HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
From the most recent Basu and Godin notebook the 3 forwards they mention we would be interested in the draft are: Lindstrom, Iginla, Demidov. Says based on their draft record Catton will not interest us at 5. Sorry WTK. Interestingly no word on Helenius which is who Goldenhands likes.
Exactly what I’ve been saying. The draft record of high 1st rounders by this group (in their past too, not just with the Habs) shows a very obvious trend that doesn’t include players like Catton. You may disagree with that strategy, but it’s what it is.

Reactions: Rapala

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
From the most recent Basu and Godin notebook the 3 forwards they mention we would be interested in the draft are: Lindstrom, Iginla, Demidov. Says based on their draft record Catton will not interest us at 5. Sorry WTK. Interestingly no word on Helenius which is who Goldenhands likes.

I've been saying the same thing - don't worry, I know that Celebrini, Lindstrom and Demidov would be their top 3. I figured they'd go Iginla above Catton, which as I've mentioned many times before is not a take I'm gonna push back on.

It is if all 4 of those guys are off the board that I think Catton would interest them more than Eiserman or Helenius. I think if they are missing out on those forwards and they're in the next tier, it would be Catton or Parekh, and really swing on the offensive upside rather than go with the rounded higher floor guy in Helenius.

Reactions: Rozz

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I've been saying the same thing - don't worry, I know that Celebrini, Lindstrom and Demidov would be their top 3. I figured they'd go Iginla above Catton, which as I've mentioned many times before is not a take I'm gonna push back on.

It is if all 4 of those guys are off the board that I think Catton would interest them more than Eiserman or Helenius. I think if they are missing out on those forwards and they're in the next tier, it would be Catton or Parekh, and really swing on the offensive upside rather than go with the rounded higher floor guy in Helenius.
I disagree. I think they go Eiserman and Helenius before Catton. Especially Helenius. They will love the pro style game against men. He’s basically Finnish Suzuki.

skidcells

May 11, 2023

Forgot to mention they talked Eiserman briefly. They actually said that he would be in the mix because of the goal scoring despite all the other issues in his game. Found that interesting because based on record I would consider him basically no draft (re Michkov example)

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I always find reaching for needs quite a scary thought. I think the defense side of our prospect pool is very loaded already and if you want by more pure "need", the Habs lack good right handed Winger and generally speaking very talented top 6 winger. I am certainly not expecting any miracle with Mesar to become that. I know we have Beck but he is not top 6, best case scenario is 3rd/4th line.

Anyway my point is that with the Jets pick I would be very aggressive and try everything in my power to trade up and a get that forward. A guy like MBN or Sennecke would be a perfect fit for us.
I agree with your take. We need top 6 forward talent. As for the lack of RDs, these are the ones in our system
Savard
Kovacevic
Barron
Mailloux
Reinbacher
Konyushkov.

We had Harris play the right side and Guhle has played there also.

Then we have long shots
Kostenko
Soboloev
Tournigny

That's 8 likely candidates. We'll discount the long shots. For a position where you need only three and where we used a 5 OA draft pick and two other 1st round picks to fill one or more of those positions, we need to pay attention to our top 6 forwards.

We have Suzuki, Slaf, CC, Dach and maybe Newhook. Maybe. There are no other guaranteed candidates in the system. Mesar is more of a question mark than Newhook. We do have our 1 st round pick this year. But that leaves us with only 4 top 6 forwards (Suz, CC, Slaf, Dach) and four other possibilities to fill the other two top 6 position. (Newhook, Mesar, our 1st rounder and maybe Roy.)

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I just pray we win Celebrini man. With him, Dach's return, Hutson and Mailloux's arrival....this team will be a serious contender as early as next year.

Trade Jets 1st ++ for Zegras

Celebrini - Suzuki - Slaf
Zegras - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Dvorak - Armia/Roy
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Roy/Armia

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble

Monty
Primeau

Reactions: Rozz and Mrb1p

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I just pray we win Celebrini man. With him, Dach's return, Hutson and Mailloux's arrival....this team will be a serious contender as early as next year.

Zegras - Dach - Caufield
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Roy/Armia

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble

Monty
Primeau
I don’t think we’re contender next year with Celebrini but for me he’s the difference between us being a good team and a contending team in the futur

Reactions: Takeru

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Forgot to mention they talked Eiserman briefly. They actually said that he would be in the mix because of the goal scoring despite all the other issues in his game. Found that interesting because based on record I would consider him basically no draft (re Michkov example)

Yeah he's the last one I would think. If you're gonna not like Catton, not sure why you would like Eiserman who has 10x the flaws with none if the progress.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

Zegras - Dach - Caufield
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Roy/Armia

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble

Monty
Primeau
No chance we're contenders yet maybe make the playoffs but we would be a mess defensively

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Zegras - Dach - Caufield
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Roy/Armia

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble

Monty
Primeau
You have to go all in with Celebrini on an ELC. I would hope for a big trade for a good veteran top 4 defenceman. I’d also target Necas for size rather than Zegras (who I like)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Zegras - Dach - Caufield
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Roy/Armia

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble

Monty
Primeau
Zegras is a loser through and through.

With Celebrini the Habs dont need to add a top 6 forward.

Some combination of Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, Celebrini, Roy, Newhook and Cole is more than good enough for the top 6 and it insulates one injury to every single position. It's 4RW and 3C that needs upgrading, with size and defensive acumen.

Also 1RD.

Guhle-XX
Hutson-Savard
Matheson-Xhekaj
Struble

The problem is the candidate for that RD spot are near non-existant. Hronek is probably getting signed, Montour is probably getting signed, Matt Roy, Mayfield, Walker, DeMelo, Pesce, that's pretty much who it is. Maybe Marino if they feel Nemec can take that 2nd pair RD?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Yeah he's the last one I would think. If you're gonna not like Catton, not sure why you would like Eiserman who has 10x the flaws with none if the progress.

It's the body and the fact that Catton, as much as we might love him, is slanted towards rush production at this point of the game. The guys in charge are Bobrov and Lapointe, no way they would use a high first rounder on someone who isn't built, lest the prospect be an outlier skillwise like Demidov......maybe.

I would have Catton top 6 at worst, ahead of Iginla and maybe even Lindstrom, take it or leave it. I'm sure the Habs have him closer to 20.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Eiserman has huge upside. He skates well, he's big and he's the best goalscorer in the draft. He's also two weeks away from having been eligible in the next draft.

I have no problem with anyone who takes Catton or even those who are skeptical of taking Eiserman. But it's not like there's no reason to take Eiserman here.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Exactly what I’ve been saying. The draft record of high 1st rounders by this group (in their past too, not just with the Habs) shows a very obvious trend that doesn’t include players like Catton. You may disagree with that strategy, but it’s what it is.
It's obvious and comes directly from the mouth of one of the Prime Builders. The Habs want and believe in Balance and good on them.
Catton does not check as many boxes as some of the others it's as simple as that. I could actually see us taking Buium before him.
Because we can always use Matheson plus for a roster ready top 6 player.

Reactions: le_sean

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Which is totally asinine on your part, no offense, He's the best goal scorer in this draft by a country mile and already has NHL size, The rest can be taught.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Eiserman has huge upside. He skates well, he's big and he's the best goalscorer in the draft. He's also two weeks away from having been eligible in the next draft.

I have no problem with anyone who takes Catton or even those who are skeptical of taking Eiserman. But it's not like there's no reason to take Eiserman here.

But what I said was it makes no sense to dislike Catton for size and style reasons but like Eiserman. Eisermans warts are way bigger in that department than Catton.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Lindstrom's injuries makes me scared to draft him so that really only leaves Celebrini/Demidov as the forwards I'd be happy with. Otherwise, I'm totally fine with trading back.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad