Blue Jays GDT: 2023 v9 | Thu, Aug 24 | @ BAL | 7:00pm ET/4:00pm PT | Berrios vs Gibson

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Look everyone knew that some of these deals for these veterans weren't gonna age well, like Springer or Ryu.

But it opened the door for other decent free agents to sign here like Gausman, Bassitt, etc.

Yeah we have to overpay, but otherwise can't compete.

Reactions: Gustave

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The thing that gets me the most about Springer is it doesn't seem to be some aging or injury drop off. His profile is still very similar in a lot of ways. He's a plus defender, limits Ks, late 200s BABIP, etc.

It's just his power has taken such a severe drop off that it's tanking his season. I'm going to cling to some optimism here and just hope it's an approach issue. Sure would be interesting to hear what Martinez, Hudgens, and Mense have to say about it!

Everything about Springer is a predictable injury-related dropoff.

He's about to turn 34 in a league where almost nobody hits well past age 35 anymore.

His EVs are the lowest of his career.

Hard-hit ball % is the 2nd lowest of his career.

His K:BB ratios are the worst since his first year or two in MLB, and when those drop it's usually a telltale sign of batspeed dropping for guys in their 30s.

That 0-40 thing that happened was an outlier and has probably dropped his numbers this year a bit further than you'd expect but this was always something that was going to happen from the second that contract was signed.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I've never really latched on to Shapiro and Atkins, so my affinity to them is not that high. I've respected what they've done, and the process in doing so, and I'm all for giving management some tenure than just abruptly getting rid of them if there are no results within 3 years (for example).

But at some point you have to look at his (Atkins') direction. 8 years now at the helm, and the team really hasn't achieved its capabilities. Especially when another team within your division (Baltimore) went from being a bottom-feeder to now surpassing them in that time.

I like that Shapiro has focused more on the off-field portion that comes with the president's job now than when he first came in.

The window of contention hit us fast and the Jays still have the resources to retool on the fly and sustain competitiveness.

The O’s had been in full on tank mode for a 4 year stretch (2x 1-1, a 1-2, and a 1-5 pick) and have been starting to reap the rewards. It’s great for them but it’s gotta feel pretty good for us when we hear that their ownership is still operating as a small market org that will probably be incapable of paying all their stars/future stars.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I mean if you admit he makes good trades (which you did)… why wouldn’t you want him to trade Vladdy? Wouldn’t it be.. a good trade?
Making good trades and building a champ winner is two different things. You can make all the good trades you want if the players don't fit together you wont win. We see this all the time. I've been saying since the beginning of the season that my problem with the team is not the players but how the team is built. Mostly the offense. With the last additions to the bullpen (Cabrera, Hicks) i'm comfortable with pitching. All jays position players are good players that could help a team under the right circumstances. But as a whole it's a slow lineup on base with not that much power to compensate.

They must hit doubles and home runs to win but they don't do it regularly enough. When they do hit those home runs and doubles they have success. The number of times i've seen a runner stuck at first on what should have been a double this season is too high. Same for the amount of time a guy at first was stuck at 2nd on a ground ball single hit to the right field. Seen a couple of guys not score from 3rd on what should have been a sac fly too. You can't leave those runs on the base unless you hit with lot of power. Jays are 18th for home runs. 12th for doubles. 19th for stolen base.

Now people can find all the advances stats they want to say it's not a problem and i'm sure someone will do that but for me it's definitely not a recipe for success. Even if you add 10 hr to Vald Jays are still only 13rd in the league. They are also 13th for OPS and while they do better for OBP at 8th it's not like they are 1st and they are slow on base so ... There's only 12 teams making the playoffs. Anyway that's my opinion and i stand by it.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Vladdy is lucky whit couldn’t do anything with they throw because we was just standing watching instead of getting to first.

Reactions: tmlfan98

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Sometime you must give credit to the other team. The two throws were almost pitch perfect.
The throw to home wasn't close to perfect. The jays relay was better than Clevelands, maybe theirs was harder.

Close play that should've broke our way, but didnt.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I feel like at one point the pitchers will have enough. I just don't see how Atkins can afford to do nothing he must fire the hitting coach at the minimum.
He’s done nothing about the offense all season. Not sure he’ll suddenly start now.

Atkins is just a frustrating GM to watch. He’s often smug and self satisfied in his interviews when he hasn’t really accomplished anything.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad