GDT: 2023 Running Preseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Not buying it, I think he's a net negative on the ice. Not sure what the stats show but seems to me he hurts his team more than he helps it. He skates well, he has good puck handling skills and no hockey sense or hockey IQ.n I would rather have less skilled hard working player who isn't a turnover machine.

Just looking at stats (past two seasons combined, min 1000 TOI 5v5), he is about average in possession metrics but only behind Laine in GF/GA. OTOH he has almost 70% of his starts in the O-zone which is a lot.

IMO he's a lot better player than you'd think reading the boards, he's talked about like he's the team's biggest problem, but despite his "issues" he has some very good skills that somewhat make up for it, but a bit difficult to see where he fits in currently. Coming to CBJ and getting to play C he looked a way better player than the one I saw as a wing in Jets, but his game hasn't progressed enough from that.

I guess Vincent must know him really well all the way back from AHL so interesting to see what he does with Roslovic.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
For sure, we'll see when the hard checking starts.

I'm just pushing back on the idea that this has been a difficult transition in pre-season for Patty. He had a very very good pre-season run at center and played better than he normally did at wing.

Adding the two games he played at center last season, he has a pretty insane statline as a C at the moment :) I didn't watch the preseason games so all I have is the stats to go by. I'd imagine he had the wick turned up a bit higher than most vets in the preseason since he was trying to prove himself in a new position. But he can afford to fall back to earth a bit and still be good, so it's looking pretty promising.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Just looking at stats (past two seasons combined, min 1000 TOI 5v5), he is about average in possession metrics but only behind Laine in GF/GA. OTOH he has almost 70% of his starts in the O-zone which is a lot.

IMO he's a lot better player than you'd think reading the boards, he's talked about like he's the team's biggest problem, but despite his "issues" he has some very good skills that somewhat make up for it, but a bit difficult to see where he fits in currently. Coming to CBJ and getting to play C he looked a way better player than the one I saw as a wing in Jets, but his game hasn't progressed enough from that.

I guess Vincent must know him really well all the way back from AHL so interesting to see what he does with Roslovic.
Well, if the metrics aren't terrible, hopefully some GM is willing to give us something of value for such a gem of a player.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

I kinda suspect the progression wasnt related to playing center. Just general maturing and a bigger role. I wouldn't mind seeing him back on wing for what I assume will be his last season here

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I kinda suspect the progression wasnt related to playing center. Just general maturing and a bigger role. I wouldn't mind seeing him back on wing for what I assume will be his last season here
Edit: Oh no! I only now realized that you were discussing about Roslovic, wasn’t it? The center vs winger commenting somehow messed me up. Sorry, but what I now wrote about Laine is still anyway valid, but right now kind of out of context, so sorry for that.

(My comment about Laine as a center)

I in fact don’t believe at all that he has developed suddenly as a player. Such changes don’t happen in one summer. They just don’t. Especially at his age already. The bigger sudden changes can happen exactly through a bigger role change or through drastic linemate and ice-time changes. But Laine has been playing really well with any linemates as a center and with similar ice-time that he has had as a winger. So I really see it that it has to do specifically with the position change.

Offensively the center role does really seem to fit him. He is a great passer and he has also great vision and very good hockey IQ, which are all very important qualities for a center to do well offensively. As a center he can much better control the game and have the puck more, which seems to be important for him to get well into the game. But he can also pass the puck quickly when needed, and as a center he will have more often both directions open for the passing lanes which should make him do even more of the well timed passing that he at best is capable of doing.

As a center he will also not need to do as much of deep forechecking, which has kind of been his weak spot because of the difficulties in his stop and go skating. As a center you can concentrate more in blocking the central areas on the ice and don’t have to be in the same way doing the constant stop and go skating (that will always be Laine’s biggest weakness) as you would have to do as a winger.

Exactly the understanding of the defensive positioning itself has never been the weak spot defensively for Laine in my opinion, but he has played himself still quite easily defensively to a worse position through his lackluster stop and go skating in forechecking because of his difficulties to turn quickly in high speeds. He has also been more prone to tire himself because of this problem.

I really believe that there might be clearly bigger strengths in his game that support playing as a center than as a winger. But the clear weaknesses as a center would at least so far be weak face-offs, playing in front of each goals physically and also how well he will be able to cope with hard forechecking and checking when he has the puck, which has been kind of problematic for him as a winger as well. It will be interesting to see how it goes anyway.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

I dunno, he was stuck in a small role in the Jets but the times he got 2nd line minutes with some good players, he really didn't get much done. My impression of him after the trade was a lot of it was really about having the puck way more on his stick as a center, but I'm sure the general boost from the trade and getting a new opportunity helped a lot. But that's a few years ago already, hopefully he could be more effective as a winger now, I could see him being quite useful as a scoring winger in a middle-6 role.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Which means someone who's a worse GM than Jarmo will pay him $5x5
CBJ could do way worse with someone else than Jarmo at the helm. It hasn’t been the sexiest destination for players around the league, but that might be changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad