Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Soft personalities these days in the NFL. Chiefs had Smith they drafted Mahomes. Fields could be the starter and Jayden Daniels* the backup. Simple. Whomever outplays whom gets the snaps.

Brissett stinks.

Certainly feels like the Pats just going to take whoever is left there at 3. Hopefully he’s the right guy.
Fields is no better than Brissett at being an NFL QB. Brissett has experience in the offense we’re gonna run and is seen as an exceptional teammate. He’s a completely fine bridge guy. I think he’s especially perfect if they end up with Maye.

Alex Smith was on his 2nd team, was always viewed as having a limited ceiling, and was like 33/34 when they drafted Mahomes. That’s not even remotely close to the same thing.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
FWIW, on Greg Bedard's podcast, he said he asked an NFL exec that he thought might be interested in Fields as to why he didn't have much of a market, and the exec told him that on tape, there are too many unnecessary turnovers, too many plays where he's slow to make the right read, too many plays where he flat out makes the wrong read, too many plays where he takes a sack because he can't pull the trigger, and even when he does make a good, quick read, he's got below-average accuracy.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Felger and Mazz will kill the Patriots on Monday.

They just got weeks worth of content.

Who cares? Felger bashed the Patriots for doing the thing that he praises the Packers for and wants to act like the Patriots are stupid for needing to completely start from scratch. As if the Packers also didn't need to do so during the 80s.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
The Steelers will be an interesting candidate for Hard Knocks

Because if the plan is to draft a QB, a veteran journeyman type guy like Brissett is the better option. Fields with a rookie makes no sense, and would just be another Jones/Zappe situation where both think they should be the starter.

I don't think Fields is someone who at this point should be a backup. Not sure what the Steelers are doing here.
Brissett wins more games than Fields (maybe), so rather than 4-13 Pats go 6-11 and end up with a worse draft pick next season

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What the f*** is Pitt doing? Why would you trade for both Wilson and Fields and create a shit show for yourself going into next season? Pretty stupid. Crazy how far Fields fell especially since Chicago did exactly nothing to put any talent around the guy.

Reactions: CDJ and DKH

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Fields sucks. I really liked him coming out of college but like Mac, he just didn't get better at anything once he got to the nfl. He had guys wide open, under no pressure and didn't see them because he was staring down his first read. Throws a good deep ball, one of the best at running with the football at the position, but a lot of the basics that a qb needs to be good at, he's just not.

The three least accurate qbs who started 10+ games last season were Bryce Young, Zach Wilson and Justin Fields. The Bears were able to get him a wr1, a guy who had three straight 1150+ yard seasons with qbs worse than Fields and it only helped a little, nothing close to what happened when someone like Josh Allen got Diggs.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What the f*** is Pitt doing? Why would you trade for both Wilson and Fields and create a shit show for yourself going into next season? Pretty stupid. Crazy how far Fields fell especially since Chicago did exactly nothing to put any talent around the guy.

Wilson is a legit pro, and will be fine in the locker room. If he can't play anymore then they move on to Fields. I'm not sure Fields is gonna love being the backup, but if he is a problem he wont last.

After getting rid of the cancer that was Kenny Pickett I am somewhat surprised they brought Fields in, but for a 6th and very little money this year it is worth the chance.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Justin Fields is worse than Mac Jones. Mac Jones had as many 200 yard games in his rookie year than Fields has in his entire career. Wanted no part of that guy.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
He’s not good but the numbers certainly don’t reflect him being worse than Mac Jones
I like Mac better and think the stats are pretty comparable.

• 46 Touchdowns 36 INT for Mac, 40 TD 30 INT for Fields.
  • 66.1 CMP % for Mac, 60.3% CMP for Fields.
  • 212.3 pass yards per game for Mac, 166.9 pass yards per game for Fields.
  • 85.8 career Passer Rating for Mac, 82.3 career Passer Rating for Fields.
  • 18-24 career record for Mac, 11-29 career record for Fields.
  • Fields 55.5 rush yards per game.
Fields is obviously an elite rusher, but I still think Mac is better. Fields is completely lost as a passer, he can’t read defenses.

Either way these are both two bad players. I wouldn’t want another guy comparable to Mac coming in and competing for this job with a rookie. Much prefer a guy like Brissett who knows he’s the bridge.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I like Mac better and think the stats are pretty comparable.

• 46 Touchdowns 36 INT for Mac, 40 TD 30 INT for Fields.
  • 66.1 CMP % for Mac, 60.3% CMP for Fields.
  • 212.3 pass yards per game for Mac, 166.9 pass yards per game for Fields.
  • 85.8 career Passer Rating for Mac, 82.3 career Passer Rating for Fields.
  • 18-24 career record for Mac, 11-29 career record for Fields.
  • Fields 55.5 rush yards per game.
Fields is obviously an elite rusher, but I still think Mac is better. Fields is completely lost as a passer, he can’t read defenses.

Either way these are both two bad players. I wouldn’t want another guy comparable to Mac coming in and competing for this job with a rookie. Much prefer a guy like Brissett who knows he’s the bridge.
Numbers are a little skewed by Mac having a good rookie year statistically. The last 2 years I think Fields has been better. I’m not sure Mac can read defenses either so at least give me the guy with legs

But I definitely agree overall- I’d much rather have Brissett for this role than Fields. It’s not even close

Reactions: wintersej

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Watched the Dynasty

Me and my family have had 2 or 4 (now) tickets since 1980’s and I saw probably 100 or so of those 20 years - some years all 8 others as kids had games on Sundays maybe as low as 2-3 but always was at some home games each season

I’ve watched this team as close as Bruins

My takeaway is Belichick is just a mean & nasty guy - vindictive and grudge holder real or imagined

As I figured - the Malcolm Butler thing was something he made up in his head likely over he didn’t accept his contract extension

Kraft said it wasn’t football related and he was very angry holding him responsible

I was and remain 100 on Brady side - can’t believe he took such abuse

Belichick got what he deserved and he since 2004 has self destructed his professional and personal life

0.0 surprised

Here’s the tough part for me. While the end was clearly on Belichick, he was obviously a huge factor in the success they had, which allowed us to enjoy the most prolonged period of greatness, likely in the history of the 4 major sports.

For that I am very grateful, regardless of his flaws.

But it definitely ended on a sour note with the stubbornness/steadfastness that contributed to making him great, ultimately being his undoing.

Once I finish watching this series, I’m probably done mentally rehashing the “end of that amazing era”, the who/why aspect of it all and am just going to focus on the good memories and hopefully a new and successful era.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Wilson is a legit pro, and will be fine in the locker room. If he can't play anymore then they move on to Fields. I'm not sure Fields is gonna love being the backup, but if he is a problem he wont last.

After getting rid of the cancer that was Kenny Pickett I am somewhat surprised they brought Fields in, but for a 6th and very little money this year it is worth the chance.

I wonder if they’ll use him in a different role on occasion, with him lining up along side Wilson to try to confuse defenses?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if they’ll use him in a different role on occasion, with him lining up along side Wilson to try to confuse defenses?

With the new OC (Irv Smith) and Tomlin, I'm not sure Back in the Cowher days that would definitely happen. But I would expect they might have some packages, some plays where they use Fields.

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad