2024 Matthews vs 2008 Ovi: Who's better player?

Who's better player:

• Current Auston Matthews

Votes: 48 18.6%
  • 2008 Ovi

Votes: 210 81.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Auston Matthews just tied Ovi's 65 goals in a single season record... and most likely will eclipse it.

But who is/was a better player? Current Matthews

or 2008 Ovi?

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
My snap reaction is OV but if i am being honest i have not seen enough matthews this year to really say. When i have seen him he hasnt scored.

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
League scoring is 13% higher this season than in 2007-2008.

That's without bringing up the fact that Ovechkin was a much more physical force than Matthews.

I think people forget how feral players were still in 2007-2008 compared to now. Cheapshot artists were rampant, physical play was still prioritized. It was a very physical league.

Matthews would have been raptured after collisions like that.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ovechkin was just a more dominant player. His overall production was better relative to the league, and while he had more PP time, he also had less support. Matthews is better defensively, but Ovechkin tilted the ice more and I think puck-dominant players are simply more conducive to winning (it’s a reason why I wasn’t as big on post-peak Ovechkin). I mean, Ovechkin’s year was held up as the best post-lockout season by the vast majority of people up until McDavid’s year last year, and now the 4th best forward this year is better? That doesn’t pass the smell test.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
As far as goal scoring goes it's very close. Ovechkin was the better all around offensive player. Matthews 2 way game brings it close, but Ovechkin was simply the biggest game breaker in the league at the time. There was no system to stop him, he broke systems. He could shoot through your legs, blow past you with speed, lower his shoulder and power by you, or make you look silly with his 1 on 1 puck skills. He made 1 on 2 and 2 on 3 situations feel just as dangerous as a breakaway.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Matthews is a center and significantly better defensive player while matching Ovi's point and goal production without nearly as much powerplay time. Ovi is an all time great goal scoring winger but he isn't a better overall player than peak Matthews.
Matthews isn’t sniffing scoring titles. Ovechkin was at one point the best offensive player in the league sweeping all the major awards at once. Matthews might not even get one besides the Rocket.

It’s Ovechkin.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Matthews is a center and significantly better defensive player while matching Ovi's point and goal production without nearly as much powerplay time. Ovi is an all time great goal scoring winger but he isn't a better overall player than peak Matthews.
This better overall player doesn’t impact winning like Ovi, is worse in the playoffs, literally CANT compete for Rosses, and is regularly outside the top 3 in Hart consideration. But yeah, he’s better overall lmao. He’s a centre who gets less assists than a goal first winger.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Matthews 2 way game makes it not a blow out. But i remember ovechkin from those days. Just a freight that had unreal speed and was on another level offensively. Gotta take OV.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
their numbers are really close. hard not to be biased but generally I find C as the harder position with alot more responsibility but Ovechkin went off that year. also ALOT less skill in the league overall back then I mean Ovechkin's 112 points is still 24 points behind the current leader this season.

but to all of you who think Matthews isn't even close. how many more goals does Matthews need to trump Ovechkin's 08 season?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
AM is a goal scorer. Prime Ovi dominated the game like McDavid. A Russian winger had more assists than an NA Centre in a lower scoring era.

Not close. AM is not even in the top 3 best players this year.

How is the guy with 65 goals not in the top 3 players this year?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
their numbers are really close. hard not to be biased but generally I find C as the harder position with alot more responsibility but Ovechkin went off that year. also ALOT less skill in the league overall back then I mean Ovechkin's 112 points is still 24 points behind the current leader this season.

but to all of you who think Matthews isn't even close. how many more goals does Matthews need to trump Ovechkin's 08 season?

They won't answer that question, even if he scored 93 It wouldn't matter.

The reality is he needs 1 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad