2024 Draft Thread

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
IMO the difference between the leafs vs Sens/Sabres/Wings/Devils was goaltending.

Starting in 06/07 (post Belfour) it was Raycroft, Toskala, Reimer, Bernier. No playoffs (other than the shortened season). Then in Babcock year #2 (16/17) they acquired Frederik Andersen and never looked back.

For some odd reason these rebuilding teams are dumb enough to wait around for a drafted goalie to develop and/or sign/trade for goaltenders on the cheap.

difference is it's not easy, we acquired Raycroft/Toskala/Bernier thinking they were going to be good for us and they weren't. just like Ottawa acquired a two time stanley cup champ starting goalie in Murray who didn't work out. they then signed Korpisalo this summer who didn't work out.

NJ had a young Goalie in Blackwood who had 911 and 917 save percentages in his rookie and sophmore season's who never got better and therefore didn't worked out and then they went out and traded for Vanecek who had a couple decent season's in Washington as a young goalie who didn't work out.

Buffalo had Ullmark at one point who left via UFA not sure if that happened because he wouldn't sign or Buffalo wasn't willing to pay him. but they haven't really tried to acquire an NHL goalie since.

Detriot again signed Nedeljkovic coming off a 932 sv percentage, and traded for Husso coming off a 919 sv percentage, neither have worked out

to say these teams sat on there hands and waited for a good goalie to develop just isn't true. just the goalie's they've traded for or signed haven't worked out for variety of reason's. it also goes to show you how difficult it can be to fill the goalie role. in the case of Ottawa atleast some of these teams are so poor defensively I think they've made some of there goalie's look much worse then they are.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
C and D is what we need.

We have Knies, Grebenkin, Cowan, Robertson on the wing.
The time for drafting centers was the first few years of the Tavares deal. They could have been developing a young guy behind Matthews & Tavares.

Now you go for BPA. Any center drafted won't really match our window at this point.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
IMO the difference between the leafs vs Sens/Sabres/Wings/Devils was goaltending.

Starting in 06/07 (post Belfour) it was Raycroft, Toskala, Reimer, Bernier. No playoffs (other than the shortened season). Then in Babcock year #2 (16/17) they acquired Frederik Andersen and never looked back.

For some odd reason these rebuilding teams are dumb enough to wait around for a drafted goalie to develop and/or sign/trade for goaltenders on the cheap.

Very valid point although to be fair, I thought Buffalo was smart to grab Lehner at the time.

horner

May 22, 2007
The time for drafting centers was the first few years of the Tavares deal. They could have been developing a young guy behind Matthews & Tavares.

Now you go for BPA. Any center drafted won't really match our window at this point.
If that is what they do then you need to trade for a same aged dman or center .

Robertson for young dman or center

Treliving mentioned that after the draft that you need Dman Centerman

Dubas did neither.

Reactions: I am Canadian

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think you keep hammering away at C, D, G every draft and keep developing for different positions.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Craig Buttons is an absolute joke at evaluating prospects. This is why he’s been out of the league for TWENTY (20) years. And the only reason he got a job in the NHL was thanks to the nepotism of daddy.

Ranking Zayne Parekh ahead of Sam Dickinson is about as clueless as it gets. Honestly have to wonder if Buttons actually watches any junior games or just looks at the stat sheet for his asinine rankings.

Parekh is undersized, piss-poor defensively and completely lacking any hint of physicality. Dickinson is infinitely better than Parekh could ever dream of being.

Ranking Beckett Sennecke at #39 is laughable. Buttons is just embarrassing himself with that nonsense.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wouldn't mind taking a punt on somebody toolsy, we seem to do ok with the high IQ hockey sense types but I'd love to see what we could do with a big bodied kid who can really skate

Someone like that Broberg kid in Edmonton, I think we could really do something with a player like him or is that asking for trouble?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I wouldn't mind taking a punt on somebody toolsy, we seem to do ok with the high IQ hockey sense types but I'd love to see what we could do with a big bodied kid who can really skate

Someone like that Broberg kid in Edmonton, I think we could really do something with a player like him or is that asking for trouble?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I like him as well. Had he played on a better team and had more PP time, he'd likely be ranked more broadly in the 20s, maybe even higher.
I like his entire skillset, but his escapability is especially impressive for a defenseman. He might have to tone it down a bit and pick and choose his risks, but his ability to avoid checks and sticks and make defenders miss is really top tier.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Craig Buttons is an absolute joke at evaluating prospects. This is why he’s been out of the league for TWENTY (20) years. And the only reason he got a job in the NHL was thanks to the nepotism of daddy.

Ranking Zayne Parekh ahead of Sam Dickinson is about as clueless as it gets. Honestly have to wonder if Buttons actually watches any junior games or just looks at the stat sheet for his asinine rankings.

Parekh is undersized, piss-poor defensively and completely lacking any hint of physicality. Dickinson is infinitely better than Parekh could ever dream of being.

Ranking Beckett Sennecke at #39 is laughable. Buttons is just embarrassing himself with that nonsense.

It’s a ranking. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I actually agree with Sennecke, he’s a late first rounder IMO. Probably not second round but what’s special about him?

You do realize Parekh had 33 goals as a defenseman in the OHL? Not even Drew Doughty had those types of numbers. Parekh is legit and he’s a RHD as well.

Both are good, Dickinson better defensively and bigger. But I don’t think it’s as bad as you’re making it seem. Personal preference I’d go with Dickinson myself TBH

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I also prefer Dickinson for the overall abilities package but not by much. Parekh is a record breaking player. His talent is immense and he's certainly not that small.

I'm not a fan of Button either but I don't think that's one to dunk him on.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I don’t watch junior, but from what I e read of Luchanko, he has a good vibe. Plays all situations, and iirc he can really fly. That sounds like a kid who can move quickly up to complementary role and progress.
Any insights?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don’t watch junior, but from what I e read of Luchanko, he has a good vibe. Plays all situations, and iirc he can really fly. That sounds like a kid who can move quickly up to complementary role and progress.
Any insights?

I heard some Leaf scouts were taking in a Guelph game, likely for the purposes of scouting him.

I don't know much else beyond the basics; centre, right shot, fast playmaker.

Possibly a 2C.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I heard some Leaf scouts were taking in a Guelph game, likely for the purposes of scouting him.

I don't know much else beyond the basics; centre, right shot, fast playmaker.

Possibly a 2C.
I like Luchenko, but I hope if they go for a forward in the Leafs presumed range they find a way to get Michael Hage or Lucas Pettersson.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I like Luchenko, but I hope if they go for a forward in the Leafs presumed range they find a way to get Michael Hage or Lucas Pettersson.

I don't know enough to offer up much of an opinion to be honest.

If you pull a 2C, that's great, or go for a RD if there is a good one in our range...those are the hardest things to find.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

First time I read that my mind saw, "is that asking for Trouba?"

Broberg is high on Oilers list, but it does sound like he's got upside.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

This is like shitting on an Erik Karlsson type prospect because you like someone who is bigger. Button has some bad takes sometimes but this likely isn't one of them. Parekh is one of the top ranked prospects for a reason. 96 pts in 63 games as a Dman is no joke

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
No. 27: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL) Height: 5-foot-11 Weight 170 pounds

Luchanko brings more than just offence. He's a player who can be relied upon in a variety of roles. Listed as a winger, but he plays the majority of his shifts in the middle. On the PP he slots into a role as a quarterback, distributor, shooter, playmaker on the point and leads the breakout. Leans distributor more than shooter, but has an understated and deceptive release with the ability to change the angle of his blade to direct pucks on net. Competes the entire 200 feet. Sturdy strong. Not punishing physically, but also not easy to knock off the play. Very good skater who's trending up.

Jett has one of the best backhanders I've seen since Sundin. That's his go-to move.

Reactions: aingefan

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Not entirely true. A good C could be ready in 2 seasons. Look at Cowan for example. We need good C if that's the bpa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad