Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I’d look at Hage at 17. He’s the BPA imo and you can’t go wrong with a 2 way center with decent size.
He’s going to Michigan which will definitely help iron out his game. I think his tools will keep him at center. He may end up being much better than advertised losing time in development with shoulder injury. I like taking either a natural C or D with our first pick. Good size, excellent skater, and a Righty too.

he really intrigues me.
What did you think about Buttons latest rankings?

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Michael Hage or Sacha Boisvert would be solid picks at around where the Blues might draft in the first. Leaning more toward Boisvert as he's more of a 2 way player and also good at face offs. Both are headed to the NCAA with Boisvert going to North Dakota. Both are good C prospects. Right now with two picks in the second there will be some good D picks available. Doubt Freij or Elick (RD) make it to the mid 40's and wouldn't have an issue with either selected with our first. After the first 10 or 12 prospects there is a larger tier of players so expect some names taken that might surprise some. Lots of D to look at in this draft, even past the top 6. Matvei Shuravin and Leon Muggli might be candidates in the second.

Reactions: Blueswin

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He’s going to Michigan which will definitely help iron out his game. I think his tools will keep him at center. He may end up being much better than advertised losing time in development with shoulder injury. I like taking either a natural C or D with our first pick. Good size, excellent skater, and a Righty too.

What did you think about Buttons latest rankings?
Button is funny. I don’t get the sense that he puts in the time to dig deep on all these guys the way some other draftniks do, so you get weird results where he falls for certain guys. Like no way would i expect to see Parekh and buium as top 4 picks over levshunov and Dickinson, but if button loves a guy that means a lot more to me than if wheeler does, even if his overall rankings are odd.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Michael Hage or Sacha Boisvert would be solid picks at around where the Blues might draft in the first. Leaning more toward Boisvert as he's more of a 2 way player and also good at face offs. Both are headed to the NCAA with Boisvert going to North Dakota. Both are good C prospects. Right now with two picks in the second there will be some good D picks available. Doubt Freij or Elick (RD) make it to the mid 40's and wouldn't have an issue with either selected with our first. After the first 10 or 12 prospects there is a larger tier of players so expect some names taken that might surprise some. Lots of D to look at in this draft, even past the top 6. Matvei Shuravin and Leon Muggli might be candidates in the second.
I don’t think Muggli ever comes over and plays here. Smallish and not physical.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Button is funny. I don’t get the sense that he puts in the time to dig deep on all these guys the way some other draftniks do, so you get weird results where he falls for certain guys. Like no way would i expect toI see Parekh and buium as top 4 picks over levshunov and Dickinson, but if button loves a guy that means a lot more to me than if wheeler does even if his overall rankings are odd.
This year is almost comical wondering which defenseman will all the sudden be a first round pick. Fibigr??? Also has Catton at 5’10”. He does look small.

Does anyone take Hutson or Kivaharju in the 1st round? I don’t see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I know he got suspended for some reason with social media, but it killed Sudbury when they lost Nathan Villenueve at center. Excellent skater and character two way player. I hope the Blues look at him late third round.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I know he got suspended for some reason with social media, but it killed Sudbury when they lost Nathan Villenueve at center. Excellent skater and character two way player. I hope the Blues look at him late third round.
he got suspended for allegedly targeting an opponent who had injured a teammate. seem to recall allegations that he put bounty on someone's head? not saying don't draft him, because i don't expect 18 yo kids to never do stupid things, but it wasn't just an ill-advised social media post. he tried to extract revenge on another player. i would want a level of confidence that he has learned lesson and can keep his temper in check, that he wasn't a hot head who would put us at a disadvantage.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Watching this BU Minnesota game and I hope to all that is holy that Chicago doesn’t get Celebrini. He’s stupid good and the youngest player in college hockey. Curious where he’d go if he was a year older and in the 23 draft. Maybe 2nd?

Last edited:

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Watching this BU Minnesota game and I hope to all that is holy that Chicago doesn’t get Celebrini. He’s stupid good and the youngest player in college hockey. Curious where he’d go if he was a year older and in the 23 draft. Maybe 2nd?
Easily second. If Chicago somehow gets Celebrini...I'm gonna be pissed.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I see no way Chicago doesn't get Celebrini. It's already been drawn up by the NHL. Just like I'm expecting Gavin McKenna to be drafted by the Pens in 26.

• Wow

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
any big nasty Dmen in 2nd and 3rd round?
yes. i'm thinking based on where we are likely to be picking, a forward is likely to be top guy on board in 1st but we have 2 2nds and this is really good draft to be able to get high potential (but rawer) d in 2nd (fischer, gill, kleber, maybe the usndtp guys...). i don't think there is much dropoff between late teens and 50 (but there is big drop after top 8-10 guys).

Reactions: Mike Liut

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
yes. i'm thinking based on where we are likely to be picking, a forward is likely to be top guy on board in 1st but we have 2 2nds and this is really good draft to be able to get high potential (but rawer) d in 2nd (fischer, gill, kleber, maybe the usndtp guys...). i don't think there is much dropoff between late teens and 50 (but there is big drop after top 8-10 guys).
I watched USNTP vs Dubuque. Great game. Emery and Skahan look like players on D. Hensler was really good also. Hagens was the best player on the ice. Inside top 5 for sure. No one else really stood out other than Eiserman offensively that I noticed. It was a track meet all night. Both teams can really skate. Reeder was Dubuques best player. Pahlssen is really good.
Pekarcik also played the best I’ve seen in a while. He will make a stellar pass then you wonder who he even passed to. Needs to shoot more. Spent too much time off his skates. He’ll need to work on that. I see a third or 4th line guy. I thin he is still nursing injuries and not playing 100%. Not as aggressive.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Another mock

17 STL Sacha Boisvert LHC Canada 6' 2" 178
2023-24Muskegon LumberjacksUSHL57342862867

49 STL Marek Vanacker LW Canada 6' 0" 175
Brantford BulldogsOHL6836468255711122

55 T STL Kamil Bednarik LHC United States 5' 11" 177
Those are all nice players and good value picks, and boisvert is I think realistic and desirable option for us in 1st, but would be quite disappointing to not get a d with any of our first 3 picks.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Those are all nice players and good value picks, and boisvert is I think realistic and desirable option for us in 1st, but would be quite disappointing to not get a d with any of our first 3 picks.
Honestly, my biggest problem would be with the 49 pick(Charlie Elick still on the board).

The other two I really can't argue with them being BPA at that spot.

Although
- I'm curious how we moved to the #17 spot given that we're currently in the #16 spot and falling.
- That's pretty much a worse case scenario for us.
- In real life, Army would have been scrambling to find any kind of trade(either move up to grab Silayev or move back to get picks in the 20-40 range).

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Another mock

17 STL Sacha Boisvert LHC Canada 6' 2" 178
2023-24Muskegon LumberjacksUSHL57342862867

49 STL Marek Vanacker LW Canada 6' 0" 175
Brantford BulldogsOHL6836468255711122

55 T STL Kamil Bednarik LHC United States 5' 11" 177
I wouldn’t take Bednarik until the 5th round or later. He really isn’t that impressive watching him. The other two would be exceptional picks if you could get both. I don’t see it short of a trade. Van may go first round.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I wouldn’t take Bednarik until the 5th round or later. He really isn’t that impressive watching him. The other two would be exceptional picks if you could get both. I don’t see it short of a trade. Van may go first round.
He is interesting. Good size, nice physical package, not flashy. Seems like he could be nice middle 6 center, one of those guys whose role on ntdp doesn’t put him in offensive role that he would get on most junior teams.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He is interesting. Good size, nice physical package, not flashy. Seems like he could be nice middle 6 center, one of those guys whose role on ntdp doesn’t put him in offensive role that he would get on most junior teams.
I don’t disagree with you, but am I going to pass on Pettersson, Vuollet, Erickson, Koivu, Villenueve, Bouillard, to name a few to take him? Never mind the D left on the board. Not at all. Dubuque could skate with them. Good game to watch when not cruising against a lesser opponent.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
Honestly, my biggest problem would be with the 49 pick(Charlie Elick still on the board).

The other two I really can't argue with them being BPA at that spot.

Although
- I'm curious how we moved to the #17 spot given that we're currently in the #16 spot and falling.
- That's pretty much a worse case scenario for us.
- In real life, Army would have been scrambling to find any kind of trade(either move up to grab Silayev or move back to get picks in the 20-40 range).
Ya I think #16 would be the highest spot we could have as the other 16 teams make the playoff. If we pick #17th we would be in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad