Votes: 54 17.0%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What about the nightmare scenario (highly unlikely)

1- MC
2-DEMI
3-lindstrom
4- Iggy Jr

Would you guys go next available forward? Catton , helenius, eiserman, sennenke etc or go top rated dman? I would personally go with zee buium think he's going go be a stud ,position wise sucks but we can always trade Matheson next year or apparently he plays both sides well or trade down to the 8-9 because in this scenario I'm sure their will be a run on dman and we can still get those forwards at 8-9

It's one I've thought about, too. I believe this to be the scenario where Montreal trades down if all 4 forwards that they likely want go 1-4.

I think the next 3 teams would all take D in this scenario, too: Utah, Ottawa & Seattle. Calgary could go either way. Would Calgary or Buffalo (who desperately needs RHD) want to move up to get a quality D?

Basically, it would go something like this:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lindstrom
4. Iginla
5. Levshunov, Silyav, Buium or Dickinson (Calgary)
6. Dickinson, etc (Utah)
7. Yakemchuk, Levshunov, or Parekh (Ottawa)
8. Buium, etc (Seattle)
9. Sennecke (Montreal)

Or

5. Buffalo: Levshunov or Yakemchuk
6. Utah: Dickinson, etc
7. Ottawa: Yakemchuk, Levshunov or Parekh
8. Seattle: Buium, etc
9. Calgary: Helenius
10. New Jersey: MBN
11. Montreal: Sennecke

For Calgary, I would accept their 2nd round pick this year (they also have Dallas's 2nd round draft pick, but I would want the higher pick) & Vancouver's 3rd in 2026.

For Buffalo, a 2nd in 2025 & 2026.

I would then package Winnipeg's pick, Calgary or Buffalo's 2nd, two 3rds (one in 2025 & 2026) to San Jose. SJS is still looking for picks. They only have TB's 3rd this year& no 3rds next year. Winnipeg's 1st and Calgary's/Buffalo 2nd would give them 4 picks in 25-45 range.

They have #14.

There are 6D, and at this point only 4 teams have picked D.

12. Philadelphia would take D, since they're terrible at that position. There should be 2 left.
13. Minnesota: Last D, Catton or Eiserman
14. Montreal (from San Jose): Catton or Eiserman

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What about the nightmare scenario (highly unlikely)

1- MC
2-DEMI
3-lindstrom
4- Iggy Jr

Would you guys go next available forward? Catton , helenius, eiserman, sennenke etc or go top rated dman? I would personally go with zee buium think he's going go be a stud ,position wise sucks but we can always trade Matheson next year or apparently he plays both sides well or trade down to the 8-9 because in this scenario I'm sure their will be a run on dman and we can still get those forwards at 8-9
I don’t really think a nightmare scenario exists, other than taking the wrong player. Outside of Celebrini, and I’d include Demidov if you aren’t counting the Russian factor, the next tier of forwards is like a half dozen players. I understand the consensus is Lindstrom is at the top of that tier, but he’s hardly a slam dunk himself while the difference between Iginla and Sennecke is Apples to Oranges, don’t see a difference in their respective values at all. And this is all assuming we are 100% taking a forward, for all we know they could view the Russian blueliner as a perennial Norris winner, while others have the top D as one of another half dozen names.

To me, the most nightmare scenario is for Demidov, a potential superstar, to fall to us and to pass on him to take a solid player like an Iginla much like we did last year.

Reactions: bsl and Jabba11

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I don't see any scenario where none of Levchunov, Silayev or Dickinson goes in the top 5. If anything, I see it as more likely that the dmen all go in that order, from 2 to 4, and we get to choose between any of the forwards not named Celebrini. Unless HuGo have been playing 4D chess with everybody all along and they throw a curve ball .

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rozz

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I don’t really think a nightmare scenario exists, other than taking the wrong player. Outside of Celebrini, and I’d include Demidov if you aren’t counting the Russian factor, the next tier of forwards is like a half dozen players. I understand the consensus is Lindstrom is at the top of that tier, but he’s hardly a slam dunk himself while the difference between Iginla and Sennecke is Apples to Oranges, don’t see a difference in their respective values at all. And this is all assuming we are 100% taking a forward, for all we know they could view the Russian blueliner as a perennial Norris winner, while others have the top D as one of another half dozen names.

To me, the most nightmare scenario is for Demidov, a potential superstar, to fall to us and to pass on him to take a solid player like an Iginla much like we did last year.
I agree

If we draft DMAN, so be it, personally I think the high end players available at 5 are mainly Dman anyways this year.

At worst you make a move a year or two to accomodate whoever we drafted into the lineup. Asset management is key

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Fans: I don't want a late riser like Sennecke!!
Also Fans: IGINLA NO MATTER WHAT!!

Bob McKenzies pre-season rankings: Sennecke HM, Igina NR.
Bob McKenzie's mid-season rankings: Sennecke 19, Iginla 16
Bob McKenzie's pre-lotto rankings: Sennecke 14, Iginla 10.
  • Sennecke top 5 votes: 1; Iginla Top 5 votes: 0
I remember you didn't like Thachuk also. Wanted KK.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
If we're going confession mode, I was HUGE into KK at the draft and was favoring drafting Wright until the very end. I'm not a pro scout, if you were wondering :P I just go with what I've seen all year and general gut feeling about a player.

Reactions: Rozz and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's one I've thought about, too. I believe this to be the scenario where Montreal trades down if all 4 forwards that they likely want go 1-4.

I think the next 3 teams would all take D in this scenario, too: Utah, Ottawa & Seattle. Calgary could go either way. Would Calgary or Buffalo (who desperately needs RHD) want to move up to get a quality D?

Basically, it would go something like this:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lindstrom
4. Iginla
5. Levshunov, Silyav, Buium or Dickinson (Calgary)
6. Dickinson, etc (Utah)
7. Yakemchuk, Levshunov, or Parekh (Ottawa)
8. Buium, etc (Seattle)
9. Sennecke (Montreal)

Or

5. Buffalo: Levshunov or Yakemchuk
6. Utah: Dickinson, etc
7. Ottawa: Yakemchuk, Levshunov or Parekh
8. Seattle: Buium, etc
9. Calgary: Helenius
10. New Jersey: MBN
11. Montreal: Sennecke

For Calgary, I would accept their 2nd round pick this year (they also have Dallas's 2nd round draft pick, but I would want the higher pick) & Vancouver's 3rd in 2026.

For Buffalo, a 2nd in 2025 & 2026.

I would then package Winnipeg's pick, Calgary or Buffalo's 2nd, two 3rds (one in 2025 & 2026) to San Jose. SJS is still looking for picks. They only have TB's 3rd this year& no 3rds next year. Winnipeg's 1st and Calgary's/Buffalo 2nd would give them 4 picks in 25-45 range.

They have #14.

There are 6D, and at this point only 4 teams have picked D.

12. Philadelphia would take D, since they're terrible at that position. There should be 2 left.
13. Minnesota: Last D, Catton or Eiserman
14. Montreal (from San Jose): Catton or Eiserman
I'd pretty much jump off a bridge if they did all that to grab Eiserman

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I remember 95% of this board (me included) wanting Wright and disliking Slafkovsky too body.

And also 95% if this board wanting Zadina.
There's wanting and there's expecting

I didn't want Zadina and wanted Dobson, I knew that Dobson was outta the convo by draft time and settled for KK, Zadina or Tkachuk being the picks.

I didn't want Wright or Slaf, personally my 2 favorites were Nemec and Cooley but once it was clear it was Wright vs Slaf I sided with the center based on positional need and value

But had I made the picks I woulda gone Dobson and Cooley on these 2 drafts

Reactions: Jabba11

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'd pretty much jump off a bridge if they did all that to grab Eiserman

He's not my favorite, but he's a shooter. He loves to shoot. In the playoffs, you really need offensive depth upfront, and players who want to shoot.

I'd prefer over-killing it on offensive players rather over-killing the D. I don't want to end up like Boston, NYI who have decent D, but no offense. You can get by with a big, decent, physical D with some puckmoving options. I already believe we have that in our system.

We need offensive players. A lot more.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Or they think Guhle is every bit as good as he will be, that there's no guarantee Dickinson will hit to where Guhle is now and have a higher evaluation on forwards that they have an easy path to integrate into the line up.

If you have a staunch belief you already have your 1LD 2LD and 3LD, and you've identified a top line forward that you do need, you're going to take the forward.

They're not drafting a LD. They'll get paid to drop back if the board falls in a way where a LD is clearly at the top of everyone's board, which is extremely unlikely.

When Bob's list comes out and they say there's no consensus after 1, that's the belief of NHL scouts around the NHL. There's no sure fire Dickinson is a top pairing D, otherwise the majority of NHL scouts would rank him with a consensus in the top 5 of the draft. He's not. Buium isn't. Parekh isn't.

Only Silayev and Levshunov got that support. With Silayev you are 3 seasons before he even touches NA ice, so they'll get paid to not take him.

You have to remember that Bob's list is from a miniscule percentage of NHL scouts/executives and therefore is not very meaningful when attempting to glean too much from it. I find it interesting but it is more entertainment than anything else.

Taking subjective opinion from less than 5% of the profession is not something that should be cited with any sense of authority even if it is often better than the garbage that comes from all of the other fake scouting services.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
You have to remember that Bob's list is from a miniscule percentage of NHL scouts/executives and therefore is not very meaningful when attempting to glean too much from it. I find it interesting but it is more entertainment than anything else.

Taking subjective opinion from less than 5% of the profession is not something that should be cited with any sense of authority even if it is often better than the garbage that comes from all of the other fake scouting services.
Differing scouts could have differing opinions. Thank you for that insight.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Then he got injured and missed the rest of the season. :nod:

You have to wonder if they pick him, are they picking the next Kirby Dach?

For sure. It may be a concern. Personally I don't think it will be. My guess is he will be gone by the time our pick comes around. But if he is there it would be very hard not to take him. He seems like a guy management will love and someone who still has a lot of runway to develop.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's not my favorite, but he's a shooter. He loves to shoot. In the playoffs, you really need offensive depth upfront, and players who want to shoot.

I'd prefer over-killing it on offensive players rather over-killing the D. I don't want to end up like Boston, NYI who have decent D, but no offense. You can get by with a big, decent, physical D with some puckmoving options. I already believe we have that in our system.

We need offensive players. A lot more.
In that sense I'd be way happier with Cattonsky

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Fans: I don't want a late riser like Sennecke!!
Also Fans: IGINLA NO MATTER WHAT!!

Bob McKenzies pre-season rankings: Sennecke HM, Igina NR.
Bob McKenzie's mid-season rankings: Sennecke 19, Iginla 16
Bob McKenzie's pre-lotto rankings: Sennecke 14, Iginla 10.
  • Sennecke top 5 votes: 1; Iginla Top 5 votes: 0

You just take Levshunov and have the sickest top 4 in the league. Then work the board hard to trade whatever you need to move up and get whoever is falling between Eiserman, Helenius, Catton, Sennecke or Iginla.

I agree, take BPA. :)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
In that sense I'd be way happier with Cattonsky

Yeah, I'm not sure where Catton is going. I'm pretty secure in feeling the 3 teams directly behind us will all take D: Arizona, Ottawa & Seattle. He won't be taken before us.

I have Calgary taking Helenius if Iginla is not there.

I'm not sure NJ takes Catton. I feel they need size on wings more, so MBN. That leaves Buffalo. Definitely don't see them taking Catton. I have Yakemchuk going here.

So, that leaves #12, Philadelphia. Benson went #13 last draft. Philadelphia has needs everywhere. A Catton-Michkov connection would be pretty nasty and something to build some size around upfront.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Yeah, I'm not sure where Catton is going. I'm pretty secure in feeling the 3 teams directly behind us will all take D: Arizona, Ottawa & Seattle. He won't be taken before us.

I have Calgary taking Helenius if Iginla is not there.

I'm not sure NJ takes Catton. I feel they need size on wings more, so MBN. That leaves Buffalo. Definitely don't see them taking Catton. I have Yakemchuk going here.

So, that leaves #12, Philadelphia. Benson went #13 last draft. Philadelphia has needs everywhere. A Catton-Michkov connection would be pretty nasty and something to build some size around upfront.
Catton at the Flyers make makes lots of sense

Maybe it's their passing on Caufield redemption pick

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I like David St. Louis as a scout. He made a top 16 mock draft, and has us taking Demidov. Yes, please!

Unfortunately that's not David St Louis!

I do think that mock makes a lot of sense though. Chicago needs to add a top line forward that has size who can ride shotgun with Bedard.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad