Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Reactions: Blueston

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Having read a lot about the upcoming draft, I'm not too worried about the fact that we're picking mid teens vs. where we might have been had we sucked down the stretch. Outside of the top 5-8, which we were never in the mix for, there are a lot of intriguing prospects, but all have positives and negatives. Players always fall too, so who knows. I think even at 16 there's going to be a solid choice and I trust our drafting process.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Having read a lot about the upcoming draft, I'm not too worried about the fact that we're picking mid teens vs. where we might have been had we sucked down the stretch. Outside of the top 5-8, which we were never in the mix for, there are a lot of intriguing prospects, but all have positives and negatives. Players always fall too, so who knows. I think even at 16 there's going to be a solid choice and I trust our drafting process.

We are 7-2-1 over the last 10. If we were 2-7-1 instead, we'd be sitting at the 7th pick. Top 8 was not out of the realm of possibility.

Even so, I'd rather have a slightly higher pick. Ignoring what it takes to get a higher pick, picking sooner is always better. While prospects are organized in tiers, that doesn't mean they are all fungible within the tier, or that everyone will agree on who is in each tier. Picking sooner gives you a better chance for a player to slip to you, or gives you more choices on which player in the tier to take.

Last edited:

Mar 6, 2012
There's so much random chance in the draft. You can get a late bloomer franchise pick in the low teens. You just never know. Maybe in an alternate universe they stink it up and draft 7th and take a decent player, but it turns out that the 12th pick that year turns into a superstar.

I mean, it's always better to pick earlier, but most successful teams are successful because they "luck out" and get players who outperform their draft pedigree.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
There's so much random chance in the draft. You can get a late bloomer franchise pick in the low teens. You just never know. Maybe in an alternate universe they stink it up and draft 7th and take a decent player, but it turns out that the 12th pick that year turns into a superstar.

I mean, it's always better to pick earlier, but most successful teams are successful because they "luck out" and get players who outperform their draft pedigree.
Most successful teams are successful because they draft franchise changing talent. In most cases, that happens in the top 5 of the draft.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Also, picking higher moves our pick up in every round of the draft. An early 2nd rounder could blossom into a great player. Would of loved to have had two top-40 picks, including a top 8 pick.

I feel like this season has been a worst-case scenario, we dont have the depth or talent to truly compete, but i would say we played almost to the max-potential of this current roster. And the goalies are a big part of that. Its too bad we get punished for winning a bunch of close games that could have gone either way, being a middling team sucks.

Reactions: Spear and Blueswin

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

It's not random chance. We didn't luck into Robert Thomas. We had him really high on our draft board. It was luck nobody else above us didn't scout him as well, and didn't have him as high. But its not like we pulled a name out of a hat and Army was like "why are we drafting the guy from matchbox 20? Oh well"

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Pretty fortunate to play with Lindstrom and McKenna. Doesn’t really do anything on his own. Skates well but doesn’t seem to accomplish much.
Yes he’s fortunate to play with those two but he can definitely hold his own. Kid has a motor and the smarts to make plays. He clearly assertive himself when Lindstrom was out of the lineup.

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He's my option if we're in the teens over guys like Jiricek. I don't care where he's rated; he's one of the best skaters in this class, has a lethal shot, and can do damn near everything on the ice.
I came to the conclusion years ago that the USHL is underscouted and many of their players underrated.

From John Carlson to Jaden Schwartz and Kyle Connor…I’d watch these guys and be blown away. Yes, most of the best players in the USHL are all concentrated on the NTDP but when one of these guys really shines on a non-NTDP USHL team, they seem to get discounted.

I think the same is happening with Hage. Same could be said for Boisvert, Connelly and Gridin as well. This is a strong crop out of the USHL this year.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I came to the conclusion years ago that the USHL is underscouted and many of their players underrated.

From John Carlson to Jaden Schwartz and Kyle Connor…I’d watch these guys and be blown away. Yes, most of the best players in the USHL are all concentrated on the NTDP but when one of these guys really shines on a non-NTDP USHL team, they seem to get discounted.

I think the same is happening with Hage. Same could be said for Boisvert, Connelly and Gridin as well. This is a stony crop out of the USHL this year.
agreed. and conversely, i've thought guys from ohl have traditionally been overrated bc toronto is center of hockey universe. i don't think that is true anymore, as lately guys like ritchie and musty seem to have been overly-scrutinized and picked lower than they should have.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri

I think the same is happening with Hage. Same could be said for Boisvert, Connelly and Gridin as well. This is a stony crop out of the USHL this year.

Trading down and picking Gridin would be my second option if Hage isn't there. Not much of a fan of Connelly. Boisvert would be a decent pick, but I prefer Hage's speed.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Yes he’s fortunate to play with those two but he can definitely hold his own. Kid has a motor and the smarts to make plays. He clearly assertive himself when Lindstrom was out of the lineup.
He needs to play assertive now before they get eliminated. He’s just letting them run him out of the front of the net in the playoffs. Plays very small. If you’re drafting to win in the playoffs, then I don’t think I would pick him.

Look up Yegor Surin. He’s having one heckuva playoff in the MHL just three points behind Demidov. He’s leading his team. This is the time of year to find your guys that show up when you need them to.

Reactions: Drubilly

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006

I think the same is happening with Hage. Same could be said for Boisvert, Connelly and Gridin as well. This is a strong crop out of the USHL this year.
USHL is an underrated league. I was working for a USHL team when guys like Blake Coleman and Trevor Moore (who is breaking out for LA) were around. And plenty more talent that made it to the show. They were very good players. It’s a good, solid competitive league.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
USHL is an underrated league. I was working for a USHL team when guys like Blake Coleman and Trevor Moore (who is breaking out for LA) were around. And plenty more talent that made it to the show. They were very good players. It’s a good, solid competitive league.
I wonder how the upcoming changes to the CHL being allowed to college will effect the USHL

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I wonder how the upcoming changes to the CHL being allowed to college will effect the USHL
I would be very surprised if these changes take effect any time soon, if at all, as NCAA coaches and AD's are passionately against the idea. But to your point, there would definitely be a talent drain in the USHL if the cream of the crop 16-18 yr old American players can venture to the CHL w/out repercussions of NCAA eligibility.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad