GDT: 2023 NHL Draft

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The only pick I really don't like is our third round pick. Seemed like a massive reach to me. I'm ok with our 5th round pick at that spot but not big on the grab big players with mediocre results and limited upside philosophy this org pulls out from time to time. Has one of these types of picks actually ever worked out well for us in however many drafts we've had now?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I feel like people grading this draft would give it a C.

They Like:
Colby Barlow
Thomas Milic
Connor Levis

They Don't Like:
Zachary Nehring
Jacob Julien

No memorable selections, no huge drops, no trades.
I'd give it a 'Winnipeg'

Thankfully Jets have a full slate of picks in 2024. One pick in every round. Don’t give any of those away, Chevy.
Again... why not trade those picks for useable roster players? We have had one hit past the first round in 8 years now...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Barlow and Levis are kind of drops. Barlow ranked as high as 6 by Hockey Prospect and in the top 10 of many other lists. Levis was in a lot of people top 64's and top 100's.

The Habs took 2 Russians so I don't think it has anything to do with being "woke". They just preferred Reinbacher for better or worse.
Reinbacher is going to be a top 4 RHD... which every team is searching for... nothing wrong with that pick

Reactions: Stumbledore

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Jets:

7r1chs.jpg

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
This is not going well as a re-tool, rebuild or whatever you want to call it. From La we get mostly bottom 6 players and a guy with back problems. From the draft we only had one pick in the first round, didn't add picks any anywhere else. No one seems to want Helle , Wheeler is still not bought out and Schief isn't traded.

Thus far, I grade Chevy's performance a D.

Reactions: rkp

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Dax, why do you think Lewis fell as much as he did?

Hard to say but if I had to guess it's likely due to not really getting a tonne of icetime in Kamloops in hard situations like many other prospects did due to how deep his team is so there might have been a bit of hesitancy due to him being a bit sheltered in his role. His skating isn't exactly great either, it's not bad but it's not really good.

Outside of that who knows. Maybe he had some bad interviews?

Reinbacher is going to be a top 4 RHD... which every team is searching for... nothing wrong with that pick

I have no qualms with Reinbacher I think he definitely has top 4 potential. I think Michkov is going to make more than just Habs fans regret their pick down the line though.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I’ll give the Jets a B for this draft.
Three very solid picks for where they were chosen and two head scratchers. But, maybe they see something special in those other two that we’ll start to see as well as they progress.

I was really hoping that they might trade an asset like Stanley for a 2nd rounder since there were still some really good players available in the second round.
But maybe he’s not even worth that anymore?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This is not going well as a re-tool, rebuild or whatever you want to call it. From La we get mostly bottom 6 players and a guy with back problems. From the draft we only had one pick in the first round, didn't add picks any anywhere else. No one seems to want Helle , Wheeler is still not bought out and Schief isn't traded.

Thus far, I grade Chevy's performance a D.
To be fair the off season is only two weeks old, and some of that stuff could change quick

Reactions: Mooche

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Scott Wheeler thought they did well.

Mark Edwards (Hockey Prospects) really loved the Barlow pick. Had him rated #6 overall. Pronman was lower on Barlow.
I like the Barlow pick - but its the same as the Connor and Perfetti pick... a good player in a deep first round

Oliver Moore would also have been good, etc - we got a good player like 20-25 other teams in the first round... he's not a steal

Then we got a guy who's 5 years away and then a guy who projects as maybe a 4th line winger..

Then we chose Eric Comrie... and CJ Seuss

Grade: C

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like the Barlow pick - but its the same as the Connor and Perfetti pick... a good player in a deep first round

Oliver Moore would also have been good, etc - we got a good player like 20-25 other teams in the first round... he's not a steal

Then we got a guy who's 5 years away and then a guy who projects as maybe a 4th line winger..

Then we chose Eric Comrie... and CJ Seuss

If I'm grading a draft, I weight it based on the round of the pick. The 18th is probably worth 3-4X as much as a late 3rd, and 10 times as much as a 5th.

Nail the 1st round pick, and it can be a successful draft. If you get the rare hit later, it's just a bonus, but can't substitute for flubbing a 1st round pick.

That's true for every team. Find one player you really like from the 12 that the Canes picked in 2019 (when many thought they had a strong draft because of the number of picks).

From this draft, I think Barlow was a very good pick for the Jets. I like him better than Moore.

The rest of the picks were just flyers, as they usually are. If you want to get depth NHL forwards and D, they are cheap on the trade and waiver market, especially if you retain a bit of cap flexibility. You don't need to draft them. That's been a shift in my thinking in the past couple of years.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If I'm grading a draft, I weight it based on the round of the pick. The 18th is probably worth 3-4X as much as a late 3rd, and 10 times as much as a 5th.

Nail the 1st round pick, and it can be a successful draft. If you get the rare hit later, it's just a bonus, but can't substitute for flubbing a 1st round pick.

That's true for every team. Find one player you really like from the 12 that the Canes picked in 2019 (when many thought they had a strong draft because of the number of picks).

From this draft, I think Barlow was a very good pick for the Jets. I like him better than Moore.

The rest of the picks were just flyers, as they usually are. If you want to get depth NHL forwards and D, they are cheap on the trade and waiver market, especially if you retain a bit of cap flexibility. You don't need to draft them. That's been a shift in my thinking in the past couple of years.
Then that's a C or C+ grade... because every team did that - the ones that didn't failed...

Again, this is a bit of my argument for trading mid-round picks - we haven't hit on anyone except Samberg since Hillier took over - trading picks got us Dillon, Schmidt, Nino...

To me where the Jets are lacking is that they are not playing the numbers - its almost impossible to get RHD now and C are a premium - yet we don't put a priority on drafting that...

Helle is leaving - so we draft one goalie - why not draft 3 and see who pans out if you're taking a flyer on more wingers - the only position where we have depth - doesn't make sense

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Then that's a C or C+ grade... because every team did that - the ones that didn't failed...

Again, this is a bit of my argument for trading mid-round picks - we haven't hit on anyone except Samberg since Hillier took over - trading picks got us Dillon, Schmidt, Nino...

To me where the Jets are lacking is that they are not playing the numbers - its almost impossible to get RHD now and C are a premium - yet we don't put a priority on drafting that...

Helle is leaving - so we draft one goalie - why not draft 3 and see who pans out if you're taking a flyer on more wingers - the only position where we have depth - doesn't make sense
It's very, very rare to hit on later round picks, even if you have a bunch. Look through all the Canes' picks and try to find a real diamond beyond the middle of round 2 in the past 5 years.

Some 1st rounders will bust. I doubt that Barlow will. I'd give it a B, all things considered.

Look how top teams get their goalies. Many aren't drafted, just picked up his waivers or trades or even free agency. I'm okay with taking a swing on a goalie each draft. Any goalie drafted now is 4-5 years away, at minimum.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It's very, very rare to hit on later round picks, even if you have a bunch. Look through all the Canes' picks and try to find a real diamond beyond the middle of round 2 in the past 5 years.

Some 1st rounders will bust. I doubt that Barlow will. I'd give it a B, all things considered.
Im not disagreeing at all... but for that reason alone, I wouldn't draft forwards after the first round - you can find an NHL winger in ANY first round

Continue loading up on D and Goalies in rounds 2-7... eventually you'll hit - we just don't need project wingers

Even in the Perfetti draft - the next two picks were a Centre and a Goalie - Perfetti will be a very nice player but man we would be slotting Lundell in as 2C and Askarov would be the heir apparent in net

I have not seen a clear strategy in the Hillier era - we have a dearth of forwards and a giant hole down the middle, RHD and in goal... this did not just 'appear' this year - its been noticeable for a while now

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Look how top teams get their goalies. Many aren't drafted, just picked up his waivers or trades or even free agency. I'm okay with taking a swing on a goalie each draft. Any goalie drafted now is 4-5 years away, at minimum.
Again... the Jets are not a top destination - we signed Steve Mason and had to pay dearly to unload him... Jets are drafting a goalie or trading for one plain and simple

3rd round - We drafted a winger at 82nd that is 5-6 years away from NHL - so we will get about 4 years of him at bottom six level... whereas the next Goalie Zavragin is 17 and a pie in the sky pic... but if he hits at age 22 then you've got a starting goalie for 10 years

5th round - Another forward project who tops out at fourth liner in several years... or you take the next D available - Hammell 6'2 RHD project - who was actually a faller unlike Julien

I like the goalie pick

7th round - who cares really... but why pick another forward project instead of the 6'5 LHD available who sadly sounds a lot like Stanley...

Again, Im not seeing the upside of developing all these forwards - when you can easily grab and Eyssimont, AJF or Kuhlman on waiver wire...

If we win the lottery on all of these picks, we have a middle six LW, a bottom RW, two tweeners and a goalie

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Im not disagreeing at all... but for that reason alone, I wouldn't draft forwards after the first round - you can find an NHL winger in ANY first round

Continue loading up on D and Goalies in rounds 2-7... eventually you'll hit - we just don't need project wingers

Even in the Perfetti draft - the next two picks were a Centre and a Goalie - Perfetti will be a very nice player but man we would be slotting Lundell in as 2C and Askarov would be the heir apparent in net

I have not seen a clear strategy in the Hillier era - we have a dearth of forwards and a giant hole down the middle, RHD and in goal... this did not just 'appear' this year - its been noticeable for a while now

It sounds like Perfetti will be slotted in at center this year. No offense to Lundell but he wasn't displacing Mark or Dubois down the middle the last few years as well.

As Chevy said they drafted Perfetti as a center (He said that two days ago when talking about Dubois). So can we please stop the positokn narrative here. Perfetti was also significantly better last year than Lundell.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It sounds like Perfetti will be slotted in at center this year. No offense to Lundell but he wasn't displacing Mark or Dubois down the middle the last few years as well.

As Chevy said they drafted Perfetti as a center (He said that two days ago when talking about Dubois). So can we please stop the positokn narrative here. Perfetti was also significantly better last year than Lundell.
Who said he was displacing either of them? But he'd 100% be our 2C this year

And again, I'll believe that Perfetti is our next 2C once I see him play an ACTUAL game as an NHL C... Chevy can say anything he wants - but at this point Perfetti is a winger who has lost almost every draw he's taken

Its not a position narrative - Lundell is an actual C in the NHL currently with the same FO percentage as Scheif - Perfetti is a LW

Also check your stats on the Perfetti v Lundell claims... they seem pretty comparable

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Who said he was displacing either of them? But he'd 100% be our 2C this year

And again, I'll believe that Perfetti is our next 2C once I see him play an ACTUAL game as an NHL C... Chevy can say anything he wants - but at this point Perfetti is a winger who has lost almost every draw he's taken

Its not a position narrative - Lundell is an actual C in the NHL currently with the same FO percentage as Scheif - Perfetti is a LW

Also check your stats on the Perfetti v Lundell claims... they seem pretty comparable
31 points in 51 games vs 33 in 73. Sorry no they aren't this past year. Lundell wouldn't have played C here either had we drafted him that is the point as he wasn't displacing Lowry either or would you have been happy with him getting a token 8 minutes as 4C.

Perfetti played wing because that was the open top 9 slot. Fadeoffs are irellivant as Cole doesn't have a relevant sample size.

Reactions: hn777

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
31 points in 51 games vs 33 in 73. Sorry no they aren't this past year. Lundell wouldn't have played C here either had we drafted him that is the point as he wasn't displacing Lowry either or would you have been happy with him getting a token 8 minutes as 4C.

Perfetti played wing because that was the open top 9 slot. Fadeoffs are irellivant as Cole doesn't have a relevant sample size.
The fact that Perfetti doesn't have a sample size of face-offs is pretty relevant if you're slotting him in at 2C...

And you seem to forget that PLD and Scheif played on a line together for a large chunk of the year... of course Lundell would have been 2 or 3C...

Your logic is off on this one. You WANT Perfetti to be our 2C and are cherry picking... they have the same Corsi and of course Perfetti has more points playing with our best players... PoMo plugged Lundell into a checking role - measuring by points is ridiculous.

At the end of the day, Lundell is an NHL C that can play wing... Perfetti is a winger that we hope can play C... I mean I have my fingers crossed but to declare him 2C is crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad