2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Unsure about Letourneau.. I'll guess that no one in here has seen him enough to have a real opinion on him though.

Would be down with Demidov this year.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Unsure about Letourneau.. I'll guess that no one in here has seen him enough to have a real opinion on him though.
I've seen a couple games.

I don't really see a 1st rounder.

He reminds me a bit of Victor Ejdsell.

The intrigue is in his size because if he hits in some way, you've got a player with an appealing build.

He's going to a good program so maybe if you let him cook in the NCAA for 3-4 years, he might put it all together.

Wouldn't mind it as a 2nd round swing, but that Tampa pick is too high for me.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Masse is not a Davidson type unless he drops far into the 2nd. There's too many good skater (Davidson's key priority) in the first 35-40.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Musto you’re scaring me on the main boards. I will be furious if the pick is Dickinson regardless of where we are, he’s low on my list regarding guys going top 10.

I think the pick needs to be forward. We don’t have enough high end forwards yet. Whether it’s Demidov, Lindstrom, Tij whatever.

With the emergence of Vlasic and Korchinski, and Kaiser, EDM and Allan well on their way, it makes sense to get those high end forwards while we have the chance.

Last edited:

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Musto you’re scaring me on the main boards. I will be furious if the pick is Dickinson regardless of where we are, he’s low on my list regarding guys going top 10.

I think the pick needs to be forward. We don’t have enough high end forwards yet. Whether it’a Demidov, Lindstrom, Tij whatever.

With the emergence of Vlasic and Korchinski, and Kaiser, EDM and Allan well on their way, it makes sense to get those high end forwards while we have the chance.
I agree with you. D depth is solid. Hawks can pick Hensler next year with their 1st. Go for Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Connelly.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

I think the pick needs to be forward. We don’t have enough high end forwards yet. Whether it’s Demidov, Lindstrom, Tij whatever.

I'm with you for the most part. I don't think drafting a D is a bad thing, but the prospect of getting a top liner who can cook with Bedard is just so much easier to get excited about.

I just fear that Dickinson is #2 on Kyle's board and he will go into the draft with him in his sights. Much like Korchinski and Rinzel where those were the guys he wanted and he went in and got them regardless of if it was ahead of consensus. Glad Doneghey was still able to get his guy (Nazar) too.

I genuinely curious what the conversations are going to be like between Davidson and Doneghey. I wonder if they'll be split.

Hopefully we win the lotto so we can avoid all of this.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
I'm with you for the most part. I don't think drafting a D is a bad thing, but the prospect of getting a top liner who can cook with Bedard is just so much easier to get excited about.

I just fear that Dickinson is #2 on Kyle's board and he will go into the draft with him in his sights. Much like Korchinski and Rinzel where those were the guys he wanted and he went in and got them regardless of if it was ahead of consensus. Glad Doneghey was still able to get his guy (Nazar) too.

I genuinely curious what the conversations are going to be like between Davidson and Doneghey. I wonder if they'll be split.

Hopefully we win the lotto so we can avoid all of this.
Sounds like they’ll be like the Islanders then. Basically a good defensive team who has trouble scoring lol

We need a Kucherov to our Stamkos (Bedard). Hopefully guys like Moore, Nazar, and Reichel can be good complimentary pieces

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013

@TLEH will love this. Elite Prospects with a video on Catton.

The more I see of Catton-- He possess the Kane --"water-bug skating" NOT the fastest--but extremely fast in ALL directions-- and A+ on starts/stops in all directions. Excellent awareness in O zone.

I am staying away from Lindstrom (injury issues) -- Rather have Iginla- if they Go Power forward type

Mjul Qvist

Nov 28, 2009
I am staying away from Lindstrom (injury issues) -- Rather have Iginla- if they Go Power forward type

If scouts find out that Lindstrom´s injury issues are not a problem I´m more than fine with him being the pick. Celebrini is obvious and Demidov is my second choice. I wouldn´t count Helenius out either.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So now just 4GR remain for the Blackhawks ...so on to my 9th attempt running Tankathon NHL Draft Simulator since 12GR..

This time the resuts was we pick at#2..

So the results after 9 lotto draws the Tankathon Sim results for the Hawks are:

@#1 once
@# 2 2 times
@#3 3 times
@#4 3 times

3 more attempts coming (one attempt before each of the final 3 games) till the end of this experiment.

Of course the Tankathon algorithm is one thing;Uncle Gary fixing things for the Hawks to land Celebrini is another discussion entirely.

Whatever happens if Hawks do not get Velebrini there is a lot of options on who to take at any spot from 2 thru 4...

Demidov may be a Panarin except better defensively ...
Lindstrom fills need for Big physical Powe C =2C

Or on D ..it is just too hard to ignore the numbers for Zayne Parekh...Solves Right Shot RD search ...best goal scorerxamong dmen in this draft...96 point regularxseason...Fantastic +/- numbers...Not a defensive liability at all..vSt improvement defensively this sesson over last..cones from more confidence ..The most deceptive puck career I the draft when he attacks..

The 2 highest rankings for hom are Craig Button who has homat #3
And Dobber who have honat #6..

My viewcus that he should be the top dman target but that we probably start thinking that at #4 given celebrini Demidov and Lindstrom all go top 3 .

At least that is how KD is probably looking at it...3 top forward targets have to gooff the biard before he switches to D targets in a stacked drFt for D prospects.

It is possible that if Hawks draft 4th that a LD may go I top 3 (San Dickenson)...but Hawks have EdM and Allan and even Kaiser to fill spits behind Vlasic as KD...and we may still draft a LD with Akfobs Frej if he is still there with the TB pick...so IF our top 3 forwards targets all off the board should we pick 4th THEN choice for KD fir a RD wiukd be between Levshuniv and Parekh..

My choice would be to take Parekh who has a higher ceiling for star impact...Levshunov has a safe floor for I think a 2RD replacing Connor Barfy..

But if we draft Parekh thecpitebtial is a 1D inoact guy who only has to pkay 2RD not because he cannot be a 1RD but because $9.5 is locked in tgere...though the #1PP qb would be Parekh abd Seth Jonesxwoukd only get 2nd PP duty manning right point.

However. Again ...KD I exoectxwill go with tge 3 top forwRds(Celebrini Demidov or Lindstrom) depending on whether we land at #1#2or #3..

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Have not seen a roster announced yet for Canada u18 s going to the IIHF Mens Wold u18 Championship tournament ...tgey arevorobably waiting for 1 more playoff series in each of
the 3 3 CHL leagues to finish.

But with Medicine Hat and Spokane eliminated in WHL playoffs in round one series ,expect Cayden Lindstrom and Berkly Catton to be on that team..

Macklin Cekebrini's NCAA career will end Saturday at the Frozen Four ...no matter what happens tonight ....BU pkays Denver in the early 4pm CT game ..if BU wins they pkay forctge Championship on Saturday..If they lose to Denver they play the first game vs the kisrr of Michigan vs Boston College which is the late game tonight at the Frozen Four.

But once Bu's season is over at the Frozen FourvCelebrini still couldvpjay for Canada at thecu18s ...however his agent could nix that fearing a serious injury there affect his going #1 at the draft ...so not certain if he is on the team or not.

Dean Letourneau coukd be on the team ...except he had an injury at the end of his seSon for St.Abdrews...so not sure if he is 100% healthy or not .

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Draft lists always amuse me. Iginla was a mid first rounder for a long time. A good month and he's a shoe in for a top ten pick.

I've been high on him for months. Like pro scouts should be better.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Draft lists always amuse me. Iginla was a mid first rounder for a long time. A good month and he's a shoe in for a top ten pick.

I've been high on him for months. Like pro scouts should be better.
It's a bit odd.

I had Slafkovsky at #1 early in his draft while others still had him outside the top 5.

Then eventually he started climbing, and ultimately went there on draft night.

It's like, who were you watching before? But it happens. Sometimes you end up watching some off nights.

In the case of Iginla, his rate of improvement over the course of the season was pretty staggering. Good on you for noticing it early. I don't think he's the same player today as he was back in November.

Reactions: TLEH

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It's a bit odd.

I had Slafkovsky at #1 early in his draft while others still had him outside the top 5.

Then eventually he started climbing, and ultimately went there on draft night.

It's like, who were you watching before? But it happens. Sometimes you end up watching some off nights.

In the case of Iginla, his rate of improvement over the course of the season was pretty staggering. Good on you for noticing it early. I don't think he's the same player today as he was back in November.
I feel like a lot of it has to do with group conscious. If he's sixteen on everyone's board you can't have him at five because if you're wrong it'll be pointed at and laughed at. As much shit I've piled around your door I've always given you credit because you love who you love. I've never carried water for Cristall. You have.

If he becomes a NHL regular you'll have me appreciating your off the board picks more. TLEH scouts in the way I do. I appreciate him for that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Have not seen a roster announced yet for Canada u18 s going to the IIHF Mens Wold u18 Championship tournament ...tgey arevorobably waiting for 1 more playoff series in each of
the 3 3 CHL leagues to finish.

But with Medicine Hat and Spokane eliminated in WHL playoffs in round one series ,expect Cayden Lindstrom and Berkly Catton to be on that team..

Macklin Cekebrini's NCAA career will end Saturday at the Frozen Four ...no matter what happens tonight ....BU pkays Denver in the early 4pm CT game ..if BU wins they pkay forctge Championship on Saturday..If they lose to Denver they play the first game vs the kisrr of Michigan vs Boston College which is the late game tonight at the Frozen Four.

But once Bu's season is over at the Frozen FourvCelebrini still couldvpjay for Canada at thecu18s ...however his agent could nix that fearing a serious injury there affect his going #1 at the draft ...so not certain if he is on the team or not.

Dean Letourneau coukd be on the team ...except he had an injury at the end of his seSon for St.Abdrews...so not sure if he is 100% healthy or not .
Celebrini went there last year. He’s not gonna go back again.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Some of it is group think. "People have him at 5, what am I missing to have him at 15?" Type deal. I think some of it is that guys also progress a lot month to month.

Not agreeing with someone is more than fine. Watch what you watch and make an opinion. Musto contributes plenty to this board, whether I agree or not.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Some of it is group think. "People have him at 5, what am I missing to have him at 15?" Type deal.
I think so yeah.

It does make me double back on certain prospects to confirm if I was missing something or not.

Reactions: TLEH

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think so yeah.

It does make me double back on certain prospects to confirm if I was missing something or not.
Also some luck involved when at our level. Just doing it for fun. Watching guys across all countries, regions. No one has time for watching 10 games of every player. So some of it is just luck seeing the guy playing his game well. Maybe I'll see a guy twice and he just wasn't good. Other guy sees him twice and he's amazing.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Some of it is group think. "People have him at 5, what am I missing to have him at 15?" Type deal. I think some of it is that guys also progress a lot month to month.

Not agreeing with someone is more than fine. Watch what you watch and make an opinion. Musto contributes plenty to this board, whether I agree or not.
Definitely. I just ask people to comment on guys they've seen. I'm very open about not having an opinion on the kids I haven't. I just wish that was talked about honestly.

Reactions: hawksrule and TLEH

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Also some luck involved when at our level. Just doing it for fun. Watching guys across all countries, regions. No one has time for watching 10 games of every player. So some of it is just luck seeing the guy playing his game well. Maybe I'll see a guy twice and he just wasn't good. Other guy sees him twice and he's amazing.
Yeah the biggest thing we miss out on, imo, is the behind the scenes stuff.

I'd love to have insight on how much of a rink rat a prospect is.

Last year I heard Oscar Fisker Mølgaard was like that. Just an absolute sponge who would study every facet of the game and it was like nothing could satiate his hunger to learn more. That bumped him up my list a bit.

But in most cases, unless it ends up in the media, we can't really know about that stuff. And I think that drive is a defining factor in who succeeds at the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad