2024 Draft Thread

horner

May 22, 2007
Interested to see how many teams pass on Trevor Connelly. If he makes it to the second round the league is a disgrace.
Personally I wouldn't draft him he's sliding for a reason.
Posting a picture with a swastika in college then in 2021 huraling a racial slur at another player that he denies .
Nhl scouts that were at the game noticed what he did.
Smart nope

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
To be honest, I don't see a trade back.

I say this because we resisted trading our 1st for help at the TDL so maybe they have someone in mind they like?

That being said, wouldn't be upset with doing something like a 5th and Robertson for a 2nd this year or next.
The more likely scenario is if we lose first round they may trade up. There is pressure to hit a triple(draft 3 players) in this draft since we have no picks next year. How many spots does Robertson get us ?

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The more likely scenario is if we lose first round they may trade up. There is pressure to hit a triple(draft 3 players) in this draft since we have no picks next year.

Finding 3 players is a pretty special draft.

Usually you want to average 1-1.5 players per draft (the .5 accounts for some years you come up with nothing)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
To be honest, I don't see a trade back.

I say this because we resisted trading our 1st for help at the TDL so maybe they have someone in mind they like?

That being said, wouldn't be upset with doing something like a 5th and Robertson for a 2nd this year or next.
Nearly 0.5 PPG on an ELC, in limited time on the ice, and we are going to move him for a 2nd... that might see the ice, and might be as good as Robertson, in 3-5 years time? I mean, that's not a very smart move, and I'm being polite about that. 2.489 Pts/60 where he is 102nd in the league, out of some 900 players... 63rd in the league in Goals/60. That's top 10 percentile.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Finding 3 players is a pretty special draft.

Usually you want to average 1-1.5 players per draft (the .5 accounts for some years you come up with nothing)
Well the goal is always 2. But if the first is a stud, the job gets easier. We need at least 2 players from this draft. Anything next year will be 5 to 6 years, if ever. Way outside our window.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nearly 0.5 PPG on an ELC, in limited time on the ice, and we are going to move him for a 2nd... that might see the ice, and might be as good as Robertson, in 3-5 years time? I mean, that's not a very smart move, and I'm being polite about that. 2.489 Pts/60 where he is 102nd in the league, out of some 900 players... 63rd in the league in Goals/60. That's top 10 percentile.

I'd prefer to get an actual useful player back in a trade.

Robertson apparently quietly requested a trade, the defensive/size issues are problematic, you can make a case they may get smoothed out in the next year or so but who knows.

I just would be a bit surprised to see him return next year given what we know.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Robertson apparently quietly requested a trade, the defensive/size issues are problematic, you can make a case they may get smoothed out in the next year or so but who knows.

We trade him, and I guarantee in a couple of years, he'll be another player we are crying about having traded away. It would be a very stupid move to move on from him.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Quietly requested a trade?
This sounds new.
And interestingly he’s just getting to the point where the physicality isn’t overwhelming him, he’s playing his greasy game more, coming into his own.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Debrusk requested a trade from Boston too. I’m pretty sure Robertson just wants to regularly play and if we are going to then we don’t need to trade him.

I think playing time would remedy the situation.

I don't know if Robertson will get it under Keefe but I have a hard time believing that Keefe is going to be the coach after this season short of a final 4 run.

So you may be able to punt the issue to next year, extend him cheap in the off-season for 1 year and see where it goes.

Reactions: aingefan

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Posting a picture with a swastika in college then in 2021 huraling a racial slur at another player that he denies .
Smart nope
He did his stint in the reeducation camp. Time to move forward.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think playing time would remedy the situation.

I don't know if Robertson will get it under Keefe but I have a hard time believing that Keefe is going to be the coach after this season short of a final 4 run.

So you may be able to punt the issue to next year, extend him cheap in the off-season for 1 year and see where it goes.
Even with a new coach I doubt he gets more playing time. He's not getting PP1 time here, he's not good enough to PK and he's not gonna be playing in our top 6 because Knies is a better fit and if Bertuzzi ad Domi stay they are also better fits so he'll just be a 3rd liner and PP2 guy. If he's not happy with that then move him to Seattle for Rehkopf and a pick.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Smart nope
He was 16 when he did that. Was he a budding Nazi or a stupid little kid that didn't realize what that could mean to some people. I would need something more material than one social media post to write him off. I'll bet he goes top 20 unless he is Tony DeAngelo in the interview.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He was 16 when he did that. Was he a budding Nazi or a stupid little kid that didn't realize what that could mean to some people. I would need something more material than one social media post to write him off. I'll bet he goes top 20 unless he is Tony DeAngelo in the interview.

No one taking another Mitch Miller.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Beckett Sennecke is having a good first round for Oshawa.

3 goals, 3 assists through 4 games and scored the OT winner last night.

Big kid with lots of talent and has recently had a crazy growth spurt (went from 5'10 to 6'3 in two years).

One of those players who with some added weight/strength could become a real force in a few years.

He's also from Toronto which is a cool bonus.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
No one taking another Mitch Miller.
For sure not, but unlike many fans I don't think most teams judge the actions of a 16 year old as though they were 25. Fighting, drinking and driving, unprotected sex and occasional crimes are just a few things in a lot of teen's years that most left far behind by the ago of 20. Mitch Miller was a confirmed dirtbag bully with a lot more history and when push came to shove he couldn't even manage a proper apology so not only is he a dick, he is a stupid dick. I would hate to see the household he grew up in because abusing disabled people is about as low as you can go.

Teams will do their due diligence because nobody wants a DeAngelo situation. There is bad behavior and then there are bells that can't be unrung. Logan Mailloux id the next one up. We'll see if Kai Uchaz can scrape enough to get a chance. At least he is working at it but I think its still likely he goes to Europe for any kind of career.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Wonder just how far Adam Jiricek will fall due to his injury.
He was a consensus first rounder but even before he got hurt some lists had him as a late 1st. 0 points in 19 games might be a concern but this is not a deep draft so some club with two 1sts will snag him before he gets to the Leafs.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
MyNhldraft mock has the Leafs with :

Charlie Elick
Ht/Wt: 6' 3"/190 lbs
Position: RHD
Team: Brandon (WHL)

Charlie Elick's Player Profile​

Rachel Doerrie - ESPN - April 2nd: "His offensive rush and transition play have taken big steps this year, but he projects as a rangy, shutdown defenseman who is a nightmare to play against. He'll need to develop his instincts and continue to evolve his transition game, but Elick has an attractive package of functional size, mobility and a mean streak that's a mile long."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - March 25th: "He’s got a good stick and great feet defending the rush and gapping up, but can also step up and lay the body, which he does with force (he's one of the hardest-hitting players in the draft, regularly driving through players to sit them down along the wall and occasionally even leaving his feet). He has shown he can use his skating to be more involved in the rush/transition this year."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - March 12th: "Elick isn't a natural puck-mover and can make some questionable puck decisions. He will need to clean that up, but he has good hands and isn't a negative with the puck on his stick. In a role where he just needs to defend well and make a basic outlet, he could potentially be a top-four NHL defenseman."

Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - March 9th: "Elick is one of the best skaters in this draft class and doesn’t need to put much effort to get up to full speed. The fact he can do that at 6-foot-3? Awesome. His puck-play brings him down a bit, though."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad