HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
At 7th, celebrini, catton, levshunov, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Buium are all off the board. Russian factor is there and I don’t see a team risking to pick Demidov. Anyway, Those players are all top lines projection. I see demidov, silayev been pick around 6-10th. At that point, it will be something between Helenius, Eiserman and Iginla. Pick the best.

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
The real question is what to do they do if Lindstrom and Demidov is off the board.

Sure we can say historically size is part of their evaluation, with what short history we do have with this group.. but once Lindstrom is gone, the next top forwards are all pretty much not that big.. and Demidov himself isn't big either.

Catton is 5'11
Eiserman is an inch taller but plays softer and more perimeter
Helenius is also 5'11

That's it for top 10 rated forwards.

So, at a certain point the size factor isn't going to be there and none of their options play a heavy game. As much as I like MBN, I can't see them taking him at 6-8.
If so, I think Catton would be the obvious choice if he's still there. If not, well, the pick could become tradable if there's something worth it. And by that, I mean a young top 6 that has already showed some value at the NHL level. I'd even add a prospect or/and a pick to get THE guy

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I can't decide if this is Entry Draft or Trade talk material.
Thinking out of the box because "expect the unexpected"...

If:
- our post-lottery position is 5th-6th-7th-8th
- by the time we pick, Celebrini/Demidov/Lindstrom are gone
- for the sake of the argument, we don't want to draft a D

Do we:
- draft and develop Catton/Iginla/Helenius/Eiserman, or
- trade that pick in a package for Dvorsky?

I keep circling back to the fact that Dalibor (best name in the biz) just checks every box we would have for this year's pick.
Big, mobile, C/RW projectable on a winning top 6, LHS, very clutch, excellent D+1 season @1.7ppg in OHL (after a failed experiment in the worst SHL team), links with Slaf but even younger...
I know some people didn't like his ceiling last year, but was that recalibrated after his year on North American ice?

I'm looking at the Blues' depth charts and their D needs a boost. They're old and their prospects are long shots.
Adding Dickinson/Silayev/Yakemchuk/Buium/Parekh would accomplish something, and in the right order to kickstart their rebuild (D before F).

On the other hand, I don't hate their forward prospects (Snug, Stenberg, Neighbours) and Thomas/Kyrou are still young.
Think "selling high from a position of force" for the Blues.

Value wise, the Blues would get a higher pick than where they drafted DD, but that's moot since he is developing above expectations(?).
If they have a huge man-crush on (say) Silayev, maybe there's something.

Curious to hear mainly about your updated opinion on Dvorsky, and where you guys would put D+1 Dvorsky in comparison to this year's likely leftovers.

Reactions: Kent Nilsson

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I doubt Demidov is skipped passed pick #5. He seems to be the forward with the highest ceiling after Celibrini and if I'm not mistaken, his KHL deal is 1 year or below.

Silayev on the other hand, has 3 years minimum to go. Ceiling-wise it's not that high. He's still pretty shy offensively and his slappers are often blind. He needs work in the Dzone, and in general has a lot to work to do to get his toolkit NHL ready. Something teams won't be able to address before that 3 years period ends, unless they like risking getting arrested for spying.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The real question is what to do they do if Lindstrom and Demidov is off the board.

Sure we can say historically size is part of their evaluation, with what short history we do have with this group.. but once Lindstrom is gone, the next top forwards are all pretty much not that big.. and Demidov himself isn't big either.

Catton is 5'11
Helenius is also 5'11

So, at a certain point the size factor isn't going to be there and none of their options play a heavy game. As much as I like MBN, I can't see them taking him at 6-8.
I don’t think Teams are gonna select Demidov in top 5 at the draft. 2 factors. Russia and MHL. Anyone knows why he didnt play in the VHL or KHL btw?
There is players without thoses risk and personnally, I think he is gonna be availlable as Michkov last year at 6 or 7th position

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not that it's worth much since it's obviously different from consensus, but in terms of my rankings the difference between MBN and 8th place would be roughly equivalent to the difference between Reimbacher and 5th last year. I wouldn't rule it out if they're determined to fill the hole at RW.

Except we know from noise around the combine and the draft that in actuality Reinbacher was seen as the 5th best prospect. If MBN gets that same bump, sure, as of right now he doesn't have that billing.

Iginla

Tij Iginla

Not a top 10 rated forward as of now.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I don’t think Teams are gonna select Demidov in top 5 at the draft. 2 factors. Russia and MHL. Anyone knows why he didnt play in the VHL or KHL btw?
There is players without thoses risk and personnally, I think he is gonna be availlable as Michkov last year at 6 or 7th position
Because he has another year to his contract and he probably refuse to sign a contract extension with SKA because he wants to come to the NHL after his contract is up. Those teams doesn't care to help the development of players like Demidov if it doesn't benefit their teams.

skidcells

May 11, 2023

Catton is 5'11
Helenius is also 5'11

If Lindstrom and Demidov are gone then I agree with goldenhands they’ll pick one of helenius or iginla. It’s the archetype they like. Complete players with high compete levels.

Reactions: Goldenhands

austin316

Oct 4, 2016

Catton is 5'11
Helenius is also 5'11

If Lindstrom and Demidov are off the board I am taking Yakemchuk or Dickinson and solidifying our D for the next 10+ years.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It looks like pre-lottery we'll be 6th or 7th. As long as we don't fall back that's fine for this particular draft.

The really good news is it looks like Winnipeg could actually end up around #23. That puts it into Hage, Boisvert, Chernyshov, Hemming territory. It's also a better position to potentially move up from.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Chernyshov. Don't think Artamonov is a first rounder. His compete is lower and I prefer Chernyshov's passing and shooting game. Artamonov's IQ is not very impressive from what I've seen, Chernyshov is at least average.
Neither not impressed by them.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Lindstrom and Demidov are off the board I am taking Yakemchuk or Dickinson and solidifying our D for the next 10+ years.

Neither one of them will be on the board if we are picking at a spot where both those guys are gone, too. Dickinson especially.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
#7 = Catton
#25 = Parascak
#58 = Justin Poirier (local guy)
#71 = Simon Zether (RHC)
#79 = Luca Marrelli (RHD)

My wish ;-)

Reactions: crosbyshow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad