Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
These are the picks for the draft

The Kings have #21

View attachment 866010

Our 2nd was given away as part of the get rid of Cal trade (also to get the cap space to trade for PLDufus)
Our 3rd was traded away as part of the Gavrikov and Korpisalo trade
Our 5th was traded away along with Bitey Lemiuex for MacEwen
AND we gave up another probable late 1st by keeping roy!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Matvei Shuravin is another guy I want to read more about but his ranking seems to be all over the place right now.
I'll see if I have footage of him, as I did capture some MHL games. I'm trying to limit the scope of my articles to players where I actually have the footage - because while I know other people make their own, I just can't confirm whether or not any edits have been made or if there were errors in cuts.

But as an aside, with how Russian players have panned out for LA, I probably won't write an article about him. I'm sorry. I just feel there are other players who are more likely to be drafted by the Kings and barring Hoven making minor edits or clarifying things, I am solo on these pieces and need to be strategic with my focus on articles. I hope you understand.

Incoming shower thought; you’ve been warned…

What are the chances that we could package our first and Kaliyev to get a higher 1st round pick? And if possible, how high could the Kings climb up the chart with that package?
WIth how they've handled Kaliyev, I'm all but sure he's gone. Wouldn't mind if the Kings packaged him with the first to try and move up. But I'd also be okay with an outright trade to get more picks.

Unfortunately the Kings need both quality and quantity, with some of the trades theu've made. And since they aren't rebuilding anytime soon, I'm just hoping they don't trade more futures away.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I'll see if I have footage of him, as I did capture some MHL games. I'm trying to limit the scope of my articles to players where I actually have the footage - because while I know other people make their own, I just can't confirm whether or not any edits have been made or if there were errors in cuts.

But as an aside, with how Russian players have panned out for LA, I probably won't write an article about him. I'm sorry. I just feel there are other players who are more likely to be drafted by the Kings and barring Hoven making minor edits or clarifying things, I am solo on these pieces and need to be strategic with my focus on articles. I hope you understand.
Oh yeah I didn't necessarily mean that I'd like you to write up stuff about him. I meant more generally I'd like to read about the guy. What I've read so far sounds very intriguing, but it's so slim and mostly from folks who are just freelance scouting so I don't know really how good or bad they are. That said, information is always good so I'll take what I can get. :)

Don't want you to waste your time on random requests though. That's just opening the floodgates. You do you and I'll find what I find.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

What are the chances that we could package our first and Kaliyev to get a higher 1st round pick? And if possible, how high could the Kings climb up the chart with that package?

Kaliyev and a 1st for a 5'10" vanilla center who we will ultimately convert to wing before failing and waiving him for nothing

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Konsta Helenius step right up!
If we could use Kaliyev to move up with our 1st for Helenius I would be happy. Guess Aho is vanilla too. Helenius was ranked as high as #2 in the draft by McKenzie's Just newly released rankings. Also, while playing an IQ game no super bruiser yet not afraid to play a physical game either. Adding Helenius would be a big addition for us.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Very early likes for me around the Kings range are Sasha Boisvert, Trevor Connelly and Cole Huston. Also a smidge of hope Eiserman falls to us, but I need to actually dive into info now.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Should be good talent available at 21. There was a delay in some draft preview articles going up but hopefully they'll start going out soon.

Also recorded several U18 games to go along with the others I recorded over the year, so I'm hoping to make plenty more videos, too.

Upcoming articles:
EJ Emery
Terick Parascak
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
Which ones are the 2-way centers with a good work rate and rounded tool set? No point looking at anyone else :naughty:

20 OA.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
If we could use Kaliyev to move up with our 1st for Helenius I would be happy. Guess Aho is vanilla too. Helenius was ranked as high as #2 in the draft by McKenzie's Just newly released rankings. Also, while playing an IQ game no super bruiser yet not afraid to play a physical game either. Adding Helenius would be a big addition for us.
Yeah well, if this doesn't sound exactly like Turcotte on draft day, I don't know what would:

He’s determined and relentless, skates well, and uses his edges and quick changes effectively. He understands the defensive side of the game, knows how to pick off teammates who have the best chance at scoring with a strong pass, and has a quick, deceptive release. The only knock against him is that, of all these skills, none of them stand out above his competition. But when it comes to adding an impact player, no one impacts more areas than Helenius, and he’s not far from being ready for the NHL.

I'm not saying he's nothing or a bust or worthless. I have no idea. I'm saying that sounds exactly like the description of guys the Kings have been drafting for the past decade.

Reactions: Lt Dan

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
What about taking the 21st and trading down a few spots for the pick that OTT or CGY will get and pick up a 2nd from them? Use that 2nd to pick up Nabakov and get (what could potentially be) your goalie in 2 years.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Yeah well, if this doesn't sound exactly like Turcotte on draft day, I don't know what would:

I'm not saying he's nothing or a bust or worthless. I have no idea. I'm saying that sounds exactly like the description of guys the Kings have been drafting for the past decade.
Have you watched a single game of Helenius? Turcotte and him are quite unsimilar as prospects their respective draft year.

Personally, have a top 16/17 then a group of ~5 who are my realistic hopes for LA barring no one drops from that top 16/17 group. Realistic hopes are: Hage, Greentree, Surin, Chernyshykov and Hutson. My semi realistic ideal scenario is Connelly or Nygard. If we can get one of those, especially Connelly we are looking amazing. Kid has seriously done a lot to try and improve his image, learn, and had one hell of a hit job done to him. Top 10 talent easily and we need to be drafting on upside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Have you watched a single game of Helenius? Turcotte and him are quite unsimilar as prospects their respective draft year.
I've watched the same amount of games of his as I had of Turcotte. Zero. I read about prospects because I don't have time in my day to watch what 17-year old kids are doing on the other side of the world or even on this side. That said, this is what the same folks said about Turcotte:

Turcotte is the definition of a complete player. Offensively, he is a fast skater and a great passer. His passing skills pair very nicely with his elite hockey IQ. He is also great positionally and plays the physical game to the best of his ability. Leadership skills and maturity are also aspects of his that can slide under the radar.

As far as weaknesses go, there aren’t many; the 200-foot game that Turcotte plays makes him a jack of all trades player. That said, he could gain a bit of weight, as he comes in at 185 pounds. That’s not terribly light, but adding some strength would only make his physical game stronger.

Maybe it's just me, but that sounds very similar.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
History of the 21st Overall Pick:

2000 – Anton Volchenkov (D, Ottawa Senators)
2001 – Colby Armstrong (RW, Pittsburgh Penguins)
2002 – Anton Babchuk (D, Chicago Blackhawks)
2003 – Mark Stuart (D, Boston Bruins)
2004 – Wojtek Wolski (LW, Colorado Avalanche)
2005 – Tuukka Rask (G, Toronto Maple Leafs)
2006 – Bobby Sanguinetti (D, New York Rangers)
2007 – Riley Nash (C, Edmonton Oilers)
2008 – Anton Gustafsson (C, Washington Capitals)
2009 – John Moore (D, Columbus Blue Jackets)
2010 – Riley Sheahan (C, Detroit Red Wings)
2011 – Stefan Noesen (RW, Ottawa Senators)
2012 – Mark Jankowski (C, Calgary Flames)
2013 – Frédérik Gauthier (C, Toronto Maple Leafs)
2014 – Robby Fabbri (C, St. Louis Blues)
2015 – Colin White (C, Ottawa Senators)
2016 – Julien Gauthier (RW, Carolina Hurricanes)
2017 – Filip Chytil (C, New York Rangers)
2018 – Ryan Merkley (D, San Jose Sharks)
2019 – Samuel Poulin (RW, Pittsburgh Penguins)
2020 – Yegor Chinakhov (RW, Columbus Blue Jackets)
2021 - Fabian Lysell (RW, Boston Bruins)
2022 - Owen Pickering (D, Pittsburgh Penguins)
2023 - Charlie Stramel (C, Minnesota Wild)

That gives you some perspective.
more shit then shine. trade up or trade it for immediate help. Any goalies targeted to fall in that area?

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Will Celebrini be better or worse than Dubois AND Doughty AND three 1st round picks (2024, 2026, & 2028)???

Thanks!!!

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
after listening to the press conference yesterday there is no way we keep that pick , Blake,who i didn't think i could hate any more but i was wrong, thinks we are contenders and he will move it arty and a prospect to boston for ulmark who will probably turn into checkmanac 2.0.............that presser showed blake is lost and Luc looks like he got into MR pill box very sad day

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Will Celebrini be better or worse than Dubois AND Doughty AND three 1st round picks (2024, 2026, & 2028)???

Thanks!!!

Byfield – Celebrini – Kempe
Moore – Danault – Arvidsson
Fiala – Kopitar – Fagemo
Grundstrom – Lizotte – Laferriere

Turcotte?

Anderson – Clarke
Gavrikov – Roy
Englund – Spence

Rittich ???
Talbot ???

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I legitimately don’t give a f*** who they draft. They’ll probably trade the pick, and they don't know how to develop the players they draft, anyway.

Just waiting out the line at the gallows at this point.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Don't like the Sharks, but it is kind of nice that the pick actually goes to the team that sucks the most and had the highest odds.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I'd be absolutely shocked if the Kings pick in the first round. Blake (and possibly Luc) are on the hot seat and the team must show legitimate postseason progression. A kid who won't be allowed to play in L.A. (even if ready) for 4-5 years does nothing to help them keep their jobs, and that's going to be their top priority this offseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad