Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Medium sized winger from USHL with issues, 1st rounder but teams could face aome backlash for picking him.

We'll wee how much it's going to get discussed. It would have been really awkward if he demolished USHL this season and he'd be going top 10. Lucky for those teams quite a few prospects have had late season surges to overtake Connelly.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Medium sized winger from USHL with issues, 1st rounder but teams could face aome backlash for picking him.

We'll wee how much it's going to get discussed. It would have been really awkward if he demolished USHL this season and he'd be going top 10. Lucky for those teams quite a few prospects have had late season surges to overtake Connelly.
Local kid, born in Tustin

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Not sure if this is usual, with the CSB rankings released before the u18s. Connolly was the first ranking that really stood out

CSB Final Rankings last year came out around April 20-something. I presume this is normal. Also, not everyone gets to play at the WJC-18 nor does everyone get to play in the playoffs who are draft eligible, thus focusing on the regular season production is probably best for equal footing b/c opponents are spread out as opposed to concentrated in a best of three or best of seven series in a 1v8 situation.

If you want to compare the final with the mid-term reporting, here's the link...

2024North America
CSBMidterm NAFinal NA
RankPosShotPlayerRankPosShotPlayerRating
1​
CLCelebrini
1​
CLCelebrini-
2​
DRLevshunov
2​
DRLevshunov-
3​
CLLindstrom
3​
CLLindstrom-
4​
DLBuium
4​
DLBuium-
5​
LWLConnelly
5​
DRParekh+5
6​
DRYakemchuk
6​
LWLConnelly-1
7​
DLDickinson
7​
DLDickinson-
8​
LWLEiserman
8​
CLCatton+1
9​
CLCatton
9​
CLIginla+2
10​
DRParekh
10​
CRHage+9
11​
CLIginla
11​
DRYakemchuk-5
12​
RWLGreentree
12​
LWLEiserman-4
13​
CRJecho
13​
RWRSennecke+2
14​
RWRParascak
14​
RWLGreentree-2
15​
RWRSennecke
15​
RWRParascak-1

In the vein of Gavin Rossdale's love ballad, "The top-4 remains the same." I'm still high on Lev. I suppose Dickinson is down at 7th because they don't believe in his offense being translatable to the NHL level, but his defense keeps him floating in the top-10. OTOH, Yakemchuk's defense and lack of discipline probably sunk him out of the top-10.

2024International
CSBMidterm Int'lFinal Int'l
RankPosShotPlayerRankPosShotPlayerRating
1​
CRHelenius
1​
DLSilayev+1
2​
DLSilayev
2​
RWLDemidov+1
3​
RWLDemidov
3​
CRHelenius-2
4​
DRJiricek
4​
DRJiricek-
5​
RWRHemming
5​
RWRBrandsegg-Nygard+1
6​
RWRBrandsegg-Nygard
6​
RWRHemming-1
7​
DLKiviharju
7​
DLSahlin Wallenius+4
8​
DLShuravin
8​
DLKiviharju-1
9​
LWRChernyshov
9​
LWRChernyshov-
10​
CLPettersson, Lucas
10​
CLEriksson, Linus+6

Helenius doesn't have the high end tools like Silayev and Demidov, but his smarts and compete keeps him in the top-3. MBN leapfrogs over Hemming b/c that offense is real. Hemming drops b/c that offense doesn't show, but his defense does at that Liiga level as a projected 3rd line player whose offense is suppressed b/c he's playing 4th line minutes/role in Liiga. From Hemming on down in the Final Ranking, they're late first round to second round projections. (Just in case you needed some context between the NA and Int'l lists.)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
silayev would be an amazing pick if it wasn't for the russia bullshit
IMO the Russian factor is way overblown. Russians are coming over after their contracts end with no problems. The only thing preventing them coming over is their individual desire to do so. I assume either Demidov or Silayev would jump at the opportunity to do so after the 24-25 season.

Reactions: Rybread86

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Levshunov seems like the best needs pick. I love Dickinson he would be our 1D and could partner with Zellweger. Who ever we pick we are getting a stud.
Are you guys picking a Dman, with Gauthier, Carlsson, Zegras, Terry, McTavish already in the system?

How many good d prospects do you have in the system?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
IMO the Russian factor is way overblown. Russians are coming over after their contracts end with no problems. The only thing preventing them coming over is their individual desire to do so. I assume either Demidov or Silayev would jump at the opportunity to do so after the 24-25 season.

Tell that to the Flyers, Fedotov, and the IIHF.

Guess the higher talent the prospect is the more scrutiny the KHL is on potentially keeping that player in Russia.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
wasn't there just an order directly from putin himself a few months back to make it harder for players to leave?

with where this franchise is at, i'm not using a top 5 pick to draft a guy who might come over in 4-5 years

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
And where is Mr. Fedotov sleeping tonight?

Let's review your OP

Either you're sidestepping what transpired so you don't look foolish or you're completely ignorant of the Fedotov situation.

I can only lead you to the hyperlinked trough.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Why are players still signing with teams as recently as this month then? I see it as posturing that serves Putin absolutely no benefit. IMO players will continue to come to NA unless we get into WWIII and then it doesn't matter anyway.

Let's review your OP

Either you're sidestepping what transpired so you don't look foolish or you're completely ignorant of the Fedotov situation.

I can only lead you to the hyperlinked trough.
So Fedotov was delayed in coming over for a few months. But he's here now isn't he? What is the point YOU are trying to make?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
wasn't there just an order directly from putin himself a few months back to make it harder for players to leave?

with where this franchise is at, i'm not using a top 5 pick to draft a guy who might come over in 4-5 years

Was there?

Yup. I shared the tweet that @Terry Yake just shared before in this thread with the Fedotov situation as the two known reasons to be weary of drafting Russians.

Someone is definitely sleeping... on information.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yup. I shared the tweet that @Terry Yake just shared before in this thread with the Fedotov situation as the two known reasons to be weary of drafting Russians.

Someone is definitely sleeping... on information.
But you are ignoring (intentionally it seems) that anyone who wanted to come here from Russia is now here. So why the concern?

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018

Wanted to share my mock and see what everyone thought of my pick for Anaheim, let me know!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
But you are ignoring (intentionally it seems) that anyone who wanted to come here from Russia is now here. So why the concern?

Let's review your OP, again, and I'll highlight your point, again,...

it+means.gif

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Why are players still signing with teams as recently as this month then? I see it as posturing that serves Putin absolutely no benefit. IMO players will continue to come to NA unless we get into WWIII and then it doesn't matter anyway.

So Fedotov was delayed in coming over for a few months. But he's here now isn't he? What is the point YOU are trying to make?
which other russian players have come over recently? i'm guessing the ones (like fedotov) who have come over have done so due to their contracts ending or being terminated in fedotov's case

if silayev was guaranteed to leave russia after his contract is up next year, i'd be fine drafting him. but who knows what putin/KHL has up their sleeve. this could just be something they have't implemented yet

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Are you guys picking a Dman, with Gauthier, Carlsson, Zegras, Terry, McTavish already in the system?

How many good d prospects do you have in the system?
Its most likely we take a D. At the start of the year we needed F but after trading Drysdale for Gauthier that swapped our needs and created a big hole at RD. We have a lot of potential on D but what we are lacking is elite pieces. Our highest drafted D during this rebuild has been Minty at pick 10.

Minty & Zellweger are the two with the best chance to be top pair but still a long way to go. Luneau is our only RD in the system that looks to be top 4 if he gets over his injury. Lacombe looks solid but probably end up a #3 or #4.

All of our other D prospects are later picks and are still developing so we don't really know what they will be even if they do look promising.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
which other russian players have come over recently? i'm guessing the ones (like fedotov) who have come over have done so due to their contracts ending or being terminated in fedotov's case

if silayev was guaranteed to leave russia after his contract is up next year, i'd be fine drafting him. but who knows what putin/KHL has up their sleeve. this could just be something they have't implemented yet
Gleb Trikozov, a 2nd rounder from 2022, just signed with the Canes a week ago. The Flyers just brought over the two Russian goalies (Fedotov and Kolosov).

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Let's review your OP, again, and I'll highlight your point, again,...

it+means.gif
We're going around in circles arguing about a player that is now under contract and playing in NA. At this point we can just agree that we are talking past each other and end the discussion. You continue to be afraid of the Russian factor and I'll continue to believe it is not an issue.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Gleb Trikozov, a 2nd rounder from 2022, just signed with the Canes a week ago. The Flyers just brought over the two Russian goalies (Fedotov and Kolosov).
trikozov (like fedotov) had his contract terminated. kolosov is belarusian, so i'm assuming none of this applies to him

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
trikozov (like fedotov) had his contract terminated. kolosov is belarusian, so i'm assuming none of this applies to him
Well I'm not sure what the difference is between having a contract terminated and having it run out (like both Demidov and Silayev will at the end of 24-25). Either way they are ok to sign in NA and the Russian government doesn't seem interested in preventing them from coming. The funny thing is that the "Russian factor" seems to be fading since Central Scouting just named Demidov and Silayev as the top 2 players available from Europe this year. Interesting. If you find any articles indicating that they won't be able to come over after their contracts end please link them. I'd be interested to read them. I've not seen anyone worrying about it recently.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We're going around in circles arguing about a player that is now under contract and playing in NA. At this point we can just agree that we are talking past each other and end the discussion. You continue to be afraid of the Russian factor and I'll continue to believe it is not an issue.

You're willing to ignore the KHL prevented Fedotov from coming over after Fedotov signed with the Flyers. Again, the IIHF sanctioned Fedotov and his KHL team. Since you're allergic to reading, I'll post an excerpt of the IIHF sanction here:

Based on the evidence provided to the IIHF by the involved parties, the IIHF has determined that Ivan Fedotov has a valid NHL Contract with the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club for the 2023/2024 season. Accordingly, the IIHF has determined that Ivan Fedotov was in breach of a Professional Player Contract per Article II.4.1 of the IIHF International Transfer Regulations when he signed a contract with CSKA hockey club for the 2023/2024 season.
In accordance with the Article II.4.2 of the IIHF International Transfer Regulations, it shall be presumed, unless established to the contrary, that any club signing a Player who has breached his Professional Player Contract has induced that Player to commit a breach. Therefore, as CSKA Hockey Club was aware of the Player’s NHL Contract and did not establish to the IIHF that it has not induced the Player to commit a breach of his Professional Player Contract

The fact that a Russian player was prevented from playing in NA actually happened "IS" the concern.

Interesting. If you find any articles indicating that they won't be able to come over after their contracts end please link them. I'd be interested to read them. I've not seen anyone worrying about it recently

WTF?!

Are you seriously oblivious of the Fedotov situation? You must be b/c you're not READING THE LINK shared to you often by me from the IIHF.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You're willing to ignore the KHL prevented Fedotov from coming over after Fedotov signed with the Flyers. Again, the IIHF sanctioned Fedotov and his KHL team. Since you're allergic to reading, I'll post an excerpt of the IIHF sanction here:

Based on the evidence provided to the IIHF by the involved parties, the IIHF has determined that Ivan Fedotov has a valid NHL Contract with the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club for the 2023/2024 season. Accordingly, the IIHF has determined that Ivan Fedotov was in breach of a Professional Player Contract per Article II.4.1 of the IIHF International Transfer Regulations when he signed a contract with CSKA hockey club for the 2023/2024 season.
In accordance with the Article II.4.2 of the IIHF International Transfer Regulations, it shall be presumed, unless established to the contrary, that any club signing a Player who has breached his Professional Player Contract has induced that Player to commit a breach. Therefore, as CSKA Hockey Club was aware of the Player’s NHL Contract and did not establish to the IIHF that it has not induced the Player to commit a breach of his Professional Player Contract

The fact that a Russian player was prevented from playing in NA actually happened "IS" the concern.

WTF?!

Are you seriously oblivious of the Fedotov situation? You must be b/c you're not READING THE LINK shared to you often by me from the IIHF.
Ok...just stop. Three of the top 12 picks last year were Russian. They are coming whether you want to admit it or not. If you are afraid that big bad Vladimir will stop them from coming then they won't be on your draft list. That's fine. I'll be happy to make a friendly wager with you that Demidov goes top 5 and Silayev goes top 10. It's easy money for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad