NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There is no realistic scenario where we trade away a top 2 pick. Especially not for quantity.

I am not sure I can recall the last time a top 2 pick was traded. It just doesn't happen because teams don't want to make available the kind of player it would take to convince another team to trade 1st or 2nd.

It's more realistic that we trade our pick if we lose the lottery and end up in that 6-10 wheelhouse. Even then, I highly doubt we'd do it unless it's a situation like when the Islanders traded a high pick for Romanov, who was basically a top 10 talent that was still very young.
Rick Nash, Jay Boumeester and Pitkanen in 02’ I believe for top 5 picks.

Florida traded 1 to Columbus for 3 and future considerations (option to trade 1st round picks the next year, they never got anything as they sat 3rd and took Horton while Columbus sat 4th and took Zheredev)

Tampa traded 4 to the Flyers for Fedeteko, 34 and 52.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We should target as many RHD as possible even if only to have trade money as they are so coveted right now and in the years to come

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
The only prob i see with most of the RD in the top 10 are that they are smaller puck movers.
...but what we need is big 2way gorillaz.

Imo if we're taking a RD id rather Yakemchuk if Levahunyon isnt avail. Hard to teach big

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The only prob i see with most of the RD in the top 10 are that they are smaller puck movers.

Imo if we're taking a RD id rather Yakemchuk if Levahunyon isnt avail. Hard to teach big
Draft and develop high end offensive D men using high 1st round picks. Big physical steady guys you get with later picks, trades or UFA.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

If BIG is what you want, the other Russian D Silayev might be a good choice (6'7") but he is an LD.

I suspect that any player we get will be 1 to 2 years away from joining the Senators in the NHL, so we will likely need to get an RD via UFA signing or trade if we want immediate help there.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Hunh? Both of those players are big guys. Parehk is the only one that isnt bigger than average.

Draft and develop high end offensive D men using high 1st round picks. Big physical steady guys you get with later picks, trades or UFA.
Those players arent readily available either. Specifically righties.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hunh? Both of those players are big guys. Parehk is the only one that isnt bigger than average.

You overpay unless you get lucky with a later pick. The deal with the steady D is they take a while to develop so you get them for only a couple years before UFA.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone

.....and that's why id want yakemchuk//levashunovs...they big. The other rd are not big 🤷‍♂️

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I honestly wouldn't be opposed to taking Tij Ignila if we pick 7/8. Kid has all the right tools, and he's getting better as he goes along.
7/8 is too early for him IMO. Hopefully the Boston pick won't fall too far down the first round, and that's what I want to pick Iginla with.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
7/8 is too early for him IMO. Hopefully the Boston pick won't fall too far down the first round, and that's what I want to pick Iginla with.
Boston pick looks to be 26 at the absolute best for us, and that’s if they drop 3 spots by the end of the season.

Can never say never, but the chances of Iginla being available past 10 is getting smaller and smaller by the day.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

This years UFA seems to be the exception. Maybe we should load up lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good weekend for draft prospect watching. Got to see Buium (won NCHC) , Levshunov (won Big 10), Parekh and Dickinson at least 2 periods each. All of them move forward into their playoffs. NCAA tournament should get their matchups tonight with a couple teams having to be switched around. London has to gain a point or Saginaw wins the conference via tie breaker Knights are up 2-0 after 2 today vs Guelph

Yakemchuk's Calgary Hitmen did not make the WHL playoffs. He's also too old for the 2024 U18s.. Looks like his season is over; he had a strong finish.

Generally I would prioritize D in the top 10; Pick the best available ; If we pick a lefty there are some decent RDs that should be available with the Bruins pick. LDs are kind of thin down there in that comparative range. The early 2nd there should be a pretty good forward available. The talent thins out for Sens Picks after that.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Levshunov RD is the highest ranked defenceman in this draft & Yakemchuk RD is ranked just outside the top 10 on most sites & would both be excellent 1st rd picks & top pairing RD. They are high end offensive D men who just happen to also be big. If they want they can also get a big physical D with their 2nd rd pick where there could be a few available. Their #1 priority in this draft should be a top pairing RD & both Levshunov & Yakemchuk should both end up as such.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Levshunov RD is the highest ranked defenceman in this draft & Yakemchuk RD is ranked just outside the top 10 on most sites & would both be excellent 1st rd picks & top pairing RD. They are high end offensive D men who just happen to also be big. If they want they can also get a big physical D with their 2nd rd pick where there could be a few available. Their #1 priority in this draft should be a top pairing RD & both Levshunov & Yakemchuk should both end up as such.
You don’t have to be small to be an offensive player.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Feels life if we're gonna go for need I say we go Demidov. This team clearly lacks offensive firepower and creativity even though that is what is supposed to be our strength.

With Norris MIA and Giroux getting on in age and Pinto and Greig being more two way types, the need for an offensive dynamo is even more pressing.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Feels life if we're gonna go for need I say we go Demidov. This team clearly lacks offensive firepower and creativity even though that is what is supposed to be our strength.

With Norris MIA and Giroux getting on in age and Pinto and Greig being more two way types, the need for an offensive dynamo is even more pressing.

I kinda agree here. Timmy only has 18 goals and only 1 PP goal this week, Joseph in the top 6 can’t continue. Giroux is about to retire.

Adding a Panarin type player would solve a lot of the offensive troubles of this team

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We're 14th in the league in goals per game despite a PP that has underwhelmed. We could probably use a pp coach, but the team has plenty of firepower. When Giroux leaves or ages out, we'll have an extra 6 mil in the budget to address the loss, I do worry about Norris' future though.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We're 14th in the league in goals per game despite a PP that has underwhelmed. We could probably use a pp coach, but the team has plenty of firepower. When Giroux leaves or ages out, we'll have an extra 6 mil in the budget to address the loss, I do worry about Norris' future though.

Being top 5 in NHL offense also makes us better as well.

I think the draft depends on need TBH - if they sign Demelo and Pesces or make a trade for a legit top pairing RD on long term I could see them taking a F who would join the group faster and have more of an immediate impact

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Need has to be taken completely out of the equation at the top of the draft.

Don't want to end up with Hayton's, KK's or Juolevi's rather than Dobson's, Tkachuk's or Hughes' because your team has a current need.

Take who the staff see's having the largest impact in the league regardless of position. If that happens to be at a position they have a need for, even better. If they have an abundance of that already, deal with that in time.

Be that offensive F or D, Defensive F or D, W or C. Rank the top of your draft board by total impact in the league.

If you have guys that are valued the same, then use need to choose one or the other.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Being top 5 in NHL offense also makes us better as well.

I think the draft depends on need TBH - if they sign Demelo and Pesces or make a trade for a legit top pairing RD on long term I could see them taking a F who would join the group faster and have more of an immediate impact
You don't draft for need, a draft pick, even a high one, can take two or three years before they join the team and another year or two before really being an impact guy, by that time your needs can be completely different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad