GDT: 2023 Rookie Faceoff Challenge - Las Vegas - September 15-18

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Lutz got better as the game went on. He really hurt Geekie’s game early. Lutz was wandering like a tourist. Never in the right spot. Eventually he figured it out and got better. Unfortunately it was around the time Geekie seemed to run out of steam. These two were not synced.

Reactions: Summer Rose

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Doan. He’s continuing his development. When I watched him in Tucson last year, the speed didn’t seem to bother him but it was the details. He won every board battle and put himself in a position to make the right play. That continued today. Don’t think he’ll be an electric player, but I do believe Doan can be an NHL player. He just does so many things right.

Cooley. The hype is real, but imo he holds onto the puck too long. It’s fun and flashy against 18-20 year olds, but I’m afraid if he doesn’t adjust he’s gonna have a rough few weeks in the NHL. Still, electric player. Nasty edge to him too. Several times he would whack a guy behind the play. Loved him. Absolutely stoked to have a player with this much flash wear an AZ jersey.

Guenther. Surprisingly involved in all three zone. Great back checking all night long. Had some solid offensive looks. It’s nice to see a player wearing a Coyotes jersey that throws everything on net.

Geekie. This was a player who was focused all game. The on/off switch was switched on today. Didn’t have a ton of offensive looks but when the puck was in the offensive zone, he made the right play every time. Solid defensively. If he has this level of consistency I don’t see how he isn’t a regular NHL player. He did seem gassed a lot though. First game back from summer, but fitness could be an issue here.

Lamoreaux. Honestly? Not impressed. Every time he was in the defensive zone he always found a way to fall down. Probably needs more strength. He was arguably the tallest guy out there. He does make solid outlet passes. Doesn’t force much. Not saying he played bad, but was outshined by my favorite player of the night. Which was;

Szuber. I absolutely loved everything about this player. Played heavy. Big guy. Moved great for a big guy. Made great passes and plays all night. Hopefully he plays tomorrow. I want to watch him more. He was on the ice for two.

Goldsmith. If this guy becomes good at hockey we might like this player. Haha.

Lombardi. Keep an eye out on this kid. He did a ton of good things tonight and stood out more than the other guys who likely don’t stand a chance. Had a great first two periods. Not entirely sure he played at all in the third though. Hahaha

Langlois - oof. Rough outing for this kid. He did not look ready for this game. Seems like the type of player who forgets how to play once it passes the red line and goes to our defensive zone.

Lutz: I liked this player a lot. He just seemed to do everything right. Made the right move and right play every time he had the puck. Hard to forecast where he ends up, but he looked more ready than most guys who aren’t high profile.
Stoked for Cooley, Doan and Guenther. Szuber is going to be an absolute STUD.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Lamoreaux. Honestly? Not impressed. Every time he was in the defensive zone he always found a way to fall down. Probably needs more strength. He was arguably the tallest guy out there. He does make solid outlet passes. Doesn’t force much. Not saying he played bad, but was outshined by my favorite player of the night. Which was;
Exactly how he looked at prospects camp. He needs to fill out that frame. He plays clumsy and falls a lot, but passes and skates very well. He's always talking to the coaches and asking questions. He's a student. I'm not worried about him but he's at least 25 lbs and a few years away. Another year in the Q and probably two in Tucson.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They need to kick someone off that plane and give Josh Doan a seat. He’s earned it.
After one period you decide this? Who exactly does Doan deserve to replace? Doan has proven nothing as of yet. This is a nothing tournament with kids playing against their peers. I know you are excited, as most on this board are, about our prospects, but let's cool our jets and see what happens in training camp when kids play against men.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just a horrible waste of development time. Too many flight hours and it will impact at least the first two days after they return.
Let's get real shall we. What is the trip like ten days two weeks or something like that, and they play a few games in between. It won't hurt their development one iota.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Let's get real shall we. What is the trip like ten days two weeks or something like that, and they play a few games in between. It won't hurt their development one iota.
Exactly...plus it gets the team away for a trip and they can bond in Australia...I think it will absolutely work out for the best for the group

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exactly...plus it gets the team away for a trip and they can bond in Australia...I think it will absolutely work out for the best for the group
In all honestly, I don't think it does anything for the team, good or bad. It's "an experience" that happens once or twice in a players lifetime. They mentioned that they will have time to do other things besides hockey when there. We the wives/girlfriends allowed on this trip?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
In all honestly, I don't think it does anything for the team, good or bad. It's "an experience" that happens once or twice in a players lifetime. They mentioned that they will have time to do other things besides hockey when there. We the wives/girlfriends allowed on this trip?
Crouse said that wives/girlfriends were not allowed. Full on team building trip…

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
After one period you decide this? Who exactly does Doan deserve to replace? Doan has proven nothing as of yet. This is a nothing tournament with kids playing against their peers. I know you are excited, as most on this board are, about our prospects, but let's cool our jets and see what happens in training camp when kids play against men.
Doan was great in the several games I watched him play in Tucson. I wouldn’t say he hasn’t done anything to earn it. I thought he played a better game than Guenther.

Hard to see what he brings looking at stats. The kids a stud in all three zones. You might be surprised how far along he is.

He still needs time, not saying he’s ready today, but he’s getting there.

Anyways, I’m here in the rink. Gonna try to watch some other kids. Don’t know a ton of names so I’ll probably just label them by numbers today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad