2023 Training Camp: Hope Springs Eternal

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Isles were 17-9-4 with Horvat and Engvall, and that was largely without Barzal and with a shit powerplay. 17-9-4 translates to 103 points for 82 games, which is 10 more than last year.

This is the time of year to be optimistic – I think they'll be fine and probably surprise a few folks. I'm excited to watch this team.

The human factor as well is Horvat does not have to move his family to a different country. While he was likely not the one doing this it is still his family having to move.

Reactions: Tahoeblue and JKP

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I wasn't so sure this time around, but in the past I had mentioned a few times that I'd expect Johnston to be grabbed if ever put on waivers. There just aren't many of his ilk around anymore and a few teams could (really) use what he offers. Anaheim (after Chicago) seemed like one of the most logical destinations for his services.

I do wonder a wee little bit if the fact that he hasn't cleanly won a dual with anyone since getting b$%&hslapped by Morin (Dman, PHI) a few years back has a little something to do with seeing him expendable at this juncture?

His uninspring preseason bout with Rempe surely didn't renew any trust in his once truly threatening fisticuffs.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I wasn't so sure this time around, but in the past I had mentioned a few times that I'd expect Johnston to be grabbed if ever put on waivers. There just aren't many of his ilk around anymore and a few teams could (really) use what he offers. Anaheim (after Chicago) seemed like one of the most logical destinations for his services.

I do wonder a wee little bit if the fact that he hasn't cleanly won a dual with anyone since getting b$%&hslapped by Morin (Dman, PHI) a few years back has a little something to do with seeing him expendable at this juncture?

His uninspring preseason bout with Rempe surely didn't renew any trust in his once truly threatening fisticuffs.
Yeah he sucks at fighting now.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
My final prediction. They miss the playoffs by a few points. They do not have the scoring to get that extra goal on a consistent basis, their D isn't as good as it once was, Ilya is human and can't score goals. Lastly, the east is better. Buffalo, Ottawa, and Detroit will be tough outs; on the cusp of making an NJD kind of leap. CBJ is improved. The good teams are still good.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My final prediction. They miss the playoffs by a few points. They do not have the scoring to get that extra goal on a consistent basis, their D isn't as good as it once was, Ilya is human and can't score goals. Lastly, the east is better. Buffalo, Ottawa, and Detroit will be tough outs; on the cusp of making an NJD kind of leap. CBJ is improved. The good teams are still good.
I'm pretty much with you on your reasoning, but I think Ilya Sorokin will be the reason the Islanders make the playoffs. Sorokin being just adequate should still keep the Islanders in games. WC2 is where we finish in the standings.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
This sounds like you could have wrote this the past 4-5 seasons, yet somehow this team makes the playoffs…

If the league goes all Buccicrap pond hockey, then OTT and BUF could make it, but the team with a top 3 goalie rarely misses the playoffs.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This sounds like you could have wrote this the past 4-5 seasons, yet somehow this team makes the playoffs…
Except when they didn’t make the playoffs. But yeah, the song remains the same when you keep running it back.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Except when they didn’t make the playoffs. But yeah, the song remains the same when you keep running it back.
They failed to make the playoffs once in the last 5 years. Almost 1/2 the roster is different (including key spots, not to mention the coach) from the one that missed two seasons ago.

The "running it back" narrative is perplexing.

Reactions: Big L and mm11

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Eye Test tells me they won't hit 90pts. Injuries will happen and the lack of depth is just not there. To be clear, I was optimistic when JT left because the same eye test when he wasn't in the lineup seemed to show a more cohesive group of players. That Eye test wasn't wrong but I really do hope this one is !!. The Isles are a tough team to watch (In terms of style) if we are not winning so I hope we win a lot more than we don't

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
One can argue that was an outlier or a statement on certain players. But, yes, they whiffed that season.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
One can argue that was an outlier or a statement on certain players. But, yes, they whiffed that season.
They whiffed that season. They made it with one loss to spare last season. Outlier or trend?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They failed to make the playoffs once in the last 5 years. Almost 1/2 the roster is different (including key spots, not to mention the coach) from the one that missed two seasons ago.

The "running it back" narrative is perplexing.
9 of 23 on the roster have been here over 8 years without winning anything. On a team that hasn’t made it to the SCF in 40 years That is perplexing.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
9 of 23 on the roster have been here over 8 years without winning anything. On a team that hasn’t made it to the SCF in 40 years That is perplexing.
"The 14 changes that have been made haven't been the changes that I want."

Would be the more accurate statement.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
OK. I'll play. Sure, that's what I meant. So why don't you?
Because I see a team trending in the wrong direction. Take a 5 year window from 2019-23, a range of performance that started strong, plateaued in 2021 and trended downwards since then. And as unfortunate as the circumstances that wrecked the 2022 season were, time didn’t stand still in the NHL but Lou gave that team another vote of confidence.

To me each season can be it’s own entity, but if you step back the larger picture is Lou committed to too many of the wrong players AND the wrong coach, when he had the opportunity to start tweaking the roster after the 2021 loss in the semifinals to get this team over the goal line. For whatever reason he was unsuccessful in getting that done.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Because I see a team trending in the wrong direction. Take a 5 year window from 2019-23, a range of performance that started strong, plateaued in 2021 and trended downwards since then. And as unfortunate as the circumstances that wrecked the 2022 season were, time didn’t stand still in the NHL but Lou gave that team another vote of confidence.

To me each season can be it’s own entity, but if you step back the larger picture is Lou committed to too many of the wrong players AND the wrong coach, when he had the opportunity to start tweaking the roster after the 2021 loss in the semifinals to get this team over the goal line. For whatever reason he was unsuccessful in getting that done.
Fair. I do think that Horvat (and Romanov, and to a lesser degree Engval) are solid tweaks that addressed big needs. And just because they weren't made at the deadline or during the offseason doesn't make them less valuable.

The Trotz to Lambert transition is one I do not understand either.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The Trotz to Lambert transition is one I do not understand either.
Of the three teams he coached, two had really old guys as GMs and the other already tossed him out, so he tossed out a trial balloon to the OWNERS of those two teams ‘hey, I’m here for your succession plannjng and I’d like to do this job.’

Lou said no. David said yes. Trotz is the GM of Nashville and Lou was extended. Barry got his $5M to sit home. Lambert got his $1M for his first coaching gig. Net of $6M one season, ‘saving’ $4M now.

They whiffed that season. They made it with one loss to spare last season. Outlier or trend?
I’ll say the isles comfortably make the playoffs this year.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
prediction
1. Isles finished 4th (10th overall in conference) in Metro and miss playoffs.
2. Isles (Lou) trade yet another 1st rounder at trade deadline.
3. Brazal tallies 85 points this year

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
prediction
IDK. If Barzal gets 85 points then I don't see your first prediction being correct, barring some bad run of injuries on the roster.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
prediction
Isles fandom will be more than joyous for #3, even more so than #1.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Isles fandom will be more than joyous for #3, even more so than #1.
You’ll be one of those considering if this happens it will be the main reason the Isles make the playoffs comfortably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad