Prospect Info: 2024 Entry Draft Thread - Let's Talk About Picks, Bay-bee

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's now 2024, and while we could have started this sooner, the Kings aren't currently tanking. They were also doingvwell enough earlier that a later round pick was a possibility.

So, the timing of this thread is appropriate with the current state of the Kings: middle of the road.

These are the picks they currently have as of this posting:
1st: 1 (LAK)
2nd: none
3rd: none
4th: 1 (LAK)
5th: none
6th: 1 (LAK)
7th: 1 (LAK)

Who do you like? What should the Kings do? And why will Rob Blake ignore us?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I can't imagine a world in which the Kings keep the 1st at this deadline. Start looking at the 4th and later rounds haha.

Maybe we can pick up some additional 7ths, we're money there

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I can't imagine a world in which the Kings keep the 1st at this deadline. Start looking at the 4th and later rounds haha.

I'm actually starting on an article now, and as annoyed as I am at the organization, I am outlining very briefly why I think the first is safe, and why I'm still focusing on that.

Though to be honest, another reason why I focus on earlier rounds is it's a much smaller pool. I don't want to try to guess who would be available in the fourth round to begin my focus.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I still go back to '15 and '16 and just cannot believe we traded those two first rounders for rentals. Especially 2015 when it was loaded with talent. Then again, we would have picked one of the two busts that Boston chose. Come full circle 2023 with a pretty good draft and we gave it up for PLD. :cry:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Just as a head's up, going to try to make a shift-by-shift video on the first one I'm going to write about, Zeev Buium.

There's one out there from when he played at the WJC, but half of the audio is replaced with ads of some random products. So, I'm hoping to use something more appropriate.

All honesty, I expect him to be gone before the Kings pick, but you never know how far the freefall will go!

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

They could be far out of the playoff race by March approaching the trade deadline. Would ownership have stepped in and at least prevent buying in that case? I think so. The faster the team sinks, the safer the pick is.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I still go back to '15 and '16 and just cannot believe we traded those two first rounders for rentals. Especially 2015 when it was loaded with talent. Then again, we would have picked one of the two busts that Boston chose. Come full circle 2023 with a pretty good draft and we gave it up for PLD. :cry:
I was away from hockey during those years, but looking at those 2 drafts, and looking at the 2 picks that would've been the Kings' picks, Zboril and Gauthier seemed like Kings picks :laugh:. They wouldv'e swung and missed anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: ru4reals

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
They could be far out of the playoff race by March approaching the trade deadline. Would ownership have stepped in and at least prevent buying in that case? I think so. The faster the team sinks, the safer the pick is.
If out, they definitely need to move Roy and RV for as much as they can get. With next year's cap issues and the players that need to be retained/brought up, I can't see either staying unfortunately. I think Roy can get a late first and RV a second at least. Better than losing them for nothing. Clarke will be full time next year if not by the deadline.

Fagemo, Thomas, Turcotte (They call me Mr. Glass), and Helenius could all nab a spot too. Who knows about the Euros inching closer as well. Not sure what the plan is for Lizotte....think someone mentioned he is an RFA tho. Grunstrom too.

Byfield Kopi (hit em with your cane) Kempe
Moore Danault Fagemo/Kaliyev
Fiala Dubois Laf

Lizotte and Grunstrom provide some jam and hustle but both could be replaced by cheaper options honestly.

Interesting few months on the way.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If the Kings did go into selling mode, you've gotta wonder what kind of value Talbot has right now. Could be decent (for a goalie)

Talbot, Roy, Arvidsson and possibly Lewis are your pending UFA's that would garner interest.

Arvidsson could be a great pickup for a playoff team. Would be cheap (unfortunately for us) and was good in the playoffs last year. He'll be playing for his next contract.

Reactions: LAKings88

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
i can't see Blake waving the white flag and selling. No way he can sell that path to ownership. Like others, i think if anything Blake is going to mortgage even more assets -- in a last ditch effort to turn things around and get a playoff spot.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I remember when Blake took over a criticism of Lombardi was moving 1sts. Plan was we would not move the picks every years and keep a cupboard coming. Following an even worth path without the success to go with it.

Only positive is if we continue to suck and keep our first outside the top few even this far in 2-12 is fluid. We could also easily walk with a solid future top four D. Not a big fan of the forwards this draft.... For that matter I agree with Edwards who himself posted on HF it is the single worst draft he has scouted in 20 years.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Just as a head's up, going to try to make a shift-by-shift video on the first one I'm going to write about, Zeev Buium.

There's one out there from when he played at the WJC, but half of the audio is replaced with ads of some random products. So, I'm hoping to use something more appropriate.

All honesty, I expect him to be gone before the Kings pick, but you never know how far the freefall will go!
I think Zeev was a jr King back in the day

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think Zeev was a jr King back in the day
Part of the reason I chose him. He's also teammates with current Kings prospect Jared Wright.

And that may be a bit of a giveaway of my process. I try to find prospects with relationships/teammates of current/former Kings players. Since sometimes, the nuances of scouting involves the personality and character of the prospects.

Of course, I also look for players where I have additional sources of information to try to get a better picture, but avoid direct quotes from coaches, teammates, etc... because they're biased and don't say much, unless it's an unusual story.

Then I look at growth and different levels of competition as well, if applicable. Or unusual games/streaks.

I also try to gauge the realism of actually picking the player. Like, I don't see a point in writing about Celebrini. If the Kings win the lottery, sure, I'll start focusing there. I don't remember their names offhand, but I'm not going to write about the prospects who bullied their teammates.

I always try to find 3 bits of information and aim to get video of a player, avoiding highlights if applicable. Again, highlights only tell a part of the story, and I think the readers are smart and curious enough to want to see a full picture.

Anyway, that's the general process I follow when deciding on which players to write about. By and large, I like the output and I'm happy to know for the most part that the people here are satisfied with it.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. As you can see I'm in my writing mode 🤣

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Here are the videos I've made so far this season of draft eligible players. The first few are from the Hlinka Gretzky Championship back in August. Zeev Buium is from the WJC

ZEEV BUIUM

TREVOR CONNELLY

EMIL HEMMING

SAM DICKINSON

Fantastic job KP!!! After tonight's game and the rest of the season, we may be picking higher and higher. These are great.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Fantastic job KP!!! After tonight's game and the rest of the season, we may be picking higher and higher. These are great.
Thank you! I have quite a collection of archived games. I have at least one game recorded for:
- all CHL teams (WHL, OHL, QMJHL)
- all teams from the WJC and Hlinka Gretzky
- 19/21 teams from J20 Nationell (SHL juniors)
- 18/24 teams from U20 SM-Sarja (Liiga juniors)
- 7/17 teams from Czech Extraliga (Czechia juniors)
- 6/37 teams from MHL (Russia juniors)
- 2/21 from KHL

Not really prioritized NCAA as there aren't too many draft eligibles. Europe can be difficult for various reasons, but want to get more of the major pro - but am trying to get ones that have multiple prospects. It's a process, but it's been fun.

Though frankly, Zeev Buium's was a pain. Team USA had two left-handed D with similar appearing numbers: Buium (No 28) and Hudson (No 20). It was even worse when trying to do it with blue jerseys and red font.

I'll try to take requests if you (or anyone) has them. I can't promise them all and may discriminate based on time (and I'm trying to pick some of my own). Obviously I won't be able to take everyone, and I apologize ahead of time.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Thank you! I have quite a collection of archived games. I have at least one game recorded for:
- all CHL teams (WHL, OHL, QMJHL)
- all teams from the WJC and Hlinka Gretzky
- 19/21 teams from J20 Nationell (SHL juniors)
- 18/24 teams from U20 SM-Sarja (Liiga juniors)
- 7/17 teams from Czech Extraliga (Czechia juniors)
- 6/37 teams from MHL (Russia juniors)
- 2/21 from KHL

Not really prioritized NCAA as there aren't too many draft eligibles. Europe can be difficult for various reasons, but want to get more of the major pro - but am trying to get ones that have multiple prospects. It's a process, but it's been fun.

Though frankly, Zeev Buium's was a pain. Team USA had two left-handed D with similar appearing numbers: Buium (No 28) and Hudson (No 20). It was even worse when trying to do it with blue jerseys and red font.

I'll try to take requests if you (or anyone) has them. I can't promise them all and may discriminate based on time (and I'm trying to pick some of my own). Obviously I won't be able to take everyone, and I apologize ahead of time.
Not a problem I'm just here for the ride. Great job evaluating and reporting. Will be interesting to see who the Kings will be targeting. This draft isn't as deep as last year's if I'm correct.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
When the score reached to 4-1 and seeing how the Kings don't match up with the Oilers physically, I started messing around with the draft simulator draftprospectshockey.com and came up with these selections:

1st rd: 21st - Dean Letourneau (C) 6'7 and 210 lbs. 56 Games played, with 61 goals in the U18AAA league. As you read he is a big guy.
4th rd: 118th - Niilopekka Muhonen (LD) 6'4 and 185 lbs. A big, physical, two way defensive prospect.
6th rd: 182nd - Gabe Smith (C) 6'4 and 205 lbs. A big, physical, grinder.

7th rd: 214th - Hunter Laing (C) 6'6 and 195 lbs. A big, grinding, power forward prospect.

The Kings, as many of us know, need their own version of a Matt Rempe of the Rangers, as it's been a few years since having a large dude's scary physical presence. A big guy, who is mean and gets mad, can check, and score the occassional goal. A guy who will happily bang. This is a big need, even if scouts, development and management don't agree. The 1st, 3rd and 4th picks could help here. The 2nd pick is a hard nosed, big Left D.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
When the score reached to 4-1 and seeing how the Kings don't match up with the Oilers physically, I started messing around with the draft simulator draftprospectshockey.com and came up with these selections:

1st rd: 21st - Dean Letourneau (C) 6'7 and 210 lbs. 56 Games played, with 61 goals in the U18AAA league. As you read he is a big guy.
4th rd: 118th - Niilopekka Muhonen (LD) 6'4 and 185 lbs. A big, physical, two way defensive prospect.
6th rd: 182nd - Gabe Smith (C) 6'4 and 205 lbs. A big, physical, grinder.

7th rd: 214th - Hunter Laing (C) 6'6 and 195 lbs. A big, grinding, power forward prospect.

The Kings, as many of us know, need their own version of a Matt Rempe of the Rangers, as it's been a few years since having a large dude's scary physical presence. A big guy, who is mean and gets mad, can check, and score the occassional goal. A guy who will happily bang. This is a big need, even if scouts, development and management don't agree. The 1st, 3rd and 4th picks could help here. The 2nd pick is a hard nosed, big Left D.
I don't know if I can handle another Brian Boyle but I'm gonna trust your judgement for you seem to have done your homework.

Reactions: apadilla

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Letourneau at #21 would be disappointing to say the least. Do not mind him yet at 21 there are decently better options. My realistic hope would be that Connelly drops to us. Otherwise a few guys there I would not mind: Hage, Surin, Sennecke, Greentree and Chernyshkov. Just no interest in another T. Bjornfot, J. Hughes, etc vanilla like pick. Try and get a better piece not a potential 3rd line/pairing guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: apadilla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad