GDT: 2024 Anaheim Ducks World Juniors Discussion

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Warren with a heavy hit to stifle a rush in the neutral zone early against Sweden.

Canada seems to have lost another D to injury , arguably their best remaining guy in Mateychuk. Warren has been paired with Sens prospect Jorian Donavon on what would now be the second pair (I believe).

Furlong - Lamoureux
Donovan - Warren
Bonk - Nelson

Canada will have the option to fly in another D if Mateychuk is done for the tournament.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Snuggerud was definitely who I had circled when we ended up picking Gauthier. But jury is still out until we see what they can become at the NHL level.

Gaucher has recently shown very good signs of play and production. His season has improved playing with Tracey and Caulfield.

Gaucher played the shutdown role in winning two WJC gold medals. If Gaucher can improve his skating (turning), then that should help him stick at the NHL level.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Pretty bad awareness by Warren on the Sweden goal. Was stuck in no mans land and screened the goalie. Made a couple poor passing decisions as well. He has been very physical atleast

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
pretty bad awareness by Warren on the Sweden goal. was stuck in no mans land and screened the goalie. He has been very physical atleast

It's sort of easy to see how he gets caught in between there. As the D, he can't fully commit to pushing out to block the lane, has to basically play it as a 2on1 between the puck carrier and his own man. The winger responsible for that side was completely out of position. Tough one really

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Pretty bad awareness by Warren on the Sweden goal. Was stuck in no mans land and screened the goalie. Made a couple poor passing decisions as well. He has been very physical atleast
He's been awful, I never have and I still don't see an NHL player in him, his physicality might get him a spot on a bottom pairing somewhere but unless he improves astronomically I cannot see him being anything more than that.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
He's been awful, I never have and I still don't see an NHL player in him, his physicality might get him a spot on a bottom pairing somewhere but unless he improves astronomically I cannot see him being anything more than that.
All the lost development surely hasnt helped. Seems like the game is going too fast for him right now

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Not that it matters because he's already shown he's an NHL player, but it's kinda jarring how bad Poitras has been at this tournament.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I don't know that I'd go that far, but I'm mostly with you. He just looks like a big dude. I don't see awareness there or great positional hockey. He's physical and skates decently enough for a big man, but he's going to need more than that to be a good NHL player.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This tourny is wide open. Canada is getting killed by injuries. The US barely survives today.

Most of the guys in that period havent even made the NHL.
If they haven’t made the NHL yet, it begs the question if they’re really that great at drafting or if it’s the hype train running out of control

This is LA Kings prospect pool syndrome from 2019-2022
Possibly

I’m sorry but generally speaking these days if a player is in his D+4 and isn’t in the NHL full time I’m very skeptical of him being an impact player

Reactions: Kalv

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Warren is an interesting player. In the prospect tournament he looked awful in the first game and then quickly adapted in the following games, improving every time.

It will be interesting to see if he can do this same in this tournament.

I also think European ice is when a player of his size/play style is least effective.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I believe the org has tagged Warren a long term project. The org can take their time with Warren, which is what I think asst GM Madden was alluding to when he said sometimes it might take until they're 22 or 23 years old.

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Some clear struggles early on for Warren against Germany, three pretty blatant errors trying to move pucks. Like I said, he's one with whom we'll need to be patient.

Have to remember that Manson would have been no where close to ready for this tournament at 19. These types of guys can take a longer development track.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Some clear struggles early on for Warren against Germany, three pretty blatant errors trying to move pucks. Like I said, he's one with whom we'll need to be patient.

Have to remember that Manson would have been no where close to ready for this tournament at 19. These types of guys can take a longer development track.
Makes me want us to trade for Bichsel who looks more refined. He could play next year and mentor under Gudas.

I think we have a lot of depth but we need to trade up for quality in our next stage. Instead of more picks, I hope we trade guys like Rico and other prospects like Perreault/Tracey, Moore, Helleson who can help a team like Dallas right now for someone like Bichsel who would be a profile that we need and don’t currently have.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Makes me want us to trade for Bichsel who looks more refined. He could play next year and mentor under Gudas.

I think we have a lot of depth but we need to trade up for quality in our next stage. Instead of more picks, I hope we trade guys like Rico and other prospects like Perreault/Tracey, Moore, Helleson who can help a team like Dallas right now for someone like Bichsel who would be a profile that we need and don’t currently have.
I've looked into Bichsel here and there on the prospects board. Bichsel has been odd. He had it in his contract that he could leave for Sweden on Dec 1 or something like that.

As for what Bichsel is worth, I'd think Dallas would add onto Bichsel for Rico.

• Haha
Reactions: AngelDuck

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
No shot Dallas trades Bichsel for Rico one for one. Even with max retention and a team friendly deal signed for the next year or two. Ducks would have to add or take bad salary if Dallas has any.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad