Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (Ducks pick #3, They didn’t drop! OMG It’s a Miracle!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Buium is also left-handed but I'm not sure if he is comfortable playing his off side.
According to Denver's last lineup, he was playing on his off side next to Behrens. I generally feel the better a defenseman is at handling the puck and skating, the easier it is for them to play their off side (which is why I think Zellweger is better at it than LaCombe). So I feel like Buium should be able to handle it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
[MOD]

I think it depends on the player. If an overage player dominates because their physical gifts (speed, size, etc) then I am way more worried then an overager that dominates because of their overall game and hockey IQ. Levshunov is probably the guy most likely to fit this bill.

Being young is more likely to bump someone up for me then bumping down an older player. Eiserman is obviously a posterchild, but God he just brings nothing except his one skill. He can't even drive a line because he doesn't play with the puck.

I didn't know Iginla was that young.

Yeah definitely a case by case thing more than an absolute science, but definitely will factor into the process of projecting these guys.

Iginla was one who surprised me as well, but he may be one of those guys who is a bit more physically developed for his age. He doesn't look young for this class

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
According to Denver's last lineup, he was playing on his off side next to Behrens. I generally feel the better a defenseman is at handling the puck and skating, the easier it is for them to play their off side (which is why I think Zellweger is better at it than LaCombe). So I feel like Buium should be able to handle it.

I remember Zeev making the play to Reiger on the left side.

As for Zell vs LaCombe, the difference in their play is that Zell loves to skate the puck up while LaCombe is used to passing the puck up. With the Ducks, we don't give our d-men great outlets because the forwards (two of them) were trained to stretch the ice. If the opposing team knows this, then it's easier to counter. Also, because LaCombe passes the puck up is the reason why he is rarely on the ice too long (and partially why he doesn't get additional + ratings). Later in the season, we see LaCombe carrying the puck from d-zone to o-zone more.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Parascak might be the most prolific producer who hasn't been discussed much here yet. 105 point season is nothing to sneeze at for a 17 year old in the WHL, and he's a rookie in the league to boot. Though it does look like he's on a fairly strong team that includes Riley Heidt.

Ranked as high as #16 (Button)

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Parascak might be the most prolific producer who hasn't been discussed much here yet. 105 point season is nothing to sneeze at for a 17 year old in the WHL, and he's a rookie in the league to boot. Though it does look like he's on a fairly strong team that includes Riley Heidt.

Ranked as high as #16 (Button)

He is in the mid to late 20s with pretty much everyone else. Just a question of if he is a product of his linemates.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He is in the mid to late 20s with pretty much everyone else. Just a question of if he is a product of his linemates.

There is a certain class of player who have the smarts and skill to pick apart bad defending at the junior level but don't actually have a carrying tool to create separation against quality defenders (Steel types) . I think there is concern he falls into that category. Certainly some guys with more impressive physical tools in that tier

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Really interested to see what we do here. Id like to see us get crafty with our picks. Trading up, trading down, flipping for proven young talent. Unless you are getting the exact guy/skillset you need in your draft position, try and go find it outside the normal process.

Ive seen mocks where we are taking Silayev, Demidov, Lindstrom, Levshunov...

Doesnt seem like there is a consensus pick yet but given the needs of the team I have to imagine if they use the pick, they are targeting D.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Really interested to see what we do here. Id like to see us get crafty with our picks. Trading up, trading down, flipping for proven young talent. Unless you are getting the exact guy/skillset you need in your draft position, try and go find it outside the normal process.

Ive seen mocks where we are taking Silayev, Demidov, Lindstrom, Levshunov...

Doesnt seem like there is a consensus pick yet but given the needs of the team I have to imagine if they use the pick, they are targeting D.
Obviously we'll know more after the lottery but I'll go out on a limb and say they aren't pick a G with their 1st pick ;)

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Obviously we'll know more after the lottery but I'll go out on a limb and say they aren't pick a G with their 1st pick ;)

I have seen mocks where we are taking a G in the 2nd round. But ya, I think thats the only real guarantee with the 1st pick that it wont be a G.

Outside of Celebrini, I dont think it we would take a center either but in earlier mocks some have suggested Lindstrom. I just think that would create some chaos at center. We're already debating if Zegras should be a top 6 wing or a 3rd line center. Add another center to the mix and now it becomes "Should Zegras, McT or Carlsson move to wing?"

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I have seen mocks where we are taking a G in the 2nd round. But ya, I think thats the only real guarantee with the 1st pick that it wont be a G.

Outside of Celebrini, I dont think it we would take a center either but in earlier mocks some have suggested Lindstrom. I just think that would create some chaos at center. We're already debating if Zegras should be a top 6 wing or a 3rd line center. Add another center to the mix and now it becomes "Should Zegras, McT or Carlsson move to wing?"
Lindstrom is a bit of a unicorn with size, speed, and scoring. He's versatile as well and can play LW (and very well might in the NHL). Players like him don't come along very often so I'd be ok with the pick. Definitely has top 5 upside if teams can be comfortable with his injury issues this year.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Lindstrom is a bit of a unicorn with size, speed, and scoring. He's versatile as well and can play LW (and very well might in the NHL). Players like him don't come along very often so I'd be ok with the pick. Definitely has top 5 upside if teams can be comfortable with his injury issues this year.

I did like his size and talks about being a power forward. If we can get a good mix of power and skill guys, that would be ideal. If he can play LW too, the thats a bonus. Having guys who can play multiple positions and be comfortable at those positions gives some options.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I still prefer to go dmen with our pick

If we do go forward I prefer catton over lindstrom…. But I’m not very high on lindstrom at all

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
It's crazy how variable the rankings of the 2 - 10 prospects are. Some swear by Demidov, others by Lindstrom, others still love Eiserman or Catton. Then you've got Levshunov, Buium, Parekh, Yakemchuk, Dickinson. And then there are wildcards like Iginla who some would take in the top five and others don't think is close to the top 10.

I think I'll just be happy with whomever we take in this draft. Unless we take a guy no one has on their board, in which case I will be outraged for no reason.

Reactions: lwvs84
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I run the risk of looking like an idiot it here, but wouldn’t it be better if we didn’t get first overall?

I haven’t paid attention to much of Celebrini truthfully. What would he bring to the table forward-wise versus someone like. Demidov, Lindstrom ?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I run the risk of looking like an idiot it here, but wouldn’t it be better if we didn’t get first overall?

I haven’t paid attention to much of Celebrini truthfully. What would he bring to the table forward-wise versus someone like. Demidov, Lindstrom ?

If you win the lottery you take Celebrini pretty comfortably.

Demidov has the russian red flags
Lindstrom i think generally gets overrated due to his potential unicorn build.

Way different, I hadn't read too far yet when I posted haha
Some of those guys he has in that 20 area... make me def want to move up from oilers pick

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
demidov has also been dominating a shitty league where he's playing against pylons every night. he looked completely outmatched in the handful of KHL games he appeared in

he's got great hands, but everything else about him isn't anything special and he's undersized. plus there's the whole russia thing. i'd stay far away

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
From a list building perspective the only glaring hole is RD. The fact that the players ranked 2-10 are pretty even and there are 3 RD among them leads me to believe we will take one of them. RD is also the hardest position to fill so it makes sense to do it this draft before we start improving as a team and have less access to players of this calibre.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
From a list building perspective the only glaring hole is RD. The fact that the players ranked 2-10 are pretty even and there are 3 RD among them leads me to believe we will take one of them. RD is also the hardest position to fill so it makes sense to do it this draft before we start improving as a team and have less access to players of this calibre.
if they're targeting RHD, then it'll either be levshunov or parikh. not sold at all on either

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'd add onto that thought of list building with balance building.

While do lack RD's at the NHL level, we actually lack defensive d-men (DFD). Gudas is here for only two more years and he can't handle top pairing minutes for extended period of games. Outside of Gudas, our best DFD's are RD Lindstrom, LD Vaak, and LD/RD LaCombe. Lindstrom and Vaak are okay on the bottom pairing. LaCombe has improved over the season between the bottom-2 pairs.

In the AHL, RD Helleson and LD/RD Hinds are about at the same level, but still away a ways. Coming to the AHL next season is Warren and he's even further away.

While I prefer RD Lev, I wouldn't mind grabbing LD Dickinson and shift our defense around. We do have three Left shooting D-men that have played RD for a few seasons exclusively before the pros in LaCombe, Zell, and Hinds. Lev and Dickinson give us the best chance of improving our DFD situation sooner than later, hoping our other prospects might rise to the top.

2024 RD prospects Parekh and Yakemchuk are OFD's (offensive d-men). We have a surplus of OFD's already in Minty, Zell, Luneau, and, to an extent, LaCombe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad