2024 MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
In the post fight presser, Dana was naturally asked about UFC 300 main event. I don't think he said Pereira or Hill's name and then went on to praise Leon. Strange.

Hmmm. Chimaev and Shavkat I think are givens. Thought Belal would have been one, too.

Chimaev probably can't get into the country.
No idea what the issue with Shavkat would be.
No idea who the 3rd could be.

I'd guess the 3rd would be Islam.

Reactions: Taytro

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I laughed. But I really don't think it's bad. The fight itself should be really exciting and the card is amazing. Just didn't live up to the expectations Dana and the UFC created.

I fully believe the speculation they're putting him on ice because of his contract status. They did the same to Nate to prevent him from becoming a FA as long as possible.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Pereira is a legitimate star, he’s a champion across multiple sports and multiple weight classes. That’s big enough for me. Don’t really understand people being underwhelmed. This is probably the best fight they could have realistically booked.

I think it was because all of the selling Dana was doing making it seem like it would be a holy shit type fight. If this was announced from the beginning without any big build up/teasing people may still be a bit disappointed, but not as much

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Pereira is a legitimate star, he’s a champion across multiple sports and multiple weight classes. That’s big enough for me. Don’t really understand people being underwhelmed. This is probably the best fight they could have realistically booked.
Exactly, I'm curious what else could people be expecting. 205 was historically the UFCs premier division, it's taken a hit lately due to people giving up the belt. Pereira beat the first guy who never lost the belt in a fight, now he has the chance to beat the second guy who forfeited the belt.

Everyone would be disappointed if it was Leon headlining the card, or any of the women, O'Malley is booked, Dricus just fought, heavyweight has the championship mixup... I genuinely don't see a more exciting fight that could headline the card.

More importantly, it should be an absolutely fantastic fight that likely ends in a knockout. Two big, rangey strikers who have significant power, neither of whom are scared to engage. What's not to like? Did you think it would be Chael Sonnen vs King Kong or something? The bad guy would obviously accept it and win, but that's just not realistic.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's not Lesnar-Mir or Jones-DC.

And it doesn't meet the hype that they built up. If you've been around long enough, though, I think you should know to temper expectations when the UFC and Dana talk like that. I remember when they were teasing the new belt and everybody was going crazy talking about a LW tournament or even a tournament to open the 165lb division. Literally nobody cared it was a new belt.

Greatness doesn't mean he's a star. Ask DJ.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
It's not Lesnar-Mir or Jones-DC.

And it doesn't meet the hype that they built up. If you've been around long enough, though, I think you should know to temper expectations when the UFC and Dana talk like that. I remember when they were teasing the new belt and everybody was going crazy talking about a LW tournament or even a tournament to open the 165lb division. Literally nobody cared it was a new belt.

Greatness doesn't mean he's a star. Ask DJ.
There's no Lesnar or Jones available to fight in the UFC right now so what were the expectations? Connor isn't what he used to be, hasn't won a fight in 4 years and isn't actively fighting, other than that there's no real star. Some are being built up but for everyone who was available, this is a really good fight to headline the card, which is a really good card.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There's no Lesnar or Jones available to fight in the UFC right now so what were the expectations? Connor isn't what he used to be, hasn't won a fight in 4 years and isn't actively fighting, other than that there's no real star. Some are being built up but for everyone who was available, this is a really good fight to headline the card, which is a really good card.
I'm not complaining about it, but Dana said time after time after time that it was going to blow us away. This is a routine championship fight. A good one, but far from blowing me away.

To blow me away:

Conor
Bringing Nate back in some fashion
Pereira-Izzy 3
DDP-Izzy
Jones-Aspinall
Leon-Islam
Islam-Gaethje (before they made Gaethje-Max)
Chimaev-DDP
Chimaev-Leon
Zuckerberg-Elon (j/k)

I dunno. You can go through and explain why each one of these isn't happening, but I'm not the one who hyped it up for months. That's on Dana and the UFC for overpromising and underdelivering.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So is Belal just out? Was he only not an option for UFC 300 but will be on another card? Was he one of the three opponents Dana mentioned? I'm so confused.

I figured that was a match up that was set and it was only a matter of finding a date. Belal says he's ready and Dana was non-committal about Leon's next fight.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Hill is a clown and I'm picking and rooting for Pereira, but Hill has a legit change at winning if he's recovered from his injury.

So is Belal just out? Was he only not an option for UFC 300 but will be on another card? Was he one of the three opponents Dana mentioned? I'm so confused.

I figured that was a match up that was set and it was only a matter of finding a date. Belal says he's ready and Dana was non-committal about Leon's next fight.
At this rate Belal is going to get shafted until he's like 41 and on the back 9, then they'll throw him a bone and let him be the short notice replacement for whoever the champ is.

Reactions: CDJ and Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
All 3 are Muslim and probably didn't want to be in camp during Ramadan....plus Chimaev probably not being allowed in the country.

I understand not wanting Belal to headline UFC 300, but now that it's not happening, hopefully he gets his shot.

Reactions: 16Skippy and Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
At this rate Belal is going to get shafted until he's like 41 and on the back 9, then they'll throw him a bone and let him be the short notice replacement for whoever the champ is.
All 3 are Muslim and probably didn't want to be in camp during Ramadan....plus Chimaev probably not being allowed in the country.

I understand not wanting Belal to headline UFC 300, but now that it's not happening, hopefully he gets his shot.

I'd be lying if I said I'd be overly excited for a Leon/Belal fight but that's what they should do. For Leon's sake hopefully with another really good fight so they can sell PPVs.

Shavkat will probably be champ by the end of the year. Whether it's in his next fight or maybe after another win.

Khamzat has no business being in the title talk for 170 when he can't even make the weight or get into North America.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Belal says he doesn’t care about doing camp during Ramadan

When they had him on the screen he got big boos, I thought that was funny/interesting. He’s getting an actual reaction from the crowd, people kinda care whether or not he gets the title

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'd be lying if I said I'd be overly excited for a Leon/Belal fight but that's what they should do. For Leon's sake hopefully with another really good fight so they can sell PPVs.

Shavkat will probably be champ by the end of the year. Whether it's in his next fight or maybe after another win.

Khamzat has no business being in the title talk for 170 when he can't even make the weight or get into North America.
Shavkat-Usman would be awesome. Not sure if Usman has interest in staying around 170 for a killer like Shavkat without a guaranteed title shot if he wins.

Agreed about Belal getting a shot and Chimaev not getting a shot at 170 (or 185 really, but I could live with that one).

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Is that enough to make the ticket prices worth it for you?
It's the timing that's killing me... about a 2h40m drive 10pm event the night before Easter and I've got little kids so I'm going to get no sleep. It lost Menifield/Ulberg which I thought was one of the better fights as well. If it's dirt cheap on the secondary market I might jump on it for the hell of it but not looking likely. I'll probably wait til Newark.

Reactions: MMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad