Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (Ducks pick #3, They didn’t drop! OMG It’s a Miracle!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I'd add onto that thought of list building with balance building.

While do lack RD's at the NHL level, we actually lack defensive d-men (DFD). Gudas is here for only two more years and he can't handle top pairing minutes for extended period of games. Outside of Gudas, our best DFD's are RD Lindstrom, LD Vaak, and LD/RD LaCombe. Lindstrom and Vaak are okay on the bottom pairing. LaCombe has improved over the season between the bottom-2 pairs.

In the AHL, RD Helleson and LD/RD Hinds are about at the same level, but still away a ways. Coming to the AHL next season is Warren and he's even further away.

While I prefer RD Lev, I wouldn't mind grabbing LD Dickinson and shift our defense around. We do have three Left shooting D-men that have played RD for a few seasons exclusively before the pros in LaCombe, Zell, and Hinds. Lev and Dickinson give us the best chance of improving our DFD situation sooner than later, hoping our other prospects might rise to the top.

2024 RD prospects Parekh and Yakemchuk are OFD's (offensive d-men). We have a surplus of OFD's already in Minty, Zell, Luneau, and, to an extent, LaCombe.
Levshunov seems like the best needs pick. I love Dickinson he would be our 1D and could partner with Zellweger. Who ever we pick we are getting a stud.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Parascak might be the most prolific producer who hasn't been discussed much here yet. 105 point season is nothing to sneeze at for a 17 year old in the WHL, and he's a rookie in the league to boot. Though it does look like he's on a fairly strong team that includes Riley Heidt.

Ranked as high as #16 (Button)

Parascak could be an option with the Oilers 1st. To make the NHL he needs to overcome his skating. He reminds me a lot the way Corey Perry would operate in the offensive zone. If he can model Perry, he has a path to the NHL. Build size, improve skating and use small area skills around the net.

He would be a project, even more so than his linemate Heidt, but a fine bet to become an impact player despite his obvious issues.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Would love lindstrom if he can stay healthy or Dickinson otherwise. I also love Buium but if we got him it might be a headache trying to tinker with the core to fit him in comfortably as a small lhd.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't see it with Buuim. Seems like a safe 2nd pairing guy rather than a guy who has a projectable tool to be an actual elite player. With a top 5 pick, hope we stay far away

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My sons bday… that’s got to bring good luck

I don't see it with Buuim. Seems like a safe 2nd pairing guy rather than a guy who has a projectable tool to be an actual elite player. With a top 5 pick, hope we stay far away
I feel like that’s how everyone looks in this draft to be fair….

Don’t think any of the dmen look like top pairing guys to me, and I feel less confident about any of the forwards outside of celebrini

To me buium has a very clean game, and a game that should compliment a lot of what we have already, I think his floor is top 4 2way dmen

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Also here is Central Scouting VP Dan Marr's quote on Silayev, their #1 ranked European skater

"It’s not often that there is a 6’7”, 211 lb. defenseman who is a fluid skater and has the puck skills, attributes, and intangibles to be considered a franchise-type prospect,” says Marr. “He has quick smarts, instincts, and composure to read and react on the play and has a very efficient transition and puck movement game. His play this year displayed a level of compete and maturity that will transcend to the NHL game and his ceiling is projected to be the highest of any player on our international ranking.”

I think in terms of upside, fit and just all other variables considered, I still lean towards Silayev as the Dman I want most. I think he'd fit with Zell or Minty like a glove (plays the right side in the KHL) and provide a dominant defensive buffer.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
really curious which team will take a chance on connelly despite his off-ice issues

this article does a pretty good job outlining a lot of it and its not good at all

I can’t see article, but from what I’ve read in the past…. I think I’d be willing to take him if he’s there with our 2nd maybe even oilers pick if we have his talent lvl that high

Unless I’m missing something

He was 16, he’s doing what he’s needed to do in terms of learning from a mistake and in theory continue to grow as a person.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I can’t see article, but from what I’ve read in the past…. I think I’d be willing to take him if he’s there with our 2nd maybe even oilers pick if we have his talent lvl that high

Unless I’m missing something

He was 16, he’s doing what he’s needed to do in terms of learning from a mistake and in theory continue to grow as a person.
it mainly discusses how he's bounced from program to program in the last few years and various off ice issues like bullying teammates and an incident where he apparently used a racial slur towards an opponent

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
it mainly discusses how he's bounced from program to program in the last few years and various off ice issues like bullying teammates and an incident where he apparently used a racial slur towards an opponent
An okay, the only thing I read about was the picture thing

If it’s racial incident towards opponents, and bullying teammates then it does seem like a character flaw and I wouldn’t bother with him

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Being around grown men can change some of that real quick.

Not a good place to be starting off at and he could be black listed due to character issues. Im sure any team thinking about drafting him will get the full rundown and be able to tell if these are bigger issues, or if it was a kid being dumb and immature but has grown since then.

The racial slur part, you want more info on for sure. 2 guys talking shit back and forth is one thing. Using certain words, regardless of situation, can be a non-starter.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Honestly, I cannot get myself too excited about our picks this year. Seems that the talent is questionable (not bad, but lots of question marks) and more importantly our drafting under Pat does not encourage me tbh. Leo, Minty, Luneau are great but Pat is giving me meh drafting vibes somehow (because he leaves some great players on the table I guess)

Will probably whine about this a few more times before the draft and then hype myself about the new prospects :laugh:

Reactions: ScarTroy

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Also here is Central Scouting VP Dan Marr's quote on Silayev, their #1 ranked European skater

"It’s not often that there is a 6’7”, 211 lb. defenseman who is a fluid skater and has the puck skills, attributes, and intangibles to be considered a franchise-type prospect,” says Marr. “He has quick smarts, instincts, and composure to read and react on the play and has a very efficient transition and puck movement game. His play this year displayed a level of compete and maturity that will transcend to the NHL game and his ceiling is projected to be the highest of any player on our international ranking.”

I think in terms of upside, fit and just all other variables considered, I still lean towards Silayev as the Dman I want most. I think he'd fit with Zell or Minty like a glove (plays the right side in the KHL) and provide a dominant defensive buffer.

We know Beeker loves guys with size. It sounds like he can be physical too, which is an added bonus.

At 6'7'' you would think hes going to fill out more too

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He's still just 17, may end up 6'8 240+
giphy.gif

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
really curious which team will take a chance on connelly despite his off-ice issues

this article does a pretty good job outlining a lot of it and its not good at all

He also quit a team after a week on it the year before this incident. I can't remember where I read it but I remember he quit TWO teams after a short amount of time that season.

A lot of red flags. I think a team like Boston or Tampa would be good for him. Where there is a strong leadership and culture. The Ducks would not be a good place for a guy who needs structure.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
An okay, the only thing I read about was the picture thing

If it’s racial incident towards opponents, and bullying teammates then it does seem like a character flaw and I wouldn’t bother with him
the picture thing was just dumb teens being dumb teens. if i remember correctly, it was his friend who made a swastika out of legos or something and connelly just took a picture of it and posted it on his social media

the bullying/behavioral issues are why i'd prefer to stay away if he's still there late in the 1st. there's a reason why he's bounced around so much in just a few years. i agree that an org like boston or tampa would be an ideal place for him to get his shit together. anaheim (especially since he'd be playing at home) would not be ideal

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
the picture thing was just dumb teens being dumb teens. if i remember correctly, it was his friend who made a swastika out of legos or something and connelly just took a picture of it and posted it on his social media

the bullying/behavioral issues are why i'd prefer to stay away if he's still there late in the 1st. there's a reason why he's bounced around so much in just a few years. i agree that an org like boston or tampa would be an ideal place for him to get his shit together. anaheim (especially since he'd be playing at home) would not be ideal
Ya the article I read only mentioned the first part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad