HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'm not too concerned about the size of Demidov, Catton, Helenius, Eiserman etc. They're all knocking on the door to 6 feet and are all at least another full season away from playing in the NHL and have time to grow. I'd put more weight on their playing style and whether it's translatable to the NHL.

Having said that, if the Habs have Celebrini/Demidov/Lindstrom as their top 3 forwards by a landslide and all are gone when we pick, that would mean there is at least one (likely more) impact D still on the board when Habs pick. Habs would be crazy not to pick an impact Dman if the available forwards are all a tier below on their draft board.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'm guessing most teams in the top 7 will draft BPA. However sometimes need and current prospect pool plays a part. Can anyone break down the specific needs (Center / Dman / Wing) of these teams:

San Jose
Chicago
Anaheim
Columbus
Arizona
Montreal
Ottawa
They are all taking Celebrini if they get the #1st.

San Jose needs high profile Ds, they mostly drafted forwards/centers high in the draft since 2019, Ds have been 4th round+.

Chicago prospect pool is light on Ds, but might got for a forward if they think he's much better than the available Ds. They started their rebuild so they need for everything.

Anaheim should try to replace the RD they traded for Gauthier, but they seems to love drafting/acquiring centers.

Columbus might go D since they keep trading them, but I can see them taking a winger too.

Arizona reached for Simashev last year and Lamoureux in 2022, and neither are that amazing. I expect them to go D again.

Ottawa need a top D who can play defense.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I've resigned myself to the idea that this pick is getting traded

Yeah, I'm kind of there too. I wish they wouldn't though. We need the forward depth. I'm not sure who they could bring in with that pick, anyway.

I would prefer to go with lesser known young forwards who we could trade our late 2nd/one of our 3rds for.

Reactions: habsfan891

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The two teams that worry me a bit or Anaheim and Columbus.

I think it will be between Dickinson and Lindstrom for Anaheim. Likewise for Columbus. My base case right now is that Lindstrom is gone when we pick but demidov is there. However this only works if Dickinson is still there when the first of Anaheim or cbj picks.

Anaheim doesn't worry me that much, look at their forward core:
Troy Terry, Trevor Zegras, Cutter Gauthier, Leo Carlsson and Mason MacTavish

The defense is Mintyukov but then the next best are Luneau and Zellweger, neither are true blue chippers. They just traded Drysdale.

So I think defense is for sure in Anaheim.

Columbus is a wildcard, they can go either way. I hope Silayev is available for them because that would fit their MO.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Seems to be more than obvious that the Blue Jackets will take a forward. In the last three drafts they took 3 first round defencemen. Werenski is 26. Provorov is 27. There’s no one in the system that they can play with Fantilli except maybe Brindley. Cole Sillinger isn’t developing like they had hoped. Perfect spot for Demidov really, considering they already have a few younger Russians.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think it's a good time to do it... as long as we are able to add a key piece to our core that fit Suzuki and Caufield's age. Add to the fact that at the 5-7 range spot, there are undersized forwards and D available. Not the pieces we need.

Haven't paid attention to this drafting thread but doubt Eiserman slips to 5-7 right? I think he's going in the top 3. If not Celebrini, I would want Eiserman. And yes, I'm aware of the slipping narrative. Hopefully teams ahead of us take the D men or the smaller skilled forwards. I just don't see Eiserman slipping that much when I look at the talent around him after Celebrini.

What's the scouting report on Iginla? Ranked mid 1st round I believe.
I believe concensus right now is Eiserman is more likely to go outside the top 10 then in the top 3

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Seems to be more than obvious that the Blue Jackets will take a forward. In the last three drafts they took 3 first round defencemen. Werenski is 26. Provorov is 27. There’s no one in the system that they can play with Fantilli except maybe Brindley. Cole Sillinger isn’t developing like they had hoped. Perfect spot for Demidov really, considering they already have a few younger Russians.

Lindstrom seems to fit their bill a lot, too.

I'm hoping they get enamored with Silayev though.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Lindstrom seems to fit their bill a lot, too.

I'm hoping they get enamored with Silayev though.
Yeah I didn’t want to bring his name up because I really don’t want it to happen but they seem to have a hole at 2C if they are moving Johnson to the wing. Fantilli and Lindstrom would be wild. That would suck for the Habs, but plenty of good forwards available.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The two teams that worry me a bit or Anaheim and Columbus.

I think it will be between Dickinson and Lindstrom for Anaheim. Likewise for Columbus. My base case right now is that Lindstrom is gone when we pick but demidov is there. However this only works if Dickinson is still there when the first of Anaheim or cbj picks.
If Montreal didn't have a logjam at D, I would be more excited to add Dickinson than Lindstrom.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Anaheim doesn't worry me that much, look at their forward core:
Troy Terry, Trevor Zegras, Cutter Gauthier, Leo Carlsson and Mason MacTavish

The defense is Mintyukov but then the next best are Luneau and Zellweger, neither are true blue chippers. They just traded Drysdale.

So I think defense is for sure in Anaheim.

Columbus is a wildcard, they can go either way. I hope Silayev is available for them because that would fit their MO.
I would say RHD is a need too for them. I suspect Yak/Lev would be high on their list and will be considered too. We should have a better idea of what they will do when Grant’s list comes out as he is close to Timmins

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Columbus (and Anaheim) fan popping in. I just want to say how much I appreciate this thread. I check in on it every day to see what you guys are discussing, and I have learned so much about this year's draft class because of your conversations. It's also given me such an appreciation for the needs of other teams in the bottom this year.

(also, we Jackets fans generally agree that they'll just take their BPA no matter position, since the pool doesn't really have a glaring need. Could use a C, could use an RHD, could go for Demidov for the reasons listed above. The lottery will be very interesting. And it's guaranteed that if we pick after Anaheim, they will take the player we wanted and we'll take our second choice. It's now happened every year since 2021).

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If I had to put the top two fits for a team, excluding Celebrini

Chicago - Levshunov/Dickinson
San Jose - Dickinson/Levshunov
Anaheim - Levshunov/Yakemchuk
CBJ - Lindstrom/Silayev
Arizona - Levshunov/Yakemchuk
So Demidov for sure and an outside chance at Lindstrom….gotta finish 5 or 6th

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I don’t think we have anyone of Jack Eichel and Mark Stone caliber
Slaf definitely can be the Stone comparable. No Eichel but Suzuki will fill those shoes.

Matheson vs Pietrangelo tho…woof

Last edited:

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Question for everyone. If Montreal doesn't win the lottery which team would you like to win it and why?
Im thinking the Blue Jackets myself. I hate the idea of the #1 pick in the Eastern conference but I feel they are taking a forward regardless of their position. In this senerio it's more likely a forward falls to Montreal.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Question for everyone. If Montreal doesn't win the lottery which team would you like to win it and why?
Im thinking the Blue Jackets myself. I hate the idea of the #1 pick in the Eastern conference but I feel they are taking a forward regardless of their position. In this senerio it's more likely a forward falls to Montreal.
Calgary for me. Hometown team and they could use a break.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Anyone besides for Chicago/Ottawa/Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Andrei79

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Columbus, they're most likely team above us to take a forward. So give them one anyone is taking at 1 and hope the next 4-5 picks are the d men

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Always thinking two steps ahead.

I don’t care who wins as long as it’s not the Sens. Also fully expecting the Pens to magically win the lottery.

Nah, they'll wait til 2026, so they can get Gavin McKenna. Crosby's contract ends after next season just before he turns 38. They'll definitely be a bottom team by 2025-2026.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Seeing as that nice fan visiting us from Columbus....I'll say them or the Ducks.

I would hate it the most if a team leaps from behind us and wins the lottery. Ie. Ottawa, Buffalo, Calgary and Pittsburgh. Seattle would be the only one, that I wouldn't care too much. But still, I don't want anyone jumping us!

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I would be shocked if the top 6 picks werent filled with defensemen. A top pairing defenseman has to be one of the most difficult asset to acquire. Just ask any of the Canadian franchises.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad