2024 MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
So Masvidal posted 'unretired'. Coming back at 300?
He's 39, unranked, hasn't won a round, much less a fight, in over 4 years. Not much excitement to be drummed up. They better put him against some aging unranked striker if they want him to actually entertain anyone. Chances are if he comes back it'll be some BMF part 2 BS at 170lbs.

Won't happens but I'd love to see something like Ian Garry vs Masvidal. Use him to put a younger guy over while crossing my fingers that Masvidal gets knocked out.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
From the other thread....

I actually think what the UFC is doing with Nina is smart and good for everybody involved. It's silly nonsense, but it doesn't cost the UFC or the fighters anything and gives them a platform to show their personality with a girl who's personable and kinda hot. People say they just watch for the fights, but storylines are important and characters are important to storylines. This helps build the characters (whether it's an act or the fighter's actual personality) more than dry ass interviews with "Tell us what you would be doing if you weren't fighting" type of questions.

It's not journalism, but it's not trying to be. If it was, then the UFC probably wouldn't be promoting it on their social media because most MMA journalism is based on rumors, fighter pay, or other stories on the shady side of the business.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Conor-Chandler at 185 is nonsense. Didn't Conor say the same thing about Poirier? I know he at least said 170, but I feel like this isn't the first time he said he'd fight at 185. Doesn't make any sense and if they do, Conor's even more checked out of the fight game than I thought.

The only way I could see Masvidal back in the UFC is for Conor or Nate. I fee like we would have heard Conor floated by now and I don't know how much interest there really is in Masvidal-Nate 2. I'd guess he got a celebrity boxing match.

I'm glad they seem to be going with Leon-Belal, but it better be like the 3rd fight if it's on UFC 300 or 300 is going to be really underwhelming.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

UFC must not like Beneil lol

...not sure why my media link isn't working so -

1704315554136.png

• Wow
Reactions: 16Skippy

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Khamzat posted an alarming photo and appears to have serious health issues. Have to question what this man has put in his body, but his willingness to share it publicly is something.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Khamzat posted an alarming photo and appears to have serious health issues. Have to question what this man has put in his body, but his willingness to share it publicly is something.
apparently from some time before the Usman fight…looked like a gross allergic reaction or something

Reactions: bov

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island

UFC must not like Beneil lol

...not sure why my media link isn't working so -

View attachment 795235

I could be wrong but that is fake... that Twitter account has 0 followers and it's Mike Bohn who works for MMA Junkie.

He's gotten pretty sick before he was supposed to fight I think Edwards like 4 times but kept dropping out due to post covid complications I think he even said he retired at one point.

Reactions: Taytro

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The only way I could see Masvidal back in the UFC is for Conor or Nate. I fee like we would have heard Conor floated by now and I don't know how much interest there really is in Masvidal-Nate 2. I'd guess he got a celebrity boxing match.
I saw that Chael mentioned Masvidal-Gaethje at 170 for the BMF belt at UFC 300. I could see that happening, too, so I would amend my previous statement to add Gaethje. It's probably the most realistic, too.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I saw that Chael mentioned Masvidal-Gaethje at 170 for the BMF belt at UFC 300. I could see that happening, too, so I would amend my previous statement to add Gaethje. It's probably the most realistic, too.
Such a lose-lose situation for Gaethje. He should be fighting for a belt at 155. Masvidal doesn't get him closer to that, doesn't build his brand, doesn't build his legacy. He's expected to beat a 39 year old Masvidal, so if he does no one in impressed. If he somehow manages to lose it, his potential title shot at 155 disappears. They better pay him handsomely for an all risk, no reward fight like that.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Such a lose-lose situation for Gaethje. He should be fighting for a belt at 155. Masvidal doesn't get him closer to that, doesn't build his brand, doesn't build his legacy. He's expected to beat a 39 year old Masvidal, so if he does no one in impressed. If he somehow manages to lose it, his potential title shot at 155 disappears. They better pay him handsomely for an all risk, no reward fight like that.
If he should be fighting for the 155lb belt, then he doesn't need to get closer. He just needs for it to be his turn. If his turn is not next, though, he's probably not going to get a shot until at least Q4 of this year with Islam unlikely to fight again before Ramadan.

I disagree it wouldn't do anything for him. Masvidal is still a big name, UFC 300 is a historic card, and the BMF thing.

It's a stay busy fight, but it's a stay busy fight that he should win and would likely see him get a big payday.

I'd still guess if Masvidal is "unretired", it's probably for a boxing fight, but if it is back in the UFC, I think something like Gaethje for the BMF belt at UFC 300 makes a lot of sense.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Gaethje seems like he's perpetually in the title picture. He's like the Colby of 155, albeit with better wins.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He f***s Colby up at 170- he should move up and fight him, I know he hates him

This version of Colby excites me, there are endless possibilities for him to lose

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
The hard thing for me with Gaethje is how badly outclassed he is in some pretty major areas of MMA. He's got a great chin, great kicks, good hands, great cardio, but Khabib and Oliveira make him look like an absolute novice the second they get into grappling exchanges. I understand Gaethje wants to stand and bang, but I just don't see any evolution in those areas, which is unfortunate. Because of that, him vs Islam isn't terribly compelling for me. It's the classic puncher's chance fight.

I am so tired of hearing about Conor. I saw a headline about how impressive it'd be for him to have TKOs in 4 weight classes. Umm, yeah, if you were fighting guys who were actually from that weight class. He has one win in seven years and it's against a washed up Cerrone. Just go away already.

Any rumors as to what will headline 300? The card will obviously be very solid, but I can't think of a compelling headliner. Super quick turnaround with Adesanya fighting the winner at 297? Aspinall-Pereira for the interim HW belt. I feel like this is their just in case headliner.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The hard thing for me with Gaethje is how badly outclassed he is in some pretty major areas of MMA. He's got a great chin, great kicks, good hands, great cardio, but Khabib and Oliveira make him look like an absolute novice the second they get into grappling exchanges. I understand Gaethje wants to stand and bang, but I just don't see any evolution in those areas, which is unfortunate. Because of that, him vs Islam isn't terribly compelling for me. It's the classic puncher's chance fight.

I am so tired of hearing about Conor. I saw a headline about how impressive it'd be for him to have TKOs in 4 weight classes. Umm, yeah, if you were fighting guys who were actually from that weight class. He has one win in seven years and it's against a washed up Cerrone. Just go away already.

Any rumors as to what will headline 300? The card will obviously be very solid, but I can't think of a compelling headliner. Super quick turnaround with Adesanya fighting the winner at 297? Aspinall-Pereira for the interim HW belt. I feel like this is their just in case headliner.
I'd like to see Gaethje get the next shot because it's a fresh matchup. I do think Islam probably runs through him, but Oliveira already got his shot and Islam did run through him. It is complicated, though, because Oliveira stopped Gaethje and I think there is reason to believe Islam-Oliveira would be better than the first one, but still.

I don't really care about people talking about Conor. My biggest problem with Conor is how long this took. Chandler has fought 5 times in the UFC and they have all been fun fights. He fought 3 times in 2021, 2 in 2022, and 0 in 2023 because he was waiting around for Conor. So instead of seeing a fun fighter fight, we saw nothing from him. I can't fault him for it, but I'd much rather have seen Chandler-Arman or something in 2023 than waiting all this time to see Chandler-Conor.

For UFC 300, I think they are hoping DDP beats Strickland so they can do DDP-Izzy. That's the only champ that kind of makes sense to me.

Pantoja wouldn't headline over Leon.
O'Malley and Volk are booked.
Islam's probably not going to be in camp during Ramadan
Maaaaybe Pereira-Hill? Not sure when Hill is expected back.
Jones is probably still out. I don't think they'd have an interim fight over the actual WW title fight (unless it was a massive star which Aspinall isn't).
I think Weili and/or Grasso might get added to pad the card, but they wouldn't headline.

Both Luke and BC predicted Gaethje-Max for the BMF belt, but I don't think that would headline over an actual title fight either.

So unless they got like Rousey-Holm 2 or Rousey-Tate 3 or some other "break glass in case of emergency", I think it's DDP-Izzy (*pending DDP beating Strickland) or Leon-Belal.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Here's an idea for UFC 300, bump O'Malley-Chito to 300 and replace them with Islam-Gaethje/Oliveira at UFC 299. It would be short notice at this point, but UFC 299 is on March 9. Ramadan begins on March 10.

I don't know if O'Malley-Chito would headline over Leon-Belal, but it would help stack the card a bit and draw in some other casuals.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Here's an idea for UFC 300, bump O'Malley-Chito to 300 and replace them with Islam-Gaethje/Oliveira at UFC 299. It would be short notice at this point, but UFC 299 is on March 9. Ramadan begins on March 10.

I don't know if O'Malley-Chito would headline over Leon-Belal, but it would help stack the card a bit and draw in some other casuals.

This exact scenario was brought up on a podcast from earlier this week and it makes sense to me, albeit I find it a bit underwhelming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad