Blue Jays GDT: 2023 v9 | Thu, Aug 24 | @ BAL | 7:00pm ET/4:00pm PT | Berrios vs Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
This team isn’t making the playoffs with an offence as putrid as this. Vlad has been off all year. Management has a lot of decisions to make this winter. A $200 million payroll that doesn’t make the playoffs needs major changes. The pitching is under contract for the next few years, they got to figure out Manoah (maybe tell him to lose some weight) they gotta figure out the catching situation ( Maybe tell Kirk to lose some weight). They will likely let Chapman and Merrifield go due to costs. Gotta figure out what you do with Vlad because like I’ve said a million times it looks like he’s regressing already. Take out his Covid year where he was mashing balls in Buffalo he hasn’t come close to his potential

Reactions: shaner8989

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
3 runs down with two innings left.

what sort of miracle are we praying for here?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What a disaster of a season.

Only silver lining is that Atkins will probably get fired. Maybe Schneider too.

Atkins being obstinately stubborn about the offense is one of the most bewildering things I’ve ever seen from a GM of a bonafide contender.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Atkins being obstinately stubborn about the offense is one of the most bewildering things I’ve ever seen from a GM of a bonafide contender.
Yeah by the deadline it waas painfully obvious that the team's achilles heel was driving runs in.

In several interviews during the year he kept saying "we just need a couple guys to get hot for a while".

Well shit... Here we are at the end of August, with the same issues as pretty much all year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah by the deadline it waas painfully obvious that the team's achilles heel was driving runs in.

In several interviews during the year he kept saying "we just need a couple guys to get hot for a while".

Well shit... Here we are at the end of August, with the same issues as pretty much all year.
His interviews are immensely frustrating to watch.

He’s usually smug in them and it’s annoying when there are usually significant issues with his rosters.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
His interviews are immensely frustrating to watch.

He’s usually smug in them and it’s annoying when there are usually significant issues with his rosters.
Yeah, I agree. His lips move but he says absolutely nothing of substance.

I do hope that Mark Shapiro realizes this, and will make a GM change next year.

Reactions: Cloned

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You know the offense is bad when even Campbell and Martinez start calling them out.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

Apart from firing the hitting coach which may or may not do anything, what do you think there is to be done to solve this problem?

The issue is that the MAJORITY of your lineup of what are supposed to be your best hitters have all gone AWOL at the same time.

There was no trade-deadline saviour to that problem. Very few teams sold at the deadline, and if you think that Tommy Pham (97 wRC+ in Arizona since being traded) or Teoscar Hernandez (105 wRC+ on the season) are magically fixing this offense somehow then you aren't paying attention.

Davis Schneider isn't solving this problem. You have upwards of 4-5 guys in the lineup at any given time who are all just not producing up to their ability.

The only actual "fix" is for Guerrero, Chapman, Springer, Kirk, etc. to start increasing their production and playing up to their past ability at the same time. Period.

I don't give a shit about Atkins, but this whole whinging about him "not solving the offense" is moronic. Yes guys, bringing back Teoscar Hernandez would have this team scoring 8+ runs a game right now.

Reactions: MS and canucksfan

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
What a waste of a very good pitching this year. The hitting coaches and strategist lmao are brutal. This team hasn’t changed a bit all year offensively. Arguably worse in the second half.

Reactions: stats1

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
As much as people rave about Chapman’s glove, the guy can’t hit for shit. Good luck to the team that throws 25-30 million a year at him because he can snag the ball… guy went from player of the month in April to batting under .250…. Just a complete meltdown. Never seen a guy whiff on as many fastballs as he does. Some clown show team like the White Sox probably give this guy 125-150 million in the winter

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Apart from firing the hitting coach which may or may not do anything, what do you think there is to be done to solve this problem?

The issue is that the MAJORITY of your lineup of what are supposed to be your best hitters have all gone AWOL at the same time.

There was no trade-deadline saviour to that problem. Very few teams sold at the deadline, and if you think that Tommy Pham (97 wRC+ in Arizona since being traded) or Teoscar Hernandez (105 wRC+ on the season) are magically fixing this offense somehow then you aren't paying attention.

Davis Schneider isn't solving this problem. You have upwards of 4-5 guys in the lineup at any given time who are all just not producing up to their ability.

The only actual "fix" is for Guerrero, Chapman, Springer, Kirk, etc. to start increasing their production and playing up to their past ability at the same time. Period.

I don't give a shit about Atkins, but this whole whinging about him "not solving the offense" is moronic. Yes guys, bringing back Teoscar Hernandez would have this team scoring 8+ runs a game right now.
He should be doing SOMETHING.

Fire the hitting coach.

Trade for Candelario, who has a .900+ OPS since being traded to the Cubs.

Or maybe he should’ve just taken some action during the offseason to shore up the offense like some of us were saying.

I’m not sure why Atkins continues to get the benefit of the doubt here. He’s Cheveldayoff. A “solid GM” who can’t push his rosters over the top. Wasting years of contention and before you know it, the window has slammed shut.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
As much as people rave about Chapman’s glove, the guy can’t hit for shit. Good luck to the team that throws 25-30 million a year at him because he can snag the ball… guy went from player of the month in April to batting under .250…. Just a complete meltdown. Never seen a guy whiff on as many fastballs as he does. Some clown show team like the White Sox probably give this guy 125-150 million in the winter
He's easily played his way out of Toronto. The only unfortunate is we won't get a comp pick for him now. Unless they really roll the dice. Every team we needded to lose aside from the M'as lost tonight. Could have made up good ground tonight. This team is just broken and you can see the widening of the cracks. Gausman, Schneider calling out the bats and somoene else and they respond by continuing to do nothing. I really wish they would have fired Schneder at the all start break

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Picked up tickets for Wednesday afternoon, they better show up.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
At which point do you think about giving Orelvis or Barger a game? They can't just keep running the same strike out cucks

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Where's Shaner when you need him?
It’s just unwatchable trash bro. I can’t even stay tuned in. It’s been trash since game 1 it’s just now that everyone sees it.

Best pitching in the league. Ranked number 1 and you miss the playoffs.

That’s the definition of f***ing trash.

Reactions: rdogg

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
What a disaster of a season.

Only silver lining is that Atkins will probably get fired. Maybe Schneider too.

Disaster of a season lol. Talk to fans of 2/3 of the league and see if they would trade with us.

You have a core group of guys that you expect to carry the team offensively. Simply put, they aren’t getting it done. Not sure you can blame Atkins for that. The pitching and bullpen are lights out, I can’t blame him for thinking Springer, Kirk, Vladdy and Chapman would snap out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad