balanced, and more dangerous team than the 2023 edition.

Forwards

This group should be much better than the 2023 team. All of the '03 forwards on the 2023 team have performed like easily replaceable, if not upgradeable, players. That could change if Cooley, Snuggerud, and Gauthier pursue NHL contracts. I think they'd all benefit from another year of college. I think it's unlikely they'd all head to the NHL, and even if they all did, they could be available to some extent. Cooley and Gauthier are worth watching though. Their NHL teams shouldn't rush them - they're bad teams and they'll be bad even if they add their top prospects - but NHL teams love to rush prospects, so I think they'll be tempted and those guys are less ingrained with the NCAA and their teams than Snuggerud.

Defense

We won't have a Hughes-level prospect, but we have a deeper more balanced pool of players to choose from. We shouldn't end up with 8 similar d-men on the roster like in 2023; we'll have quality shutdown options, quality guys with size, dynamic offensive defenseman options, etc. Interestingly enough, where in 2023 our LHD options were strong and our RHD not so much, we'll have endless RHD depth in this pool, and only 1 LHD lock in Hutson. I expect to see a more stylistically balanced group with guys not being forced into roles they're not accustomed to playing.

Goalies

Augustine will be a year older, Oke should have played a lot more to see what's there, and Fowler is better than Mbereko or our other options this year. With Augustine the likely starter (and eligible to return in the 2025 tournament, too) and our backup likely an '04, I'd like to get a look at an '06 in case they prove worthy of taking the 3rd sport rather than bringing along another '04 who's not eligible to return and unlikely to play. Parsons looks like the likely '06 candidate to evaluate as of now. Overall, what was a major position of concern for 2023 should not be a position of concern in 2024, although its overall strength is too early to declare.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If I were to choose a team right now based on that early projected camp roster, and assuming everyone is available, I'd go with something like this:

Forwards (x13):

Isaac Howard - Logan Cooley - Jimmy Snuggerud
Rutger McGroarty - Cutter Gauthier - Frank Nazar
Gabe Perreault - Will Smith - Ryan Leonard
Oliver Moore - Charlie Stramel - Gavin Brindley
James Hagens
Extra: Devin Kaplan

Defense (x7):

Lane Hutson - Ryan Chesley
Jackson Dorrington - Seamus Casey
Andrew Strathmann - Ryan Healey
Sam Rinzel
Extra: Paul Fischer

Goalies (x3):

Trey Augustine
Andrew Oke
Jacob Fowler

Notes:

A team that should have gold medal expectations or bust.

While I could see Gauthier being left at LW on the Cooley line given that line's history, I think it'd be a mistake to not play Gauthier at his best position. It'd also make for an incredibly deep and strong group of centers. That said, there's a possibility to have 2 pretty talented lines with a lot of history/chemistry with the Cooley and Smith lines.

There likely aren't that many forward spots clearly open if everyone returns, Nazar returns to form post-injury, USAH doesn't overreact to Howard's lack of stats (UMD can't score and he's not playing huge minutes), and/or he finds his stride next season. It'd be surprising if the top U18 line (Smith, Leonard, Perreault) didn't all make it. And USAH will love another U18 guy in Moore with his skating, motor, and all-around game who could slot in anywhere in the lineup. If that were to all prove true (it likely won't be it likely won't be far off, either) you might only have 1 forward spot (Hagens) guaranteed to be wide open or 3 if you count the uncertainties with Nazar and Howard.

You can make solid arguments for other forwards who are not in this lineup, but what I'm most interested to follow is whether Hagens and/or Eiserman can make it. They're both elite players and prospects and putting up a ton of points on a U17 team that is a pretty good team but isn't loaded with offensive talent like the '04s, '01s, or '97s were, so they're doing a lot of heavy lifting on their own. A lot will depend on how they do when they're permanently promoted to the U18 team and at the IIHF U18. What will be interesting to also follow is whether they get promoted to the U18s before the 5 Nations tournaments in early February (U17 and U18 tournaments at the same time) or if they wait until afterward. If they don't let up at all with the U18s and carry that forward into next season, it'd be hard to keep them off the team, although they could lose out to a numbers game. If only one makes it, I'd lean to Hagens as he's more well rounded and his playmaking would be more useful on a team with a lot of shooters already, although you can never have too many shooters.

The defensive group could go an endless number of ways. It's the one group I could see as the likeliest to be drastically different from my early projection. Hutson, Chesley, and Casey should all be absolute locks. I could see the other roles going in a lot of different ways, especially as we see how guys like Strathmann, Rinzel, Livanage, etc. do in the NCAA next season. You can make strong arguments for guys like Brzustewicz, Livanavage, etc., or guys like Fischer or Cleveland could see themselves in the top 7 if the staff looks to add guys with specific traits (i.e., defensive-minded, comfortable leaning into a shutdown role, size/length, physicality, etc.) in a way to counteract how we've been hurt with the 2023 team having 7 pretty similar defensemen.

Goalies are pretty straightforward. Augustine is a lock, and it'd be odd if Oke isn't there for his 3rd tournament, although if he's still not playing a lot of games next season he could be at risk if he faces more competition for the team than he did in 2023 and 2022. I'd prefer to take another '05 or an '06 if any are deserving instead of two '04s behind Augustine. But it's far too early to project an '06 on the roster when there's not a guy like Knight or the like in the birth year right now, and the other '05 goalies (i.e., Musser, Chambre) are going to be in the USHL next season.

Last edited:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Dang, I was finally beaten to the punch this year, here's what I had written down for 2024 as of a week ago:

Rutger McGroarty-Cutter Gauthier-Jimmy Snuggerud
Gabe Perreault-Will Smith-Ryan Leonard
Isaac Howard-Charlie Stramel-Frank Nazar
Oliver Moore-Cam Lund-Gavin Brindley
Quentin Musty, Cole Eiserman

Others: Cruz Lucius, William Whitelaw, Devin Kaplan, James Hagens

Lane Hutson-Ryan Chesley
Seamus Casey-Sam Rinzel
Jackson Dorrington-Charlie Leddy
Hunter Brzustewicz

Others: Ryan Healey, Tyler Duke, Garrett Brown, Paul Fischer, Michael Fisher, Aram Minnetian

Trey Augustine
Andrew Oke
Tyler Muszelik

Forward group is absolutely loaded. I just can't see Cooley being available so I didn't include him. I think Snuggerud is back with the Gophs, no idea about Gauthier so I just threw him in. Lines 2-4 are pretty interchangeable.

D seems just ok to me, severely missing LHD when I was trying to put this together but I'm sure some will step up.

Goalies are better than this year just by getting another year of experience.

Should be a gold medal favorite for sure.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Dang, I was finally beaten to the punch this year, here's what I had written down for 2024 as of a week ago:

Rutger McGroarty-Cutter Gauthier-Jimmy Snuggerud
Gabe Perreault-Will Smith-Ryan Leonard
Isaac Howard-Charlie Stramel-Frank Nazar
Oliver Moore-Cam Lund-Gavin Brindley
Quentin Musty, Cole Eiserman

Others: Cruz Lucius, William Whitelaw, Devin Kaplan, James Hagens

Lane Hutson-Ryan Chesley
Seamus Casey-Sam Rinzel
Jackson Dorrington-Charlie Leddy
Hunter Brzustewicz

Others: Ryan Healey, Tyler Duke, Garrett Brown, Paul Fischer, Michael Fisher, Aram Minnetian

Trey Augustine
Andrew Oke
Tyler Muszelik

Forward group is absolutely loaded. I just can't see Cooley being available so I didn't include him. I think Snuggerud is back with the Gophs, no idea about Gauthier so I just threw him in. Lines 2-4 are pretty interchangeable.

D seems just ok to me, severely missing LHD when I was trying to put this together but I'm sure some will step up.

Goalies are better than this year just by getting another year of experience.

Should be a gold medal favorite for sure.

Brown and Fisher are good names to watch, too. The RHD options are seemingly endless for this team. Was hard to narrow it down. Have you heard anything about Fisher this season and why he's been out?

Wildabeast

Jan 28, 2022
Brown and Fisher are good names to watch, too. The RHD options are seemingly endless for this team. Was hard to narrow it down. Have you heard anything about Fisher this season and why he's been out?
Rinzel is honestly very good with a lot of size. I bet he makes top 6 next year.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Hayes is having a good year this year and trending up steeply. Don't count him out yet.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hayes is having a good year this year and trending up steeply. Don't count him out yet.

I don't think folks are (or should) counting him out but it's going to be a very difficult forward group to make if they don't lose guys to the NHL. There realistically might only be a couple of forward spots truly up for grabs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rinzel is a wild card.

Forwards look very impressive, but I can see both Gauthier and Snuggerud being grabbed by their NHL teams...now that I think about it, even Cooley. It would be a mistake, in all three cases, IMO, but all three NHL teams are starved for forward talent, and two of the three of them are badly run.

Nazar might be a big help next year, and i really liked Brindley this year.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Rinzel is a wild card.

Forwards look very impressive, but I can see both Gauthier and Snuggerud being grabbed by their NHL teams...now that I think about it, even Cooley. It would be a mistake, in all three cases, IMO, but all three NHL teams are starved for forward talent, and two of the three of them are badly run.

Nazar might be a big help next year, and i really liked Brindley this year.
Forgot about Nazar being injured.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I'm not sure if Cooley will be there. We'll see. This team should be up there with the '21 and '17 teams. Should be very good. Forward group especially.

Long way to go, but I'd bet Eiserman makes it.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I haven't, I was thinking he'd be in the mix if he's playing for Northeastern next year, but if he doesn't log any time with Youngstown this season that seems like a long shot.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Long time lurker. Figured I’d give posting a shot as I’m really excited about how good this team can be and wanted to get my thoughts on how it could look out there

Leonard-Cooley-Snuggerud

Mcrgoarty-Gauthier-Smith

Howard-Nazar-Brindley

Moore-Stramel-Kaplan

Lucius

Hutson-Chesley

Dorrington-Casey

Strathmann-Brzustewicz

Rinzel

Extras: Lund, Fischer

Augustine

Fowler

Oke

Assuming everyone is back, this forward group should be loaded. I really like the idea of running all of Cooley, Gauthier, and Nazar down the middle. That kind of center depth is rare for even Canada. Splitting Leonard and Smith makes sense to me if they play Gauthier at center as it gives Cooley and Snuggerud a linemate that should mesh well with them and keeps a high end playmaker on Gauthier’s line. Third line (if you can even call it that) was very good at the U18s and should remain together. Moore and Stramel were easy picks for the 4th line and Kaplan makes it as he fits a depth role the best. Lund and Lucius get the nods in the extra spots due to their impressive freshman seasons.

Defense isn’t quite as star studded but is still a very good group. Hutson and Casey should be elite players at this age group, and Chesley is a very steady and calming presence. Dorrington fits well as a foil to Casey, while Strathmann and Brzustewicz could be the best third pairing at the tournament and will be very good in transition. Rinzel has elite tools but is still very raw and probably can’t be counted on to be an impact player, even as a 19 year old. Don’t know a ton about the other defenseman so I went with Fischer as others have picked him and he’s eligible still in 2025

Goalies are straight forward. It’s Augustines net for the next two tournaments and Oke is a returner. I’m expecting big things from Fowler as BC’s #1 next season so he gets the nod

Reactions: Wildabeast

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
If I were to choose a team right now based on that early projected camp roster, and assuming everyone is available, I'd go with something like this:

Forwards (x13):

Isaac Howard - Logan Cooley - Jimmy Snuggerud
Rutger McGroarty - Cutter Gauthier - Frank Nazar
Gabe Perreault - Will Smith - Ryan Leonard
Oliver Moore - Charlie Stramel - Gavin Brindley
James Hagens
Extra: Devin Kaplan

Defense (x7):

Lane Hutson - Ryan Chesley
Jackson Dorrington - Seamus Casey
Andrew Strathmann - Ryan Healey
Sam Rinzel
Extra: Paul Fischer

Goalies (x3):

Trey Augustine
Andrew Oke
Jacob Fowler

Notes:

A team that should have gold medal expectations or bust.

While I could see Gauthier being left at LW on the Cooley line given that line's history, I think it'd be a mistake to not play Gauthier at his best position. It'd also make for an incredibly deep and strong group of centers. That said, there's a possibility to have 2 pretty talented lines with a lot of history/chemistry with the Cooley and Smith lines.

There likely aren't that many forward spots clearly open if everyone returns, Nazar returns to form post-injury, USAH doesn't overreact to Howard's lack of stats (UMD can't score and he's not playing huge minutes), and/or he finds his stride next season. It'd be surprising if the top U18 line (Smith, Leonard, Perreault) didn't all make it. And USAH will love another U18 guy in Moore with his skating, motor, and all-around game who could slot in anywhere in the lineup. If that were to all prove true (it likely won't be it likely won't be far off, either) you might only have 1 forward spot (Hagens) guaranteed to be wide open or 3 if you count the uncertainties with Nazar and Howard.

You can make solid arguments for other forwards who are not in this lineup, but what I'm most interested to follow is whether Hagens and/or Eiserman can make it. They're both elite players and prospects and putting up a ton of points on a U17 team that is a pretty good team but isn't loaded with offensive talent like the '04s, '01s, or '97s were, so they're doing a lot of heavy lifting on their own. A lot will depend on how they do when they're permanently promoted to the U18 team and at the IIHF U18. What will be interesting to also follow is whether they get promoted to the U18s before the 5 Nations tournaments in early February (U17 and U18 tournaments at the same time) or if they wait until afterward. If they don't let up at all with the U18s and carry that forward into next season, it'd be hard to keep them off the team, although they could lose out to a numbers game. If only one makes it, I'd lean to Hagens as he's more well rounded and his playmaking would be more useful on a team with a lot of shooters already, although you can never have too many shooters.

The defensive group could go an endless number of ways. It's the one group I could see as the likeliest to be drastically different from my early projection. Hutson, Chesley, and Casey should all be absolute locks. I could see the other roles going in a lot of different ways, especially as we see how guys like Strathmann, Rinzel, Livanage, etc. do in the NCAA next season. You can make strong arguments for guys like Brzustewicz, Livanavage, etc., or guys like Fischer or Cleveland could see themselves in the top 7 if the staff looks to add guys with specific traits (i.e., defensive-minded, comfortable leaning into a shutdown role, size/length, physicality, etc.) in a way to counteract how we've been hurt with the 2023 team having 7 pretty similar defensemen.

Goalies are pretty straightforward. Augustine is a lock, and it'd be odd if Oke isn't there for his 3rd tournament, although if he's still not playing a lot of games next season he could be at risk if he faces more competition for the team than he did in 2023 and 2022. I'd prefer to take another '05 or an '06 if any are deserving instead of two '04s behind Augustine. But it's far too early to project an '06 on the roster when there's not a guy like Knight or the like in the birth year right now, and the other '05 goalies (i.e., Musser, Chambre) are going to be in the USHL next season.
If this is the lineup you get back then that looks absolutely lethal!

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Not even selfishly for this tournament, I genuinely think it is best for every 04 to not rush the NHL next year. They all could use another year. Hopefully NHL contracts are kept to a minimum.

We really potentially could hit a sweet spot with these age groups overlapping. High quality high depth 04s, a number of good high end 05s, and a potential for two elite 06s. Usually one year is good but the other is lacking. Like the 03s this year we’re not up to the standard to support the 04s.

Cooley
Gauthier
McGroarty
Snuggerud
Nazar
Howard

Smith
Moore
Perrault
Leonard
Musty

Eiserman
Hagens

There’s a chance the entire forward group could be made up of current/ future first round picks. Or just about, at least 10+. I wonder what the highest number we have ever had is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad