2023 Training Camp

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Not sure how much people are paying attention to other teams right now, but looks like Zach Benson is about to make the Buffalo Sabres. I understand why we didn’t take him at 4th, but goddamn is it absolutely stupid that no one picked him until 13th. This kid is so good and fun, we could end up regretting it.
Every highlight package I watch of his I think of you tooting his horn all last year

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I was looking at a post that was from last season. So he is still with the Sharks?
Bordeleau is currently on the Sharks roster and is expected to play in the home opener.

He will probably return to the Barracuda when Couture is healthy, assuming there are no additional injuries to the forward group, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If he's going to be good, he'll force his way back up anyway in short order.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Do we think Couture or Hertl (or Grandlund???) has any trade potential with Boston?

I'd imagine guys like Pettersson and Lindholm are their top targets, but Hertl-Pasta could be their top line for the next 5+ years or they could get a gamer like Couture to push them in the playoffs.

Then again they have weak draft capital and not much in the prospect cupboards.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Not sure how much people are paying attention to other teams right now, but looks like Zach Benson is about to make the Buffalo Sabres. I understand why we didn’t take him at 4th, but goddamn is it absolutely stupid that no one picked him until 13th. This kid is so good and fun, we could end up regretting it.
He's so good. I loved him so much during the draft year, and I agree it is so stupid that he wasn't picked until 13.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Do we think Couture or Hertl (or Grandlund???) has any trade potential with Boston?

I'd imagine guys like Pettersson and Lindholm are their top targets, but Hertl-Pasta could be their top line for the next 5+ years or they could get a gamer like Couture to push them in the playoffs.

Then again they have weak draft capital and not much in the prospect cupboards.
It's unfortunate that the Sharks are rebuilding at a time when draft picks are more valued than ever.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Scheifele just scored 40 goals and Dahlin from age 24-32 is significantly more valuable than Karlsson from 29-37.
Scheifele isn’t particularly close to a play driver though and isn’t very good defensively. I’d personally take the defense and play driving that Hertl brings (except last year that was not good) over Scheifele but I would definitely understand wanting to take Scheifele over him.

Yeah I can agree on Dahlin in a way. I think Karlsson was the better D at the time of signing and has been for the first few years. It’s obviously going to age poorly but we all knew that.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Makes the Hertl and Karlsson contracts look even worse.
Not so sure about that. Scheifele is going to be in his age 31/32 season whenever that contract begins while Hertl was in his age 28/29 season. I don't think either of them are going to age gracefully, but ending at age 38 for Scheifele is objectively worse than Hertl's deal expiring at age 36.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Not so sure about that. Scheifele is going to be in his age 31/32 season whenever that contract begins while Hertl was in his age 28/29 season. I don't think either of them are going to age gracefully, but ending at age 38 for Scheifele is objectively worse than Hertl's deal expiring at age 36.
All fair points but I think Scheifele's finishing ability puts him in a different class than Hertl. 17% career shooting is crazy high and one of the most unique/valuable skills in the sport. Makes Scheifele a little more age regression proof.

Reactions: Gecklund

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's unfortunate that the Sharks are rebuilding at a time when draft picks are more valued than ever.
it's possible that the copycat league effect comes into play this year as teams try to copy the "vegas model" and a couple teams will decisively sell off futures in a way they usually wouldn't.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
it's possible that the copycat league effect comes into play this year as teams try to copy the "vegas model" and a couple teams will decisively sell off futures in a way they usually wouldn't.
There are some "temporary" factors...a flat cap, the trend away from bridge contracts has made rookie contracts even more valuable, and a handful of teams getting burned trading their first-rounders. Then there are rule changes; the new lottery system and restrictions on trade conditions. But there are long-term secular trends; more awareness of aging curves and regressions, the value of top-tier talent and how difficult it is to trade for it, better talent identification, a move to a faster game which favors younger players...and maybe most of all, the realization that nowadays the maturation curves are quite sharp.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Not sure I'd say that. Look at how many future 1st rounders were traded away at this past TDL. From January 30th until the TDL, there were 13 trades with a 1st round pick exchanging hands. If anything, I think that teams are going the Grier model of valuing prospects far higher than ever before and not putting the same value on a young prospect as they are a 1st round draft pick,

We saw that in the Meier trade. STL was willing to offer a pair of 1st round picks acquired from Toronto and NYR (25 and 29 respectively) plus some lower end prospect or pick, but Grier opted for the NJD deal because he valued Muk + 1st + 2nd higher than lower end prospect with a pair of guaranteed 1st rounders.

Issue with SJ is that the 1st round picks have been handed out to others for players without long-term deals or guys with long-term deals that are super cheap (see anyone that TB has traded for). So the issue is that we don't have the assets to trade for those picks rather than those picks not being available. Hopefully the likes of Granlund, Hoffman, etc. are able to build some trade value over the first half of the season while the team is overall bad and Grier can flip them for nice hauls of draft picks from the teams that are eager and willing to give them away.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Ferraro-Burroughs is going to be fun. I wonder if they can each pass -50.

Also the fact that Vlasic can't pass them on the depth chart is something.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Ferraro-Burroughs is going to be fun. I wonder if they can each pass -50.

Also the fact that Vlasic can't pass them on the depth chart is something.
It feels to me like we have three 2-3rd lines and three 2-3rd pairings. You could argue that Burroughs-Ferraro and Vlasic-Benning are comparable pairings. (It really is dire out here).

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It feels to me like we have three 2-3rd lines and three 2-3rd pairings. You could argue that Burroughs-Ferraro and Vlasic-Benning are comparable pairings. (It really is dire out here).
They are pretty comparable, but all four defensemen are #6-7 guys, so it's really two below-average third pairings and one pair that might be able to be a decent third pairing if Thrun is the real thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad