NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I am liking Henry Mews as a target for the Boston pick.

6’0 RD
61 points in 65 games
More known for his IQ and hockey sense. Not flashy. Reminds me a bit of Josh Morrissey.
Born in Ottawa
Plays for Ottawa 67s and a former sens coach
The captain at Canadas U17s

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
We're 14th in the league in goals per game despite a PP that has underwhelmed. We could probably use a pp coach, but the team has plenty of firepower. When Giroux leaves or ages out, we'll have an extra 6 mil in the budget to address the loss, I do worry about Norris' future though.

I think the team sacrifices defense to boost offense. With more talent, especially a talent that can create room for other players we can play tighter and possibly improve the offense.

And we really only have 1 offensive game breaker, most great teams seem to have 2 or more.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Need has to be taken completely out of the equation at the top of the draft.

Don't want to end up with Hayton's, KK's or Juolevi's rather than Dobson's, Tkachuk's or Hughes' because your team has a current need.

Take who the staff see's having the largest impact in the league regardless of position. If that happens to be at a position they have a need for, even better. If they have an abundance of that already, deal with that in time.

Be that offensive F or D, Defensive F or D, W or C. Rank the top of your draft board by total impact in the league.

If you have guys that are valued the same, then use need to choose one or the other.
This draft has a lot of players that are in the same tier though. Like so many different players can go #2 . They all have high upside.

So if we have a group of players that are on the same level it can make sense to just pick the element your team needs most.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This draft has a lot of players that are in the same tier though. Like so many different players can go #2 . They all have high upside.

So if we have a group of players that are on the same level it can make sense to just pick the element your team needs most.

The holes in the roster that need to be filled immediately very very likely cannot be filled from this draft. We need a NHL top 4 RD now . We have to look at UFA or a Trade to fill that need to help now.. not in 2-3 years how ever long it takes for that player to be ready to fill that role without any kind of sheltering.

Realistically this team has a few holes and looking down the line our immediate needs will change , that can be at any position including where we are perceived to have a strength right now. We will want to improve at every position. I agree you pick the player you think will have the biggest impact , you project to be the best player ; as evaluated and ordered on your draft board.

The Sens are in a shitty spot wrt high impact prospects because of the big name chasing and trying to rush the rebuild coupled with a poor vision of roster construction... We now have to begin replenishing the prospect pool and when those players are ready to take a spot regardless of where in the lineup that spot is you make room and make your team better.

If you evaluate 2 players equally you tip the scales the way you see fit. The top 10-11 beyond #1 seem close but the Sens will have a list ordered on how they evaluate them , whether we agree or not, and they won't view them all equally.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

If the team has guys in the same tier, then sure they should use position as a deciding factor for sure. That type of ranking at the top of the draft isn’t likely to materialize.

I don’t think that’s very likely, like 2020 there was a group of 6/7 guys that everyone here thought were in the same grouping, but teams themselves will very rarely have tiers like that at the top of the draft. They have their list and have guys at the top, like Sanderson was in 2020 for the Sens.

Once you get to the 2nd round and further, you start getting to the point where tiers of guys may be relevant for teams on the draft floor, but at the top they have their top ranked guys for the most part.

They’ll hammer out their ~90-100 player ranking for the draft, and they will probably have them tiered into rounds they’d be willing to take them, but I’d be surprised if they had tiers inside those rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Micklebot

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think the tiers in this draft class will be more fluid than in previous years.

I suspect the toolsy projectable guys like Silayev, Lindstrom, Dickinson and Levshunov will all go somewhere in the top 7 after Celebrini, but beyond that it's anyone's guess.

If we finish 7th/8th and a team picking 2-4 spots lower is offering something nice (say a couple 2nds or a late 1st) to move up, I'd strongly consider it because there's a bunch of players in the 7-13 range that appear to be of similar quality.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

6’0 RD
61 points in 65 games
More known for his IQ and hockey sense. Not flashy. Reminds me a bit of Josh Morrissey.
Born in Ottawa
Iginla and Mews, sign me up!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Mews hasn’t progressed this season as much as I expected, I would be hesitant picking him unless the Boston pick is in the 28-32 range.

Yeah I suspect he'll be a day 2 guy, but I doubt we'll be interested in him regardless.

Unless our scouting staff's philosophy has changed significantly since Mann's departure we'll continue to be focused on players with sharp upward development curves, NHL tools (size, speed) and toughness/physicality.

If we're talking RDs potentially available around the end of the 1st, guys like Elick, Emery, Brunicke, Roberts, etc... probably are more likely targets than Mews.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I really hope the Sens get Parekh, high high end talent, I think he'll be a great player like Karllson and Fox. The vision, quickness, manoeuvrability, creativity, I think this guy will be a special player. I would pick him 2nd in the draft.

Reactions: Alex1234

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa
First try. Who are we selecting second overall?
1711551219231.png

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Assuming we don’t get the 1oa pick, I hope we land a top RD with our top pick, and another RD with our late first/early second that is more physically imposing and defensively focused.
Mews could be ok, but based on literally a few sentences in a few prospect blogs :cool: I think emery or elick would be a better fit for a later pick.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

6’0 RD
61 points in 65 games
Born in Ottawa
Have you watched much of him?....

Critical that we stay in the bottom 5
Montreal and Arizona are so bad and now Ottawa's goalies are starting to play well. The sens will be lucky to pick #7.

Reactions: DJB

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Id be so disappointed if Dickinson is who they end up with. Would be the worst case scenario in my opinion. 30th is also likely a worst case scenario for Bostons pick too. I just dont see them winning anything significant. I think this is about as bad a situations as it can be for Ottawa.

Dickinson is a LD the strongest position of organizational strength and the lowest upside of anyone in the top 11.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Id be so disappointed if Dickinson is who they end up with. Would be the worst case scenario in my opinion. 30th is also likely a worst case scenario for Bostons pick too. I just dont see them winning anything significant. I think this is about as bad a situations as it can be for Ottawa.

Dickinson is a LD the strongest position of organizational strength and the lowest upside of anyone in the top 11.

I'm surprised you feel that way.

Dickinson is pretty much a guaranteed two-way top 4 D and absolutely has top pairing upside.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm surprised you feel that way.

Dickinson is pretty much a guaranteed two-way top 4 D and absolutely has top pairing upside.
I dont see it. Not great in transition and pushing the puck up the ice. Notable weakness from every scout thats watched him. Not a high compete level either. Solid Jr on a really good team, easy position to fill as a LD. I want a player that is going to be an impact player.

I think he is a middle pair defender reliable like a Hanifin. Not a bad player but I am hoping for something more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad