League News: 2023 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Around the best I could see shaking loose on the trade market is a Schmaltz or Reinhart.
Anthony Duclair could be a guy that I'd be interested in poking around in the off-season. Although Florida will likely view themselves as another team trying to get back into contention. But after his injured season, I could see him as a potential trade candidate.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Trade Wilson

KindLargeIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Why?

Is it, I'd rather watch him play on a very mediocre or worse Caps team than rebuild kinda thing?

Not trying to be argumentative, if its just a case of wanting to enjoy watching your team, even though your team is irrelevant, I half get it.

I just don't really understand why people would prefer this, its like Boulez fans who wanted to keep Beal and not trade him after Wall fell out of the shower in '19 and destroyed his career. The second Wall fell out of the shower that version of the Wizards was done as a competitive entity. They'd never win ---- w/o a full tear down. Some just wanted to watch Beal, and didnt care about contending. I don't understand that thinking but maybe it's just me.

For me, we're either contending like 2008-2018, or we're not and we should be rebuilding, I dont really understand the point of being fine with flirting with the underside or top side of .500 forever.

That's basically been the redskins since 1993, nearly always between a .375-.500 or so record NEVER relevant EVER.

Do you guys actually think we can contend (I 1000% do not), or do you just want to enjoy watching the team play fairly poor to middling hockey instead? Is going back to 2003-2007 just untenable? I just don't get this perspective and never have.

Nats are doing what I want, and I'm very happy about it, Redskins/WFT never do and I'm not, Boulez never do and I'm not, Caps had their run ('07-'18 and then a slow decline) and I'd just much rather have blown it up and started the rebuild in 2019 or 2020 or 2021 instead of 2024-2025. It's just such a waste to throw a half decade down the toilet to me. We could have gotten the rebuild started years ago, doing this just delays it far, far longer.

Can't believe I have to explain this, but I'll try. Most everyone we traded has a future value to this team of almost nothing - because they were a UFA who was not in the plans (Eller) or who was not willing to re-sign for what we offered (Orlov). With the exception of Orlov, everyone we traded was essentially, easily replaceable with similar impact, at lower cap hits. We can find another Hathaway and another Eller (Strome?) For swapping out Orlov for Sandin, we got a player back at a cheaper rate who has similar overall upside/impact, but who is younger and cheaper. So all those trades were made with the idea that, this isn't a total rebuild, its a retool on the fly sort of thing. For better or worse, this is the hand that BMac is forced to play - largely because Ted made a commitment to Ovi not to blow it completely up while he's still competitive for 895. So the idea was generally to keep players who have long term value that would exceed their short term return. Lets say we traded Kuzy (everyone wants that), the return would likely NOT be a player who makes a better impact today, it would likely have been picks/prospects who would take several years to make any impact, leaving a massive hole to fill, thus the team gets significantly worse now. Trading out the core players who have term signals that we just don't care about next year, we are "rebuilding" and it will be several years before we see any benefit from the trades. That simply wasn't going to happen, yet.

With regards to Wilson, he's simply irreplaceable in terms of his impact vs age and term and cost. Sure, he might fetch 2 1sts and a prospect... but no one who wants WIlson will send us back a player who fills the hole he leaves behind. So sending Wilson out for a haul is a clear sign that we are fully rebuilding and everyone is going. The simple fact is that even during a full rebuild, a small chunk of core players stay around because they are so valuable that its nearly impossible to replace them with picks or prospects. Wilson is the only guy not named Ovi for who that applies.

I'd be sad to see Oshie go, but I know his runway to help this team is essentially finished so I'd be OK if he was dealt. I'd be fine with moving on from Backstrom, or Carlson, because they are overpriced for what they deliver. Whatever they fetch will provide more value tomorrow one way or another (immediate help, high picks, or contributing prospects at greatly reduced salary. Those players leaving would not create a hole that is unfillable. Tom Wilson is not in that category. He should be here, wearing the C, when the rebuild starts in earnest.

Lets all face it, as long as Ovi is here we're not blowing it all up, we're just going to tinker and try to balance his chase with being competitive. We may not like it, but we have to face it, that's where we are. Ovi and WIlson are the only players who are untouchable because they are irreplaceable.

So the long answer is, no I don't think we can contend like this, but we can be entertaining and give Ovi a shot at 895. We haven't been a contender since 2018 and that was, apparently, just a f***ing fluke anyway.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This is the bit I don't get though. Nothings happening next year. They aren't contending for anything, they haven't been contenders since 2019. I get why you have to keep some veterans around but the whole point of a rebuild is to rebuild for a new generation. Wilson will be long retired when this team is as legit a contender as it was 2008-2018. There is literally no reasons to keep him around other than to sell tickets, and ruin the tank and rebuild, which, if you just want to be a borderline 8 seed and out immediately in the playoffs in a good year, is something I suppose, but I've always been a "You're contending, or you're building back towards being relevant with regards to contending". And the latter definitely seems like what we should've been doing for years.

I will concede, I dont think the FO will do that. W/what Leonsis has been doing with the Boulez, and Caps the past five years, it's pretty obvious he doesn't care to rebuild properly, he just wants to sell tickets and market the team effectively, but there's a right way to do this, and there's a way to pretend you matter in the NHL landscape when you clearly do not.

If the offers aren't good enough, I can see why you keep him around, maybe for Ovy's sake, and to keep Ovy's trade value worthwhile for when we deal him (maybe) but if you get a reasonable offer, he should be out the door before you can even have second thoughts (to me anyway).
Because you still need winners and tone setters. Wilson can do anything on the ice and play whatever game and lead by example, same way Oshie did/has.

Caps don’t do themselves favors when they clear all those guys, they become Anaheim. Or the Redskins, as you’ve put it, letting guys like Chase Young start counting their chickens before putting the real work in.

Every single veteran player isn’t that but you should isolate and keep some, and Wilson has been one for the Caps for some time now. They aren’t cooked enough to go that scorched earth yet

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I mean, we could easily become the Red Wings after Ovechkin, who seem to have been rebuilding for 15 some years now
The Red Wings playoff streak lasted until 2017, so while the past 6 years have been rough for them, its definitely not 15 years.

More importantly, the Red Wings were one of the few teams to successfully accomplish a core turnover without missing a beat. They changed over from the Yzerman, Shanahan, & the Russian 5 to Datsyuk, Zetterberg, & Lidstrom without letting their 25 year playoff streak end - and they won Cups with both cores.

If the Capitals were to be the Red Wings after Ovechkin retires, that would mean they were able to successfully transfer from the Ovechkin/Backstrom core to the next core group. I'm skeptical that's going to happen. At this point, we don't even have an inkling of who that core group is going to be.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So MacLellan did at a couple points in his availability reference trading players+picks and touched on possible core changes but I'll believe it when it happens. They've already subtracted a fair bit of heart/soul/vibes. To go further down that road will have to be weighed carefully and be very beneficial. Not impossible but given some of the Chychrun reports from Tarik about them assessing the value of CMM/Lapierre to them in the near-term, moving one or both seems more likely. Hard to figure in the near-term how they'd fit (unless 19 does LTIRe). McMichael as the goal-scoring winger they need also seems highly unlikely, though at some point I'd give it a go for the hell of it anyway.

Also seems like the plan is Fehervary as the 2LD so have to figure they'll go pretty cheap at 3LD as well. That helps shift more money up front but...it's not like cap allocation up front is an issue. There's already so much committed. It's age/jam/consistency/energy and that can't be bought easily. They need to hit on what may be a top ten pick and then be extremely selective about additions and term commitment. There will be all sorts of available short-term upgrades but the question needs to be whether they're potential core adds. If it's just about supplementing the existing core they might as well save the picks and sign Tarasenko as a stopgap. If they're to make a trade it needs to be substantial. The core player I wonder about most is easily Backstrom. They'll be delicate and perhaps patient but the clock is ticking. There are less persuasive arguments in his favor than anyone else in the core group I'd argue. You have to hope a healthy and productive off-season does the trick but it's a lot to ask. Him, Snively or Frank...sure, why not?

Then there's the question of glue. They have Jensen, Oshie, Wilson and Dowd. Does NAK start killing penalties? Does Protas? How will they add in that area in depth F roles? Sheary is not that guy and shouldn't be retained. Again, they've got a lot of subtle holes that will be difficult to address in one off-season with limited space, whether it's 90's zone entries, Hathaway's agitation, third pair D PKers. It's also striking that a lot of those deficits come from having so many essentially one-dimensional players. It's also why I'm not quite sold on the Sandin fit. Orlov was an all-situations player. I don't know if Sandin will progress into that. How many all-sit players are they left with? One in Wilson? Maybe two in Carlson? Hard to win with that few when you're not getting elite offense. It's less age itself than now a severe lack of versatility. 19/77 were crucially once all-sit but no more and it's a much different, weaker output as a result.

You never know. Devon Toews once moved for a couple of seconds in the off-season when due a raise. They'll need to capitalize on something similar up front to get the boost they need. But it's not something I'd bank on, mostly because quite a few other rebuilding teams with even more space and prime assets will be right there thinking the same thing.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
What can Blues fans expect from Vrana if he’s playing at 100% ??

I’ve seen him play some obviously but not a ton.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Wheels, hands, and shot all very strong.

In zone play kind of meh. Not much for defense except in counterattacking play, but also not astounding in the offensive zone either. Sometimes it’s like he’s playing pickup basketball out there and if a play is too simple he seems to want to “do a move” first and thinks he’s fast enough to beat people from a flat start, which he isn’t, at least not in this league. Vrana probably tried more head fakes and double moves from a standing start in the corners than every other roster player combined…

There could be a better player there but he needed maturing ON the ice, let alone whatever is happening off of it.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

He'll frustrate you after a while because the talent is top end, but the work ethic and defensive awareness are, well, barely there. He bristled at playing within the system under several coaches until the Caps just gave up.

Just hope whatever was troubling him in Detroit is behind him. Good kid, just hasn't put it all together for any coach for some reason.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

100%?

A 30-40G talent with afterburners and a quick snap that can pick the corners. The best transition threat on the ice on most nights. The type of player capable of punishing the opponent for a turnover or bad line change. Good enough passer and capable of making plays at speed, but not going to be a guy who's great on a prolonged, down-low cycles.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
DO NOT WANT Sheary on the PK already see how easy he gets separated from the puck so easily in the offensive zone with his short stick.

Edit: Can't remember the possibility if he's been on the PK already /oldz.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
DO NOT WANT Sheary on the PK already see how easy he gets separated from the puck so easily in the offensive zone with his short stick.

Edit: Can't remember the possibility if he's been on the PK already /oldz.
Sheary has the 3rd most PK minutes among all Capitals forwards this season, and one of the two ahead of him just got traded to Colorado.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Making the Playoffs isn't going to be easy. There are lots of good teams in the East and some of the current bubble teams are youngest teams in the league and should continue to be better.

Boston - They will be much weaker next season. That said still shocked if Capitals finish ahead of them.

Carolina - Still a much better team than the Capitals.

New Jersey - I can see them being one of the best teams in the league next season.

Toronto - They'll be weaker but still a really good team next season. They will surely go for it again with Matthews contract expiring.

Tampa - The same core is still there. I don't see us passing them.

NYR - Hard to predict where they are next season. Likely they get weaker but if one of their former high picks take the next step they could be better. If Shesterkin bounces back they are a better team than us.

That's 6. Barring massive injury problems i think those teams finish ahead of us.

In the next tier there are Buffalo Sabres for sure. Youngest team in the league that should only continue to get better. Then you have Ottawa Senators who are team with a great young core that added Chychrun to it. Both of those teams do have question marks around goaltending and thag could backfire. If they have solid goaltending i can see both of those teams being better than us.

That's 8 already. Then you have Penguins who are sort of in a similar spot. Holding on for dear life with current core. Panthers and Isles likely fighting for the same spots too. Atleast the Blue Jackets even with a high pick are still far away but they'll be better with Werenski back. Flyers are still a tire-fire.

I don't think the odds are on our favor to make the Playoffs next season. I'd propably put it around 15 % to sneak into the WC spot but it's very hard to see them making any actual noise in the Playoffs. Are we going to be better than this season? We might have Carlson back for full season but how does he come back? Backstrom and Oshie have really been struggling and they will be year older again. Wilson back will be huge but it's hardly enough. Which Kuznetsov will show up? Can Ovechkin still carry us? He's PPG player this season and we are where we are.

Our defense is most likely even worse next season. Even if Carlson is back at his old level there isn't Orlov to take the garbage minutes anymore.

What about our next coach? What kind of style are we looking to play? I would wish they atleast kept the offense competent for the 895 chase and work it from there but i think the core hinders any kind of speed game. It's hard to play fast-paced hockey when you have +35 year-old in each of the top-3 lines. Even tougher if you throw 2 of them into a same line.

It's going to be really tough to even squeeze into the Playoffs next season. Even tougher to try and get past the 1st round because you are likely facing a top team straight away. I hope in the rest of the regular season that there are lots of chances handed to the youth to see who could stay for next season. Based on that they should try and get some reclamation projects like Strome in the summer for good short-term value and try to see what's around there on the trade route.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
What if Wilson himself doesn't want to spend the rest of his career on forever rebuilding Caps team?
If we get stuck in a constant rebuild loop, Wilson will be part of the problem and most likely get traded for prospects. I do think this could be a two year process, giving Ovie a shot his last years, maybe playing on a second line. At least that’s how I would plan it if I was GM

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What if Wilson himself doesn't want to spend the rest of his career on forever rebuilding Caps team?
They have to either extend him this summer or bite the bullet and trade him. They can't afford to wait until the trade deadline to get, say, two later first round picks or some such other non-sense. It would be a defining loss and perhaps the fatal finishing blow to this group. But you'd think they'll come to terms. He's integral and I don't doubt they have no such qualms about throwing the guy all the term he wants.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
If we get stuck in a constant rebuild loop, Wilson will be part of the problem and most likely get traded for prospects. I do think this could be a two year process, giving Ovie a shot his last years, maybe playing on a second line. At least that’s how I would plan it if I was GM
There is also the question, does Wilson want to stay for a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad