2023 NHL Entry Draft Thread (June 28-29, Nashville, TN) -- Who is your choice at 3rd?

Who do we choose?

• Fantilli

Votes: 23 11.4%
  • Carlsson

Votes: 138 68.3%
  • Smith

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • other

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Michkov

Votes: 16 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What really has people thinking Smith? That bit Porty put out that was just his opinion? Jarmo loves kids who play against men and he also preaches "playing the right way". He has a chance to draft a Barkov type big 2 way 1C and the expectation is he'll pass on that for the pure skill guy?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Maneuver to #2 with the LA pick and whatever else it takes. I'm not for it but Anaheim might be swayed somehow..
Would likely require #3 and the LA pick at absolute minimum. Likely also another asset (next year’s first?). I’d maybe do that if you could lottery protect (top-2) next year’s first.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maneuver to #2 with the LA pick and whatever else it takes. I'm not for it but Anaheim might be swayed somehow..
Absolutely not. Not giving up extra assets for one player. We're getting a stud either way. We either add another player in the draft with the pick or package it with another prospect/player (s) to get some help on D.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Would likely require #3 and the LA pick at absolute minimum. Likely also another asset (next year’s first?). I’d maybe do that if you could lottery protect (top-2) next year’s first.
Would be an absolute display of terrible asset management. He's not worth the difference.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
It's gotta be Carlsson since Fantilli is gone. Based on what we have in the system a big two-way player is our biggest hole in the lineup. Carlsson could step in day one and be a top 9 centerman on this team and could be a #1 in the Kopitar/Toews/Bergeron mold if he can figure out a way to improve his shot into a true weapon. Regardless, at this point without Bedard or Fantilli our only chance to get into the championship conversation is to run a Boston-style lineup.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Craig Button looks like Mortimer Snerd if anyone is old enough to remember that. Its actually before my time but he's his doppelganger!

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I’m sticking to my prediction that Columbus takes Smith .. Smith in my mind is every bit the playmaker , but also has a great shot . I need to watch Carlsson more ..I’m only watched a couple hours of him, I feel if he wasn’t 6ft 3 , I don’t think there would be a chance he would be viewed as a top 5 pick in this draft . Skating needs some work , and his shot is below average . Which player has the higher upside ? Pronman says scouts are split about 50/50 whether Carlsson plays wing or Center .. also feels spends another year in SHL or Ahl …

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Comparisons I’ve read on Carlsson are Backstrom, Barkov, Sundin.

Gimme that all day every day.
The Barkov one makes the most sense of those, maybe Backstrom a bit. He'll have to hit the weight room an obscene amount and improve his goal scoring to be Sundin like :laugh:

Hes going to be great and needed in his own right though.
Gaudreau-Johnson-Marchenko/better forechecker Jenner-Carlsson-Laine could make magic moving forward

Reactions: Xoggz22

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Would be an absolute display of terrible asset management. He's not worth the difference.
I think Fantilli is definitely worth a late 1st over Carlsson/Smith. Probably not an additional early 1st. But I’d definitely do #3 and LA pick, and I think I’d do #3 and next year’s first (top-2 protected) (and not include the LA pick).

Reactions: GoJackets1

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think Fantilli is definitely worth a late 1st over Carlsson/Smith. Probably not an additional early 1st. But I’d definitely do #3 and LA pick, and I think I’d do #3 and next year’s first (top-2 protected) (and not include the LA pick).
I think I'd rather take Carlsson, stop waiting for the Hockey Gods to cut us a break because it's clear they never will, and build our own damn legend.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and I3LI3

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Of course I'm under no illusions that Jarmo will draft Dalibor Dvorský, but he was at the Slovakia U18 game. I just can't remember if it was against Finland or USA. It seems to me that the US. In that case, he was looking at Smith, or so I think.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I’m sticking to my prediction that Columbus takes Smith .. Smith in my mind is every bit the playmaker , but also has a great shot . I need to watch Carlsson more ..I’m only watched a couple hours of him, I feel if he wasn’t 6ft 3 , I don’t think there would be a chance he would be viewed as a top 5 pick in this draft . Skating needs some work , and his shot is below average . Which player has the higher upside ? Pronman says scouts are split about 50/50 whether Carlsson plays wing or Center .. also feels spends another year in SHL or Ahl …

This is interesting... Leo's floor is probably Patrick Berglund? What would Smith's floor be?

Jarmo does what he wants, when he wants..

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I think I'd rather take Carlsson, stop waiting for the Hockey Gods to cut us a break because it's clear they never will, and build our own damn legend.
Agree
and Jarmo has a lot of building to do and he needs to do it quickly

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I’m sticking to my prediction that Columbus takes Smith .. Smith in my mind is every bit the playmaker , but also has a great shot . I need to watch Carlsson more ..I’m only watched a couple hours of him, I feel if he wasn’t 6ft 3 , I don’t think there would be a chance he would be viewed as a top 5 pick in this draft . Skating needs some work , and his shot is below average . Which player has the higher upside ? Pronman says scouts are split about 50/50 whether Carlsson plays wing or Center .. also feels spends another year in SHL or Ahl
Carlsson take long strides and can look awkward but his game awareness puts him where he needs to be. I dont think he has blazing speed by any means but he seems capable of of separation when those legs are pumping.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

To me, Smith has by far the higher ceiling. If Smith hits you are talking about a 100+ point player that can carry a line and hold possession almost single-handedly, I think he is in the same vein as Pavel Datsyuk potentially (although without that level of Defense). Carlsson is going to max out I would bet in the 80s as a point producer most likely however he has the potential to do that while shutting down the other team's top line. I do think he will be reliant on finishers and will require skilled linemates to make it to that level of point production though.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Not really sure why trading up for Fantilli would prevent that. The only “legend” (if you want to call him that) in our franchise’s history was a result of us trading up in the draft.

I’m not saying that Anaheim would do it or that I know the exact compensation required, but I think #3 and next year’s first would be worth it (based solely on what I’ve read about each, for full transparency).

Reactions: GoJackets1

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Honestly, based on that, I'd be surprised if Smith is the pick. I mean, we already have KJ, so it's safe to say that someone who covers other areas of skill and capability would be a priority.
Could be .. but at the same point they have Voronkov coming over as well . He could be a #3 center that can play up if needed .. similar to what Lundell is doing for Florida right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad