2023 Season Discussion Thread

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Really need some advice fellas! I need to pick two keepers out of these three guys. The scoring is 0.5 PPR and everything else is "normal" (i.e. no 6 points for passing touchdowns type stuff).

Jalen Hurts - would count as an 8th rounder
Rhamondre Stevenson - would count as a 9th rounder
Calvin Ridley - would count as a 14th rounder

I am leaning towards Hurts and Ridley, but really torn.

Im a little skeptical on Ridley. He is doing good at camp but he is an older WR and hitting that 30 year ceiling mark next season. Stevenson has only 2 years of work on his body at 25. with the abundance of good WRs out there it could be better to hold on to Stevenson as he has at least another 3-4 solid seasons in him. He also had a whopping 88 targets last season. that will regress a bit this season but it does show that he is a valuable target for NE in the passing game. There is also less competition for targets for Stevnson as the only value targets on NE are Hunter Henry/Giesiki and JU-JU. Ridley will be competing against Kirk, Z.Jones, Engram and Etienne. I would expect Stevenson to lose some goal line work to Zeke though.

Just some food for thought. Im probably really over analyzing the situation but i would go Hurts Stevenson personally for the long run in keeper but that could totally be the wrong pick lol.

Reactions: DS7

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Im a little skeptical on Ridley. He is doing good at camp but he is an older WR and hitting that 30 year ceiling mark next season. Stevenson has only 2 years of work on his body at 25. with the abundance of good WRs out there it could be better to hold on to Stevenson as he has at least another 3-4 solid seasons in him. He also had a whopping 88 targets last season. that will regress a bit this season but it does show that he is a valuable target for NE in the passing game. There is also less competition for targets for Stevnson as the only value targets on NE are Hunter Henry/Giesiki and JU-JU. Ridley will be competing against Kirk, Z.Jones, Engram and Etienne. I would expect Stevenson to lose some goal line work to Zeke though.

Just some food for thought. Im probably really over analyzing the situation but i would go Hurts Stevenson personally for the long run in keeper but that could totally be the wrong pick lol.

Thank you so much for your analysis. If it makes it any easier, based on how our league works - I kept Stevenson last year so this is the last season I can keep him. Ridley, I can keep as a 14th rounder this season and then a 13th next year.

Reactions: DS7 and tacogeoff

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Had a very specific build in mind going into this year's draft and pulled it off. Now it's wait and see. Huge risk but the upside I think has potential.

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 DEF

10 Team half PPR, 9th pick

QB: Lamar Jackson, Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry, Khalil Herbert, Jaylen Warren, Tank Bigsby, Tyjae Spears
WR: Christian Watson, Drake London, Mike Williams, Zay Flowers, Jordan Addison
TE: Mark Andrews
DEF: Eagles

Reactions: tacogeoff

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

I have a similar feeling too. It reminds me of Deshaun Watson last year, I think he still needs a year to acclimate after not playing for two years. I personally have Ridley as a player to target next year.

On the other hand, 14th round is a tremendous value. Could be worth the dart throw for a potential WR1.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
got 12th pick in a half PPR league. Considering stacking up WRs and pray Dobbins/Gibbs/Pierce are my pick 3 and 4

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
I’m in a 12 team 3 keeper league. Keeping J. Jefferson & C. Kupp.
Should I keep Etienne or D. Pierce as my 3 rd keeper? 0.5 ppr

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Really need some advice fellas! I need to pick two keepers out of these three guys. The scoring is 0.5 PPR and everything else is "normal" (i.e. no 6 points for passing touchdowns type stuff).

Jalen Hurts - would count as an 8th rounder
Rhamondre Stevenson - would count as a 9th rounder
Calvin Ridley - would count as a 14th rounder

I am leaning towards Hurts and Ridley, but really torn.

Calvin Ridley is an easy keep imo for a 14th round pick. He’s definitely put in off-season time with Lawrence and looks like they have developed a good rapport. I wouldn’t be the least surprised if he leads the Jags in fantasy receiving points, finishing top 20 among WR.

Stevenson is also easily worth a 9th, also likely to finish top 20 in fantasy production. Elliott doesn’t appear to be a threat to turn it into a real shared duty situation.

I’d lean towards Stevenson having slightly more fantasy value than Ridley, but it’s close. If you had an idea of how many of the top tier WR’s and RB’s will be off the table in your league draft as keepers that might help you decide whether to prioritize keeping a RB vs a WR.

Reactions: Basement Cat

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
12 Team TD Only (no yards, no receptions, etc) league, where QBs get 6 points for throwing TDs.**

Drafted in slot #11

**This is very important for when to prioritize a QB, for example in my draft rankings the top 6 overall are QBs: Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Hurts, Herbert, Lawrence. It’s very difficult to win in this scoring system without elite production from your QB. TD Only scoring also means players like David Montgomery increase in value as I expect him to get most of the in between the tackle goalline carries for Detroit. Could easily see him finishing with more total TDs than Gibbs. Many years ago in this league I would take Brandon Jacobs with a late round pick to score 10+ goalline TDs, while Tiki Barber would be drafted early, racking up 1800 combined yards but only 4 TD, getting pulled for Jacobs at the goalline. Yeah. This is an old league we‘ve been running since the 1990’s.

roster
QB: Lawrence
RB: Chubb, Pacheco (or Montgomery)
WR: Ridley, G Davis, Lockett (or Lazard)
TE: Engram
K: Carlson
D: will be streaming D every week

bench:
QB: G Smith
RB: Montgomery, Perine, Gainwell
WR: Lazard, J Myers, Doubs
TE/K: no backups, will stream on bye weeks.

Overall happy with the roster. I am leaning a bit towards Lawrence outperforming his consensus fantasy projections. Not guaranteed to happen, but I feel Lawrence is one of the best candidates for upside pop in year three. I expect Ridley and Engram to both outperform most projections.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’m in a 12 team 3 keeper league. Keeping J. Jefferson & C. Kupp.
Should I keep Etienne or D. Pierce as my 3 rd keeper? 0.5 ppr

They‘re close in value, but I think Etienne holds a small edge over Pierce. Also, Etienne’s projected fantasy stats are probably more reliable, while there’s higher variance for Pierce playing in a system with a rookie QB.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
got 12th pick in a half PPR league. Considering stacking up WRs and pray Dobbins/Gibbs/Pierce are my pick 3 and 4
See my post earlier about my draft. I’d be very nervous about this. I think you’re right on about the best value at 12-13 but there are a lot of picks then before you are up again. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Had a very specific build in mind going into this year's draft and pulled it off. Now it's wait and see. Huge risk but the upside I think has potential.

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 DEF

10 Team half PPR, 9th pick

QB: Lamar Jackson, Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry, Khalil Herbert, Jaylen Warren, Tank Bigsby, Tyjae Spears
WR: Christian Watson, Drake London, Mike Williams, Zay Flowers, Jordan Addison
DEF: Eagles
Very interested in this strategy. I like the look of your team.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
See my post earlier about my draft. I’d be very nervous about this. I think you’re right on about the best value at 12-13 but there are a lot of picks then before you are up again. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I did some mocks earlier.

Ended up with Lamb/Adams pick 3-4 both Gibbs/Dobbins was there. I essentially need to hope for 1 at least to be there.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Very interested in this strategy. I like the look of your team.
Thanks! yeah trying a double hero RB approach with an eye for booming in the 2nd half.

Chubb/Henry have a fantastic playoff schedule (D. Henry vs HOU week 15+17, Chubb vs HOU 16)
Lamar Andrews Stack

Then target High upside Rookies and 2nd year WR 1s in the RB deadzone with Mike Williams as a potential every week boom/bust play.

Fingers crossed.

QUESTION: 2nd overall pick in a 14 team PPR, do you go Chase or CMC?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thanks! yeah trying a double hero RB approach with an eye for booming in the 2nd half.

Chubb/Henry have a fantastic playoff schedule (D. Henry vs HOU week 15+17, Chubb vs HOU 16)
Lamar Andrews Stack

Then target High upside Rookies and 2nd year WR 1s in the RB deadzone with Mike Williams as a potential every week boom/bust play.

Fingers crossed.

I think I go Chase. I admit I have a weird feeling (in a negative way) about Burrow and Chase this season, but I feel like it's much more dependable at 2OA.

• Love

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Lamar Andrews Stack

Fingers crossed.

FWIW, PPR my top 5 in order are: McCaffrey, Jefferson, Ekeler, Chase, Kelce.

Jefferson and Chase should actually outscore McCaffrey and Ekeler, But there's a larger gap between RB #2 and RB #3+ vs the gap between WR #2 and WR #3+. Same reason for having Kelce that high, there's a canyon between him and TE #2.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
FWIW, PPR my top 5 in order are: McCaffrey, Jefferson, Ekeler, Chase, Kelce.

Jefferson and Chase should actually outscore McCaffrey and Ekeler, But there's a larger gap between RB #2 and RB #3+ vs the gap between WR #2 and WR #3+. Same reason for having Kelce that high, there's a canyon between him and TE #2.
With Kelce, the other TEs are unknown.
Kittle - great blocker, so he loses touches to protect the QB
Waller - injury history and now with Jones. Still unknown. He's the guy I'd double in the pass game
Andrews - will he lose touches to OBJ and Flowers?

I'd see if I could grab Mayer from the Raiders if I could. Assuming Josh uses him like he would Gronk.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
With Kelce, the other TEs are unknown.
Kittle - great blocker, so he loses touches to protect the QB
Waller - injury history and now with Jones. Still unknown. He's the guy I'd double in the pass game
Andrews - will he lose touches to OBJ and Flowers?

I'd see if I could grab Mayer from the Raiders if I could. Assuming Josh uses him like he would Gronk.

I have Andrews 2nd in PPR. Several guys bunched up after that including Engram, Freiermuth, Goedert, Hockenson, Kittle and Waller.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
10 team PPR start 2 flex:

QB: Herbert
RB: Jacobs, Etienne, White, Kamara, Robinson Jr., J. Cook, Z. White
WR: Jefferson, D. Johnson, Sutton, R. Moore, Flowers, Collins
TE: Freiermuth
K: McPhereson
DST: Bills

16 team, weird scoring, leans standard start 1 RB, 1 WR, 2 FLEX. TE=WR:

QB: Wilson
RB: Ekeler, White, Kamara
WR/TE: Lamb, Waddle, D. Johnson, Hockenson, Pitts
K: Boswell
DST: Giants

-I have Dionte Johnson is every league so far. Not that I love him or am targeting him or anything but I just keeping getting him very late, like "why not." Everyone is on the Pickens hype train but Johnson is still solid.

-The first league I stacked RBs, not as a strategy, it was just how the board fell. People went WR early and often. And when I picked guys like BRJ, Kamara, Cook they were just so much better value than the WR available. I can always start 2 RB at flex or make a trade. Was already offered Mike Williams for Kamara, but I don't like to trade before the season starts.

-Kinda got stuck with Wilson, as I was the last to go QB and dudes were picking backups early. Hopefully he rebounds with Payton, or at least gives me like 15 a week and my good roster around him supplements him enough.

-Boswell and Giants I was basically autopicked. But it's a K and D can always easily replace them.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

-I have Dionte Johnson is every league so far. Not that I love him or am targeting him or anything but I just keeping getting him very late, like "why not." Everyone is on the Pickens hype train but Johnson is still solid.

-The first league I stacked RBs, not as a strategy, it was just how the board fell. People went WR early and often. And when I picked guys like BRJ, Kamara, Cook they were just so much better value than the WR available. I can always start 2 RB at flex or make a trade. Was already offered Mike Williams for Kamara, but I don't like to trade before the season starts.

-Kinda got stuck with Wilson, as I was the last to go QB and dudes were picking backups early. Hopefully he rebounds with Payton, or at least gives me like 15 a week and my good roster around him supplements him enough.

-Boswell and Giants I was basically autopicked. But it's a K and D can always easily replace them.
I would bet a lot of money on Johnson outscoring Pickens in PPR.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
16 team .5 ppr

QB: Fields, Murray
RB: Chubb, Mostert, Elijah Mitchell, Tank Bigsby, Kareem Hunt, Zach Moss
WR: Olave, Mile Williams, Jordan Attison, Jahan Dotson, Romeo Doubs

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
My garbage team.
10 team ,5 bench players .
Got Jax D for week 1.
Screenshot_20230901_183454_Yahoo Fantasy.jpg
Screenshot_20230901_183508_Yahoo Fantasy.jpg

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
My garbage team.
Got Jax D for week 1.
View attachment 740395View attachment 740396
A little rough in the WR department but overall not bad. I think you could probably drop Dak and one defense to pick up some flyers at WR. is Nico Collins available? he should be Houstons 1WR and see alot of volume as they will be playing from behind quite a bit. Pickens could have a good season though but i would worry about Davis being inconsistent and Williams with his injury history.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Just finished my draft 12 teams half ppr league, had the 5th overall :

QB : Prescott
RB : Bijan Robinson, Rhamondre Stevenson
WR : AJ Brown, Keenan Allen
TE : Evan Engram
FLEX : Rachaad White/ Brandon Aiyuk
K : Bass
DEF : Jacksonville (will stream)

BENCH : Aiyuk/White, Juju Smith-Schuster, Raheem Mostert, Dont'a Foreman, Marvin Mims Jr

Happy with my RB WR FLEX overall but got caught with my QB I got Lawrence Burrow Fields taken in my face and also Kittle and Hockenson. I really don't like my bench

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

Team 1:
Great RB core with the WRs, I'm a bit concerned with Jacob repeating his season as it's rare for the RB that led in touches to repeat, but you got Jefferson so you don't really need Jacobs to be the RB1 again. I like Diontae as a PPR play, and good mixture of breakouts/#1s on weak teams for volume. Good balance

Team 2:
I'm in a 14 team so I can't even imagine how crazy the depth issue is at a 16 team league. I'm wondering if it's worth getting TEs in this format when you can just stack WRs, but 16 team everyone is probably thinking the same thing so the elite TEs drop.

If this was full PPR i'd feel better about the team, but that is what you get in a 16 team. be interesting to see how this goes.

16 team .5 ppr

QB: Fields, Murray
RB: Chubb, Mostert, Elijah Mitchell, Tank Bigsby, Kareem Hunt, Zach Moss
WR: Olave, Mile Williams, Jordan Attison, Jahan Dotson, Romeo Doubs

This is pretty strong even for a 12-14 team. I love it for a 16. Looks like you dodged the RB deadzone after you got Chubb and Andrews just stacked the breakout candidates at WR and RB. I'm hoping Mike Williams has a renaissance under the Moore system. The fact you got Fields is icing on the cake. He's basically your pseudo RB2.
My garbage team.
Got Jax D for week 1.
View attachment 740395View attachment 740396
I'm very out on Kittle this year, so may be worth looking at the wire for some potential breakout TEs like Musgrave, Laporta, Juwan Johnson.

In a 10 team league, I don't think it's worth it to bench two defenses. At least not until near the end of the year.

WRs could use some improvement as Taco said. Aside from Nico Collins as suggested, I'd also pay attention to Tank Dell see if he makes the team, he could be a good sleeper on that offense. is Marvin Mims still on the waiver? He could be the #2 in Denver right now.
Just finished my draft 12 teams half ppr league, had the 5th overall :

QB : Prescott
RB : Bijan Robinson, Rhamondre Stevenson
WR : AJ Brown, Keenan Allen
TE : Evan Engram
FLEX : Rachaad White/ Brandon Aiyuk
K : Bass
DEF : Jacksonville (will stream)

BENCH : Aiyuk/White, Juju Smith-Schuster, Raheem Mostert, Dont'a Foreman, Marvin Mims Jr

Happy with my RB WR FLEX overall but got caught with my QB I got Lawrence Burrow Fields taken in my face and also Kittle and Hockenson. I really don't like my bench

Great team, can't wait to see what Bijan does this year. I'm almost thinking crazy pills and considering him over CMC. Any TEs on the wire? I'm not sold on D'onta Foreman as the backup in Chicago but if the RB depth is so bad on the wire, I get it.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
This is pretty strong even for a 12-14 team. I love it for a 16. Looks like you dodged the RB deadzone after you got Chubb and Andrews just stacked the breakout candidates at WR and RB. I'm hoping Mike Williams has a renaissance under the Moore system. The fact you got Fields is icing on the cake. He's basically your pseudo RB2.

Thanks for the reply, in a 16 team league you HAVE to have a hole somewhere, usually two, and I got a little lucky that Wilson went on the IR in Miami after my draft, to allow Mostert to momentarily plug that hole. I love Mike Williams, hes a beast when healthy and I think the Herbert is gonna have a big year

I got Fields in the 4th round, which was pick freaking 60, If you try to get cute/wait on QB, which has been my strategy since I started playing, you can get in a dire situation real fast cause there was, believe it or not, 31 QB's drafted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad