2023 Training Camp: Hope Springs Eternal

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Is it true that Holmstrom does not have to go through waivers? I thought that after three professional seasons in the AHL/NHL, a player had to automatically go through waivers if he was demoted. What is the rule on this?...
He’s still on his ELC and under 100 games. IIRC that puts him in the exemption category. This would remind me of when they send Beau down his sophomore season to break him out of his slump.

Reactions: xIsle

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If Lou wanted to sneak Johnston through, wouldn't he have done this a day or two ago when lots of other players were waived? If Johnston gets claimed, especially by a Western Conference team (CHI?), I would wonder if it was arranged as a "solid" to Johnston. Or maybe a player is less likely to get claimed now because rosters are set? :huh:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If Lou wanted to sneak Johnston through, wouldn't he have done this a day or two ago when lots of other players were waived? If Johnston gets claimed, especially by a Western Conference team (CHI?), I would wonder if it was arranged as a "solid" to Johnston. Or maybe a player is less likely to get claimed now because rosters are set? :huh:
Or maybe Lou woke up from his nap two days later than expected.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Maybe he doesn’t care whether Johnston gets claimed or not. :dunno:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just a year or two ago, wasn't the idea around here that Martin was done and Johnston was the better player? Or is my recollection foggy?

I still think Johnston makes more sense than Martin does at this stage in his career. Martin, and that line as a whole, hasn't been the same for the past two seasons. They're noticeably slower, less physical, and aren't able to play at the pace required for them to be effective for long stretches. Johnston should've been given more of a role and the fourth line should've been disassembled a few years ago.

Most rosters are set now, who is going to shake that up because Ross Johnston has become available? Guess we'll see.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I agree about moving on from the 4th line. However, you think Johnston is an acceptable replacement for Martin? Martin is not good. However, Johnston simply isn't an NHL player. This is where the Isles shoot themselves in the foot: the 4th line can still be effective, but not over the course of 82 games. Maybe 50. If they had appropriate depth, they can spell guys like Martin and Clutterbuck over the course of the year to keep them "fresh" for the playoffs where their clutch, grab, and overall griminess is most valuable. But when you keep an AHL 4th liner on the team, you cannot do that as your already terrible 4th line is now unplayable against NHL talent.

I like when my teams don't waste roster spots. This organization is incredible at it.

I do not see any reason why Johnston cannot play 25-30 games per season while rotating Martin and Clutterbuck out.

Reactions: ekill08x

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
The MC2 line still means a ton to them, regardless of how they are aging.
I know. That's a big problem. Organizations can't be blind to aging and declining play. Lou's biggest flaw has been lack of objectivity regarding the players he adores. I love these guys too. They have given a lot to this organization. But they are no longer effective in the way they are being used. The Kraken showed that you can win with little to no star power with a roster full of above average forwards. The Isles have 3 such lines. The 4th is a black hole. Ignoring it won't make the problem go away. If the goal is to win the cup, you can't be sentimental about such things.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think I'd rather see Gauthier or Durandeau get the playing time.
Then that would really call for a revamping of the entire 4th line to get the most out of those guys. Sticking them with Cizikas and Clutter would be useless.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Then that would really call for a revamping of the entire 4th line to get the most out of those guys. Sticking them with Cizikas and Clutter would be useless.

So there's no other options there besides Johnston? There's always Fasching, I guess.

Martin and Clutter are UFA after this year anyway, so might as well start prepping other in-house players to take on their roles. If the inevitable injuries occur or they just can't do it night after night without a respite, there's got to be better options than Johnston (except in those very specific instances where we need him for the one thing he's good at).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So there's no other options there besides Johnston? There's always Fasching, I guess.

Martin and Clutter are UFA after this year anyway, so might as well start prepping other in-house players to take on their roles. If the inevitable injuries occur or they just can't do it night after night without a respite, there's got to be better options than Johnston (except in those very specific instances where we need him for the one thing he's good at).
I’ve been saying it since Lou resigned Martin after 2019 that he should have let MM walk and it was time to start rethinking the role and makeup of our 4th line, but Lou was never forward thinking enough to do that, nor did he ever want to let Ross Johnston be the in-house, paid for replacement for Martin. What a waste on 2 counts.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Havent really seen any of the preseason games. I guess Im not excited at all over the upcoming season. I havent seen any reason to think otherwise.

Little help here.. we are still a barely .500 team?

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Havent really seen any of the preseason games. I guess Im not excited at all over the upcoming season. I havent seen any reason to think otherwise.

Little help here.. we are still a barely .500 team?
Offense has looked better for the most part, at the expense of defense. Goalie play hasn’t been stellar, hopefully still shaking the cobwebs off. PP looked marginally better…good on zone entries but still no movement when we have the puck. We do look faster as well.

Should be in the mix again, but Devils and Canes are gonna be the class of the metro IMO.

Reactions: Bones45

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Isles were 17-9-4 with Horvat and Engvall, and that was largely without Barzal and with a shit powerplay. 17-9-4 translates to 103 points for 82 games, which is 10 more than last year.

This is the time of year to be optimistic – I think they'll be fine and probably surprise a few folks. I'm excited to watch this team.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
So weird that we don't play until Saturday when the season is starting tonight. Will be fun to see us "behind" in the standings and have to rely on games in hand.

Reactions: mm11

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
They'll be four points out on Friday night and I'm sure someone will blame organizational depth.
I know this is supposed to be a joke, but I’m fully prepared to see a post this Saturday morning while screaming for Lou to “DO SOMETHING!!!!”

Reactions: Throttle

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Odellius back to Sweden. Bummer. He at least wants to play in Bridgeport at the seasons end.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
So weird that we don't play until Saturday when the season is starting tonight. Will be fun to see us "behind" in the standings and have to rely on games in hand.
Just wait. The islanders play 37 games in December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad