Prospect Info: 2023 Rookie Faceoff @ Vegas 9/15-18

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Bordeleau will get the headlines, but our defense looked real good. Knights didn't get a whole lot going 5 on 5.
Agreed. Mukh was super impressive. He’s a smooth skater that is very mobile for a big guy. Also likes to free wheel in the O zone. He’s going to be a player. I thought his pairing with Guryev was very solid.

Furlong and Frisch also looked good. Furlong is a bit slow from my perspective. Frisch was my favorite after Mukh.

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
Muk makes the simple plays. Doesn’t over compliment things. Plays with solid positioning. Chrona was impressive. Bords was on another level. Overall a dominant performance and we didn’t even have Eklund or Guschin. Good to see.
It's hard to judge these Rookie Faceoff competitions. While we are happy to see anytime the Sharks win, but keep in mind the Sharks opponents are not all on equal footing. One team might have many AHLers and rookies while another team has mostly rookies. We don't even how far along the other team development of their rookies. Who would best farm team out of all these teams: ANA, COL, LAK, ARI, or SJS. Then on a given night where their best players might be sitting. So how do you judge these competitions?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
It's hard to judge these Rookie Faceoff competitions. While we are happy to see anytime the Sharks win, but keep in mind the Sharks opponents are not all on equal footing. One team might have many AHLers and rookies while another team has mostly rookies. We don't even how far along the other team development of their rookies. Who would best farm team out of all these teams: ANA, COL, LAK, ARI, or SJS. Then on a given night where their best players might be sitting. So how do you judge these competitions?
I mainly watch individual players. The result doesnt matter to me as much as how certain guys play. If they’re making the plays I like to see, more than likely they are contributing to a win. Some guys look rough and over matched. Some guys look way better than the other teams guys who are in the same age group and draft year.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Uh, nah. I got a couple more years of hoping the Sharks tank their way into a top pick once the seasons start for real.

It is fun to watch them win, when it's not adversely affecting their draft lotto odds. Hopefully pre-season games are televised. Two maybe three more years. It's like wearing this brace for my thumb, sure, right now it totally sucks. But, once healed I'll be better for going through it. Sharks will be better for going through this tank. Half-assing it is only going to make things worse.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Uh, nah. I got a couple more years of hoping the Sharks tank their way into a top pick once the seasons start for real.

It is fun to watch them win, when it's not adversely affecting their draft lotto odds. Hopefully pre-season games are televised. Two maybe three more years. It's like wearing this brace for my thumb, sure, right now it totally sucks. But, once healed I'll be better for going through it. Sharks will be better for going through this tank. Half-assing it is only going to make things worse.

What if for some reason things just click this season, everything goes perfectly and they have a Vegas-in-their-first-season type of run. The rookies take a huge step and the vets reclaim their youth… let’s say they get into the 2nd of the playoffs and then who knows.

Are you happy or bummed out?

Reactions: mogambomoroo

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
What if for some reason things just click this season, everything goes perfectly and they have a Vegas-in-their-first-season type of run. The rookies take a huge step and the vets reclaim their youth… let’s say they get into the 2nd of the playoffs and then who knows.

Personally I would be happy because IT means that the players we have work out together, especially young ones. And that's with Will Smith, Bystedt and Musty coming season after that.

Reactions: landshark

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry xmas...

I guess I'd enjoy the ride. Vegas won the division their first year. Sure, Sharks win the Pacific I'd totally be happy. I buy lotto tix but I don't expect to win. I'd be happy winning, but it's not my expectation.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Robins and Cardwell have a lot of versatility to their games that I think they're going to be serviceable guys down the lineup eventually.

Musty sometimes looks a bit disengaged, but he has a ton of skill.

Coe has not impressed IMO. Too weak on the boards still.

Laroque I think should be playing in the AHL. Maybe you could argue that one more WHL year wouldn't kill him because of his injuries, but I think he'd learn more from the speed of pro hockey. He's smart and simple, just like he was before the injuries.

Muk has been my standout I think. He's not putting up points, but his rushes, passes, defensive plays and ability to protect the puck are fantastic. Really like his odds of pushing into the Sharks lineup sometime this year.

Gush has been fine but trying to do too much.

Eks and Bords were good when they played as well, although Bords first game was meh.

Romanov seemed comfortable, quick, big. I like him.

Just some general thoughts from the games. I watched minimal of game #2 other than highlights and the first couple minutes.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Coe has not impressed IMO. Too weak on the boards still.

I'm not going to be shocked if Coe winds up a healthy scratch for the Cuda at times this season.

He seemed like he was trying to get noticed Saturday night with some fancy passes and I'm hoping the fact that he's running out of time here (he's an RFA after the season) gets him to show a little more urgency. He was easily the most disappointing member of the Cuda last season for me, especially because that wasn't even his first stint in the AHL.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Well until they fix the video feed, Musty has looked amped up and shooting from everywhere. I have liked Cagnoni and Mukhamadullin, they can move the puck and also make a good first pass. Halttunen has had good opportunities. It has been fun match so far, I really Musty gets couple of goals for confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad