GDT: 2023 NHL Draft

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Will have to do some more in-depth looks at our draft picks in the next few days but I did read the Black Book on our prospects and overall I liked our draft:

Colby Barlow — I wanted Moore here (or Perreault or Musty) but I hadn't seen a ton of Barlow before so that's why. Looking into him more and it's hard to be upset with him. Plays a heavy game, is hard to move off the puck in front of the net and has an NHL-ready shot to go with pro size. High hockey IQ, rugged, and intense — the Scholastic stuff and him being a leader is just gravy. I'd give Chevy an A for this one.

Zach Nehring — Not as bullish on him but certainly hoping for the best. Scouting report honestly reads like a poor man's Barlow. Cool story and he wants to be here, and I haven't seen him play, so maybe he surprises me. Stash him away in the USHL this year and then in college for a while and see if he can carve out an NHL career by the time he reaches 22/23 years old. Feel there were better players left on the board but the Jets really wanted him I guess and since they've traded away so many picks, they may have reached for him. Grade: C

Jacob Julien — His stats don't look pretty but the Black Book did a pretty decent sell job on the guy. Started last year in Jr. B and worked his way up to the OHL. Played extremely limited minutes and the Black Book said his stats were actually very good considering his role on the team. Huge forward, high offensive IQ with slick playmaking abilities and clutch goalscoring. Expected to have a large role with London in the OHL this season. Overage by a couple days but I'm fine with him in the 5th round. A decent project to follow along. Grade: B-

Thomas Milic — I like this pick. I've been wanting the Jets to draft smaller goalies with pedigrees for a while now (like Dustin Wolf) and we never have. We know Milic's accolades and the athleticism and skillset seems to be there. Him being a double overager and drafted so late gives me pause, but we're all happy with DiVicentiis right now and Milic just had a better season than him. Him and DD give us two intriguing goalie prospects to follow who might be something. Yeah, he's a smaller goalie, but it's not like our big late-round goalies (Holm, Moe, Neaton) have panned out. I'm super pumped with this pick but I do want to temper my expectations a bit because despite his accolades, he isn't a sure thing at all. Still, he's money value at this spot. Grade: A

Connor Levis — More good value here. Was buried in Kamloops playing on the third line and 2nd PP unit but still put up 67 points in 68 games. He's likely (I'm assuming) a first line player for the Blazers next year, so expect that to climb. Apparently a really good penalty killer and forechecker, despite his poor skating. Disrupts plays with anticipation, reads the game well in his own end, and is a fearless shot blocker. Apparently he just plays a really smart, responsible game in his own end, and I mean, the point totals are there. Grade: A (value-wise, anyway)

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Will have to do some more in-depth looks at our draft picks in the next few days but I did read the Black Book on our prospects and overall I liked our draft:

Colby Barlow — I wanted Moore here (or Perreault or Musty) but I hadn't seen a ton of Barlow before so that's why. Looking into him more and it's hard to be upset with him. Plays a heavy game, is hard to move off the puck in front of the net and has an NHL-ready shot to go with pro size. High hockey IQ, rugged, and intense — the Scholastic stuff and him being a leader is just gravy. I'd give Chevy an A for this one.

Zach Nehring — Not as bullish on him but certainly hoping for the best. Scouting report honestly reads like a poor man's Barlow. Cool story and he wants to be here, and I haven't seen him play, so maybe he surprises me. Stash him away in the USHL this year and then in college for a while and see if he can carve out an NHL career by the time he reaches 22/23 years old. Feel there were better players left on the board but the Jets really wanted him I guess and since they've traded away so many picks, they may have reached for him. Grade: C

Jacob Julien — His stats don't look pretty but the Black Book did a pretty decent sell job on the guy. Started last year in Jr. B and worked his way up to the OHL. Played extremely limited minutes and the Black Book said his stats were actually very good considering his role on the team. Huge forward, high offensive IQ with slick playmaking abilities and clutch goalscoring. Expected to have a large role with London in the OHL this season. Overage by a couple days but I'm fine with him in the 5th round. A decent project to follow along. Grade: B-

Thomas Milic — I like this pick. I've been wanting the Jets to draft smaller goalies with pedigrees for a while now (like Dustin Wolf) and we never have. We know Milic's accolades and the athleticism and skillset seems there. Him being a double overager and drafted so late gives me pause, but we're all happy with DiVicentiis right now and Milic just had a better season than him. Him and DD give us two intriguing goalie prospects to follow who might be something. Yeah, he's a smaller goalie, but it's not like our big late-round goalies (Holm, Moe, Neaton) have panned out. I'm super pumped with this pick but I do want to temper my expectations a bit because despite his accolades, he isn't a sure thing at all. Still, he's money value at this spot. Grade: A

Connor Levis — More good value here. Was buried in Kamloops playing on the third line and 2nd PP unit but still put up 67 points in 68 games. He's likely (I'm assuming) a first line player for the Blazers next year, so expect that to climb. Apparently a really good penalty killer and forechecker, despite his poor skating. Disrupts plays with anticipation, reads the game well in his own end, and is a fearless shot blocker. Apparently he just plays a really smart, responsible game in his own end, and I mean, the point totals are there. Grade: A (value-wise, anyway)
Nice summaries. Thanks for this.

Reactions: snowkiddin

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Distribution table of rounds and where they were drafted from across all the teams.

Not sure if some leagues could be grouped together, but this is how it was it was labelled from source (there was a couple I manually grouped b/c of punctuation)

USHL had the most players drafted. Weirdly none by the Jets :laugh:

dboard.PNG

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Apparently, Montreal’s pick of Reinbacher is not going over well at all.

What an awful fan base. Truly embarrassing. I fell super sorry for that kid.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Similar to their absolute toxic nonsense from the Scheifele hit. So many bad apples out there.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

I mean 'Puck Empire' is not exactly a credible source...

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Reactions: macmaroon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Anyhow for those who don't think the plan isn't to use Cole at center:

Now, it sounds like Cole Perfetti will get a shot to thrive in the centre position after being drafted as one out of the Ontario Hockey League in 2020.

“When we look at the evolution of franchises, look at the development of franchises, everyone can say play the young players but they have to have the opportunities in front of them,” Cheveldayoff said. “Those are things where sometimes you have to move players, sometimes you have to do things in order to offer those opportunities. Now, it will be up to a play like Cole to take them.”

Reactions: None

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
@Daximus — when do you open the 2024 draft thread? I want to shitpost about us getting Celebrini at #32. Thanks.

I'm assuming we get that 1st round pick by the trade deadline in which we sent a rental to the eventual Stanley Cup winners :laugh:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm assuming we get that 1st round pick by the trade deadline in which we sent a rental to the eventual Stanley Cup winners :laugh:
Sources told me the Blackhawks had “significant” interest in the rights to David Rittich last week and that the 1st overall pick was “absolutely” in play, just the Jets were just a bit gun-shy.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Blackhawks offer Bedard, their 1st round pick next year, and a small plus, in exchange for Rittich. Once Rittich backstops the Hawks to the Cup next year we can use that pick to draft Celebrini, assuming he falls.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad