• Adam Wilsby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Vote for the best prospect (with whatever reasoning you want) from the above poll.

Rankings:

1. Yaroslav Askarov (G, 11OA 2020 Draft)
2. Joakim Kemell (RW, 17OA 2022 Draft)
3. Matthew Wood (LW/C, 15OA 2023 Draft)

Feel like this should be an interesting one between the NHL ready young guys (Parsinnen, Evangelista, and Tomasino). I think all will be solid players for us, but Parsinnen has the best all around game so went with him.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I also went with Parssinen. Just what I saw last year, it seems like his "floor" is already so good? Let's say he never really gets much better, he's still, what... something like a heavy 40-pt center who makes the players around him better? I think that's a very valuable player. And that's the "worst case"?

His main competition for me was Evangelista, who was dynamite after his recall. But let's say things don't go so great for him moving forward, say he tops out as sort of a smaller 50-60 pt 2nd line offensive sparkplug. That's still a good player. But I think Parssinen's floor is still better than this, even if the points are lower.

Whereas I see their "ceilings" as similar.

What I really hope to see in the coming season is Tomasino and Svechkov inserting themselves into this conversation too. It's entirely possible they deserve to be in this spot, but after what we saw from Parssinen and Evangelista last season, and considering how Tomasino seemed to be a little disrupted by his handling and how little we know about Svechkov, I have a little separation between those two pairs of players atm.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I also went with Parssinen. Just what I saw last year, it seems like his "floor" is already so good? Let's say he never really gets much better, he's still, what... something like a heavy 40-pt center who makes the players around him better? I think that's a very valuable player. And that's the "worst case"?

His main competition for me was Evangelista, who was dynamite after his recall. But let's say things don't go so great for him moving forward, say he tops out as sort of a smaller 50-60 pt 2nd line offensive sparkplug. That's still a good player. But I think Parssinen's floor is still better than this, even if the points are lower.

Whereas I see their "ceilings" as similar.

What I really hope to see in the coming season is Tomasino and Svechkov inserting themselves into this conversation too. It's entirely possible they deserve to be in this spot, but after what we saw from Parssinen and Evangelista last season, and considering how Tomasino seemed to be a little disrupted by his handling and how little we know about Svechkov, I have a little separation between those two pairs of players atm.
The thing Tomasino has going for him is that he has the largest NHL sample size of any of the propsects (in fact one could argue >100GP makes him not even a prospect anymore). I still think I rank him 3rd just because he lacks some of the intangibles I see in Juuso/Evangelista, but I could really go any way. I'm really interested to see Tomasino playing in the speed based system I expect we see from Brunette.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I voted Luke but honestly didn't realize Parsnips was even on the list. I consider him graduated as there is basically zero chance he goes back to Milwaukee

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I voted Luke but honestly didn't realize Parsnips was even on the list. I consider him graduated as there is basically zero chance he goes back to Milwaukee
Frankly until you play a full season in the NHL I still consider them a prospect. He's probably on that borderline but due to the injury I think he still qualifies.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
i think im going svechkov over tomasino at 6… Tomasino is mid
At a certain point, it's feels like you are picking against Tomasino just to prove a point that you don't like him. What have you actually seen from Svechkov in any capacity that makes him a top 6 prospect in this group? His number's were pretty pedestrian, but I admittedly had a hard time finding much to watch on him or even any info. He was mostly just a low use, nothing going on KHL guy.

I'm certainly not the biggest Tomasino guy, but I do see raw ability and potential still.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The thing Tomasino has going for him is that he has the largest NHL sample size of any of the propsects (in fact one could argue >100GP makes him not even a prospect anymore). I still think I rank him 3rd just because he lacks some of the intangibles I see in Juuso/Evangelista, but I could really go any way. I'm really interested to see Tomasino playing in the speed based system I expect we see from Brunette.
My position identically.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I’m gonna be blown away if Parsinen gets ranked above Tomasino. I just don’t get it. Tomasino has more potential, I love Parssinen but wow, I feel like he may be a bit overhyped here.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I’m gonna be blown away if Parsinen gets ranked above Tomasino. I just don’t get it. Tomasino has more potential, I love Parssinen but wow, I feel like he may be a bit overhyped here.
Based on how I saw both play last season, I'd say him being ranked higher is dead on. Tomasino is going to need to find his game or he is going to be sliding into " change of scenery trade " territory pretty quickly.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Tomasino is going to need to find his game or he is going to be sliding into " change of scenery trade " territory pretty quickly.
This seems kind of crazy to me. Like Tomasino definitely has stuff to work on, but I don't see us being anywhere close to needing to consider giving up on him.

Reactions: maplepred

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This seems kind of crazy to me. Like Tomasino definitely has stuff to work on, but I don't see us being anywhere close to needing to consider giving up on him.
I just can't accept any rigid evaluation of Tomasino based on last season's bizarre Hynes-affected issues. I wouldn't subscribe to a solid opinion on Tomasino in either direction. I know he also struggled out of the gate in the AHL playoffs with Milwaukee. But that's still a very small sample in a bizarre season to me. He just looked so good the year before. It would suck so massively if he was somehow "destroyed" by last season. I can't buy that. I am just going to be hopeful that next season is a major coming out party for him, until on-ice evidence proves otherwise.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I just can't accept any rigid evaluation of Tomasino based on last season's bizarre Hynes-affected issues. I wouldn't subscribe to a solid opinion on Tomasino in either direction. I know he also struggled out of the gate in the AHL playoffs with Milwaukee. But that's still a very small sample in a bizarre season to me. He just looked so good the year before. It would suck so massively if he was somehow "destroyed" by last season. I can't buy that. I am just going to be hopeful that next season is a major coming out party for him, until on-ice evidence proves otherwise.
The fact remains after last season he's going to need to improve or he is going to get passed pretty quickly by guys beneath him. He can't afford another season like the last.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I said quickly, not right this minute. He has definitely back slid though, last season was not a good one for him.
I guess I just disagree that last season wasn't a good one for him. Less of a step then I hoped but I think the coaching mismanagement is partially responsible for that. Next season will be important for him but I don't think it is necessarily make or break unless he is truly bad.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The fact remains after last season he's going to need to improve or he is going to get passed pretty quickly by guys beneath him. He can't afford another season like the last.
Where we have no idea... zero idea... how much of last season was "Tomasino" vs "Hynes". Sure, if next season is a bit iffy, it's "Tomasino". But I just won't sign up to any predictions on that front at all, because I KNOW FOR A FACT that Hynes was abysmal. Correspondingly, I don't have a clue if Tomasino has issues or not. For me, it's a clean slate for Tomasino in 2023-24. Make of it what he will.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Where we have no idea... zero idea... how much of last season was "Tomasino" vs "Hynes". Sure, if next season is a bit iffy, it's "Tomasino". But I just won't sign up to any predictions on that front at all, because I KNOW FOR A FACT that Hynes was abysmal. Correspondingly, I don't have a clue if Tomasino has issues or not. For me, it's a clean slate for Tomasino in 2023-24. Make of it what he will.
Sure it is, just like it is for anyone on the team last season, but have another meh season and suddenly it's not Hynes anymore, he will be in that category of not developing the way we thought he would.

He's no different than Tolvanen in that regard, but we will see if he starts playing a bit more like expected now that Hynes is gone. Players and fans alike are only going to be able to blame him for so long.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sure it is, just like it is for anyone on the team last season, but have another meh season and suddenly it's not Hynes anymore, he will be in that category of not developing the way we thought he would.
For more than 50% of prospects, this is the way it goes. But until you see the games play out, I tend to tip more to the "optimistic" side as a fan. Probably half the guys we list in our top-10 prospects, even while we love them today and hope for great things, will never pan out.

This might be even more true for the guys we have ranked #1-3 in this poll than for the guys ranked #4-6 who have already played in the NHL! :oops:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Tomasino came into camp looking like trash last year, that has nothing to do with the coaching staff. He needs to prove he has the "want" to be in the NHL and not just rely on draft status.

I hope he does, I hope he comes in this fall and proves he learned that last summer wasn't good enough and becomes the star we thought we had. It's all on him though and he no longer has the excuse of coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad