NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1702873079742.png

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Watched Calgary vs. Swift Current yesterday.

If we're looking for a RD we could do a lot worse than Carter Yakemchuk from the Hitmen. He needs to work on his edge work and commitment to defense but he plays with his head up. He's a smart player who plays a pretty hard game. If we can't get Silayev he wouldn't be a bad target for us (depending where we end).

He seemed to almost like defense version of Brady Tkachuk. LOL.

Unlikely he falls to us with the DET/BOS pick but he might be a trade down option. He'll be a top 4 D in the NHL, almost for sure, IMO.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I wouldn't mind Clarke Caswell from the Broncos in the 3rd or 4th round as well. Not very big but he made some really smart plays both offensively and defensively.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We went deep in the playoffs in 2017, then immediately went into a rebuild. This is the 7th season since

Montreal went even deeper in the playoffs in 2021, then immediately went into a rebuild. This is the 3rd season since

The fact that they are above us in the standings is a TOTAL embarrassment and puts the light on how bad Pierre Dorion was.

And it is even more embarrassing when you consider the wealth of assets both teams started their rebuilds with. I have hinted at this before, got mocked again by the usual suspects.

With all the context and everything, even looking at possibly adding a Top-10 pick is not even a consolation prize

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We went deep in the playoffs in 2017, then immediately went into a rebuild. This is the 7th season since

Montreal went even deeper in the playoffs in 2021, then immediately went into a rebuild. This is the 3rd season since

The fact that they are above us in the standings is a TOTAL embarrassment and puts the light on how bad Pierre Dorion was.

And it is even more embarrassing when you consider the wealth of assets both teams started their rebuilds with. I have hinted at this before, got mocked again by the usual suspects.

With all the context and everything, even looking at possibly adding a Top-10 pick is not even a consolation prize
I would say it's more DJ Smith being a junior coach than the roster assembled.

Montreal's roster is putrid, as is their 1st overall pick whatever his name is

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Why do you always omit that we spent assets to circumvent the cap floor and we were not allowed to “buy” draft capital like Montreal and other teams.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Dorion is by far the biggest reason. He hired DJ he assembled the roster. DJ isnt nearlyl as bad as so many want to blame. His message got stale by the time they had anything close to a team that could be competitive.

Everyone shitting on Slafkovsky should really pay attention to Byfields development. The raw ability, like Byfield is there. He's only 19 going into his second NHL season missed alot of dev time ahead for a player that always had a longer development curve.

Why do you always omit that we spent assets to circumvent the cap floor and we were not allowed to “buy” draft capital like Montreal and other teams.
They still had way more assets to start with. Dorion has burned 3 straights top 11 picks in the middle of a rebuild. Theres no debate he's in the mike Milbury range of worst GM's in the history of the NHL.

The guy Arizona picked with the sens pick is 6'9 . Has 8 goals and 15 points in 29 KHL games shoots the puck like semin and can fly.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dorion is by far the biggest reason. He hired DJ he assembled the roster. DJ isnt nearlyl as bad as so many want to blame. His message got stale by the time they had anything close to a team that could be competitive.

Everyone shitting on Slafkovsky should really pay attention to Byfields development. The raw ability, like Byfield is there. He's only 19 going into his second NHL season missed alot of dev time ahead for a player that always had a longer development curve.

They still had way more assets to start with. Dorion has burned 3 straights top 11 picks in the middle of a rebuild. Theres no debate he's in the mike Milbury range of worst GM's in the history of the NHL.

The guy Arizona picked with the sens pick is 6'9 . Has 8 goals and 15 points in 29 KHL games shoots the puck like semin and can fly.
I’m not defending the mistakes, all teams make mistakes but due to Melnyk we didn’t have the financial ability to overcome them.

I’m not defending the mistakes, all teams make mistakes but due to Melnyk we didn’t have the financialability to overcome them.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
God I hope we don’t reach on a RHD again. Just go BPA and trade that asset later if you have a greater need.

One of my favourite all time players Jarome Iginla's son in this years entry draft. " Tij Iginla has struggled for consistency as of late, but when he’s hot, his shot can be so difficult to handle. Beyond the scoresheet, Iginla is flashy, defensively reliable and can land a big hit, too. Sounds a little like someone we might remember." 2023-2024 Kelowna RocketsWHL 31 GP 24G 16A 40Pts

Funny that he’s a lefty. Interesting prospect for sure.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Because it's impossible to say everything in every post. In another post on sunday I said "you could take on some contracts (although that was limited for us with the Melnyk factor) "

Happy now?

Well, Dorion chose DJ Smith himself and stuck with him until the last minute.

Of course we have a good roster as we have been missing the playoffs for 6 straight years going into a full rebuild. We have had three Top-5 picks (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sanderson) who are pretty much our best players. Chabot and Batherson (and Formenton) were drafted before the rebuild, Joseph was obtained for a player we already had in our prospect pool. Norris and Brannstrom were acquired by trading a 3-times Norris winner and a PPG Selke level winger. That's pretty much what we have to show for the whole firesale where we started with more valuable assets than pretty much any other team in NHL history going into a rebuild.

Dorion and co did some good, signing Zub, drafting Pinto and Greig, signing Giroux and Tarasenko as UFAs and the Chychrun trade. But is that all through 7 seasons? I mean, Pinto and Greig were still picked at good draft spots, considering how many quality picks a rebuilding team should have, you're bound to hit once in a while. We're lucky Giroux is from the area and to get Chychrun, we used a 12th OA pick and two 2nds... I guess we have to be ultra thankful that Dorion didn't screw up on a 3rd + 4th + 5th OA picks like he did with the Boucher pick...

Oh and regarding Slafkovsky, don't be too hopeful too fast, Habs fans/medias have been talking about him as one of the team's best players for more than a month... Points are not there yet but he's still 19 y/o...

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Don't rush to judgement on Slafkovsky. He's 19, 6'3 238 , can move, big and strong and score. He was rushed a bit but is coming around and I think he is going to be a monster on the boards , particularly down low in the Ozone. .. very tough to handle.

They have a few really nice prospects in their system. The putrid Habs are over 500 and ahead of the glorious Sens.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
God I hope we don’t reach on a RHD again. Just go BPA and trade that asset later if you have a greater need.

If we're picking in the 6-12 range (likely), we probably won't need to reach to grab a RD. There should be a few good ones available in that range:

- Artyom Levshunov (probably goes top 5 but we'll see how the year shakes out)
- Adam Jiricek
- Anton Silayev (a 6'7 monster)
- Carter Yakemchuk
- Zayne Parekh

This year is loaded with high-end RD.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Don't rush to judgement on Slafkovsky. He's 19, 6'3 238 , can move, big and strong and score. He was rushed a bit but is coming around and I think he is going to be a monster on the boards , particularly down low in the Ozone. .. very tough to handle.

They have a few really nice prospects in their system. The putrid Habs are over 500 and ahead of the glorious Sens.

I can understand the poster, seeing that the Habs are way ahead in their rebuild despite 4 rebuild years less is not easy to accept. Of course Sens fans are looking for ways to cope with this.

Considering what has happened ever since that legendary 2020 Sens draft, we pretty much struck out on everything since so Staios needs to go FLAWLESS for a while if we want to have a chance to turn this rebuild into something good.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I can understand the poster, seeing that the Habs are way ahead in their rebuild despite 4 rebuild years less is not easy to accept. Of course Sens fans are looking for ways to cope with this.

Considering what has happened ever since that legendary 2020 Sens draft, we pretty much struck out on everything since so Staios needs to go FLAWLESS for a while if we want to have a chance to turn this rebuild into something good.
Definitely has to succeed with a few critical moves to reshape the team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Have you seen Ottawa play though? It's hilarious. I've seen better structured junior teams - seriously.
And if Slaf becomes something, then great, but it's a stretch for a 1st OV IMO.

lol, don't put words in my mouth, thank you. I'm not at all envious of Montreal's rebuild - not even slightly. We have better pieces in Ottawa, now I want a coach to put it together.

Coping with Montreal being ahead of us in the rebuild, f*** off.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Have you seen Ottawa play though? It's hilarious. I've seen better structured junior teams - seriously.
And if Slaf becomes something, then great, but it's a stretch for a 1st OV IMO.

lol, don't put words in my mouth, thank you. I'm not at all envious of Montreal's rebuild - not even slightly. We have better pieces in Ottawa, now I want a coach to put it together.

Coping with Montreal being ahead of us in the rebuild, f*** off

it might have been a much different story, if the Habs had NOT passed on Brady…. But they did,,and gifted the Senators

1703174540888.png

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If we're picking in the 6-12 range (likely), we probably won't need to reach to grab a RD. There should be a few good ones available in that range:

- Artyom Levshunov (probably goes top 5 but we'll see how the year shakes out)
- Adam Jiricek
- Anton Silayev (a 6'7 monster)
- Carter Yakemchuk
- Zayne Parekh

This year is loaded with high-end RD.

If best player is a RHD great! Pick him. I’m also fine with taking the RHD when it’s a toss up. But we’ve had a few swing and miss on RHD at premier picks lately who looked like reaches in JBD, Lassi and Roger. I just don’t want that.

Silayev looks incredible but he’s a lefty

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad