2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread (June 28-29, Nashville, TN) -- Who is your choice at 3rd?

Who do we choose?

• Fantilli

Votes: 23 11.4%
  • Carlsson

Votes: 138 68.3%
  • Smith

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • other

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Michkov

Votes: 16 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
...Oh god, can you all stop reading that thread please. :laugh:

In my defense I did not "scout" the 2017 draft, I didn't start systematically evaluating prospects and watching whole games until 2020. But that didn't stop me from thinking I knew who was best. Whoops.

Anyways, wouldn't the guy who is the potential Puljujarvi be Fantilli?

Another guy who I screwed up with was in 2013, Jonathan Drouin. Incredible dangle ability in juniors. Is Will Smith the next Drouin?
Yup, because you are the only one who has ever made a mistake. I am proud to say I was skeptical about Drouin and was high on Stutzle and while it is still early I was not a fan of Byfield. That said, I was big on Galchenyuk and that was a bust.

I am not sure I took a position on Puljujarvi. I think because I just assumed it was a slam dunk we were drafting him and what was the point in analyzing it.

As for this draft, I can be talked into or out of any of the three guys (Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith). None is a perfect prospect but all are very high end prospects each with different plusses and minuses. Whichever Jarmo picks is the guy I like the most.

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
13:47

"We watched every game Fantilli and Carlsson played at the World Championships."

Would seem to debunk the social media reports that Columbus will take Smith.
'Debunk' is probably a bit of an overstatement, but I did get a similar impression as you.

More how he ends that statement ~14:07. Paraphrasing: that's how we are going to make that decision based on those viewings

Reactions: CBJx614

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
'Debunk' is probably a bit of an overstatement, but I did get a similar impression as you.

More how he ends that statement ~14:07. Paraphrasing: that's how we are going to make that decision based on those viewings
Could also mean they eliminated one of those choices based on their viewings. I guess we all hear what we want to hear

Reactions: GoJackets1

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As much as my brain is telling me that there's no way that any of the analysts or reporters knows anything and the pick should be Carlsson(or Fantilli)... My gut is screaming it's gonna be Smith.

And if it is, I'm not COMPLETELY writing him off but I just don't see it. And if he turns out to be a high end winger that's still a good thing and maybe makes a guy like Laine expendable in a few years. Maybe we'll get lucky and Laine can transition to center, Johnson plays C and we don't even need Smith to play C!

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
If we choose Smith and ends up a winger and Carlsson ends up like a Kopitar. I have to believe this franchise is cursed when it comes to 1C.

That being said - we choose Carlsson. The Smith conversation is smoke and mirrors.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh god, can you all stop reading that thread please. :laugh:
I'm looking at it and thinking "g-ddamn, I didn't realize I was even more of a bitch back then". OTOH, it was to Tulip, so it was justified. :D

I see also that I had been drawing the parallel between "no to Puljujarvi" and drafting Joey in 2010 well in advance; it was just in anticipation of possibly picking Logan Brown.

Oops?

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
13:47

"We watched every game Fantilli and Carlsson played at the World Championships."

Would seem to debunk the social media reports that Columbus will take Smith.

He was asked a direct question specifically about Fantilli and Carlsson.

The way Jarmo finished that answer sounded like the canned way he answers (or doesn't answer) everything "we have our process and that's how we're going to do it".

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
My biggest concern about Smith is he's going to be a problem when it comes to contracts. He has a big wealthy family in Boston that you can bet your ass is going to want him home, sooner or later.

Edit- That's not my biggest concern, it's a big concern.

My biggest concern is we already have Will Smith on our roster, but his name is Kent Johnson. Who is also not a Center.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoJackets1

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
All these months everyone preaching about a big two way center we are drafting just to pass on him to draft a skilled 6 feet forward with no remarkable defensive game.

I don’t even know what to say
I think Id wait for Jarmo to announce the pick before Id say too much

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
My biggest concern about Smith is he's going to be a problem when it comes to contracts. He has a big wealthy family in Boston that you can bet your ass is going to want him home, sooner or later.
i'll never forget the day cam atkinson hit free agency and signed with his childhood favorite new york rangers. second only to the time that zach werenski signed with the red wings.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
i'll never forget the day cam atkinson hit free agency and signed with his childhood favorite new york rangers. second only to the time that zach werenski signed with the red wings.
I don’t think we really had issues with giving players enough money, more so with players wanting bright lights of Broadway or beaches of Miami

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Let's not bring in posts from other boards.

Everyone is welcome here to talk about prospects and what other teams fans are thinking but we don't need to bring their arguments here.

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

"We've seen in the past that people think its a lock at 2/3 on who you're going to get and then it changes because there are 32 teams that have their scouting staffs that don't publish their lists....and thats the lists they're going to follow. Not any public lists you see on twitter or anything like that."

3:10 is when he starts the quote.

I think its Smith

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
"We've seen in the past that people think its a lock at 2/3 on who you're going to get and then it changes because there are 32 teams that have their scouting staffs that don't publish their lists....and thats the lists they're going to follow. Not any public lists you see on twitter or anything like that."

I think its Smith
I mean I don’t know what to tell you, Jarmo made the right move drafting PLD over Pool Party so if they think Smith is their guy, they have some credentials to do so

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think its Smith

He's answering a question about how it feels to not have control / how unpredictable it is what Anaheim is going to do.

Reactions: Monk and stevo61

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I put a lot of stock into what GMs say right before the draft. That is when they are the most transparent.

We will see how it goes. As others have said, I cannot wait to rationalise why they made their pick. With Boumedienne on their scouting team, I suppose I will trust their evaluation of Carlsson however it turns out.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Omg lol I missed that completely. Wow. The others aren't really offensive but this one is a bit out there, must be some favor to a Finnish fan or something. (Hard to translate too, means being an a**hole in a tongue in cheek way but you'd never read it in a newspaper.) Edit: Seems like Jiri Curak is similar to this in Czech. I don't really care for JFresh but kudos for this, well done.

That 2016 draft thread is something. The takes only get better from page 5 onwards. :D A good reminder to save the overreactions for the future - we're not going to know how this turns out until a few years from now, regardless of whom we choose...

But you know the biggest shock in that thread? majormajor using the name "major major". Feels wrong, just unnatural. I get wanting to distance oneself from those takes though... :naughty:
Right "čurák (chura:k)" .... translate.... ehm..... :naughty:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
As I stepped out of my front door this early AM I was greeted by a fat reverse skunk...I call it "reverse" as it's body was all white except for streaks of black in its bushy tale. Anyway, I think the reverse skunk is a sign from Jarmo about who's he taking but it can go both ways. Could it be the Skunk of Good Fortune where we finally draft a 1c? Or is it the Skunk of Bad Demise where he takes Super Milano? I guess we'll have the answer in 16ish hours.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Quote from the article above -

It’s a lesson that gets repeated every season. The closer we get to the NHL Draft, the more the misdirection and misinformation flows. Some of it is a product of questionably sourced information. Some of it is purposeful misinformation, planted to throw other teams off the scent. Some of it may even represent uncertainty on the part of teams’ scouting staffs; especially in a year when there are multiple players close in ability (albeit with different skill sets) at that stage of the draft.

Just some words of wisdom. Happy Draft Day - Welcome Leo Carlsson to the CBJ!!!

Last edited:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
At 12:31 Jarmo says (we evaluate) "testing at the Combine". Since I prefer Carlsson over Smith, this screams Smith to me because he was the only one who tested at the Combine. :D (He didn't do super well though... and Jarmo downplays the Combine a bit later.)

Admittedly he also brings up Fantilli and Carlsson up on his own without being prompted at 13:45, so...

How he speaks about Fantilli "playing higher than the 4th line by the end when it started to count the most" around 14:45 kinda gives a feel that they prefer Fantilli over Carlsson though.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they'll pick Fantilli if he's available, and if not, it'll be Smith (have they even mentioned their name publicly in interviews?). Ok my prediction is there, done, no takebacks, I'll go post in the prediction thread lol.

I can't wait for this to be over and know who they pick. :D

Reactions: Columbus Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad