2023 NHL Draft Thread

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
:huh: Am I missing something? He said we need help on the wing in our prospect pool... when wing is the strongest position in our prospect pool. Where we need a little bit of help on wing is in our NHL lineup for the coming season, not our prospect pool.

But anyway, it doesn't mean we couldn't draft another winger anyway. If that's the best player. It just sounds weird to justify doing so by claiming that's something we're particularly lacking.

Yeah I think you're missing the specific thing I quoted which was a misquote (but seemingly a joke) of the article. D is probably our weakest link in the prospect pool but I don't think any of us are lining up to take one of those. It will be either an F or a C. And like you I hope we go with BPA at F or C at 15 (and 24).

Why am I even debating this? I just had issue with the way the article was quoted and really couldn't care less which position we take at 15 as long as it's not a G and preferably not a D.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The area we are thin as a prospect pool is top line. You can apply that to forward or defenseman.

We are deepest at middle 6 wing but I still have doubts we have many/if any sure fire top line wingers in our pool. We absolutely have no top line D in our pool.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
FWIW, Kevin Weekes put his mock on ESPN this morning.

Cristall at 15
Heidt at 24
Good lord, that is "swinging for the fences"... on steroids. No, I just can't see that. Those are some Brayden Point kinds of swings, upped to the 1st round, and I'm not against that kind of gamble at #24 if the draft plays out a certain way... but... we aren't going to need to do that at #15 also, for sure. That's a horrible mock take IMHO.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
ehhh, that's a good amount of skill coming in, but I am not sure I would be thrilled with that after all the mocks and names we have thrown around. I'd be more on board with Heidt at 24, but I don't like Cristall at 15 or maybe much at all....then again he epitomizes swing for the fences or boom or bust or whatever other way you want to slice it. He is a guy that may not have any role in the league if he doesn't develop. He has a very low floor in my mind.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
As noted by @jumb0, Kevin Weeke's Mock:

15. Nashville Predators: Andrew Cristall, LW, Kelowna (WHL)​

DOB: 02/04/05 | Ht: 5-9.5 | Wt: 167 | Shot: L
GP: 54 | G: 39 | A: 56 | P: 95

I was close with Cristall or Brayden Yager at this spot. I'll go with Cristall. He had some real big numbers in Kelowna, and he's skilled. The reason I'd take him this high? The justification is more the team needs and the team fits. Sometimes, they say "take the best player in the draft" or go with "the best player available." The best player available may not work with where you are at and how you want to play. Does that player fit with what you do? I think Cristall fits with what new coach Andrew Brunette wants to do.

24. Nashville Predators: Riley Heidt, C, Prince George (WHL)​

DOB: 03/25/05 | Ht: 5-10.25 | Wt: 178 | Shot: L
GP: 68 | G: 25 | A: 72 | P: 97

Heidt is one of those guys who always seems to be in motion. He's not the biggest guy, but he has a motor that does not stop. I also see a guy going from 58 points in his second season to 97 points in his third season in the same amount of games, but with fewer penalty minutes. That is a huge uptick in production. Nashville is looking for guys with offensive upside, and he fits.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
ehhh, that's a good amount of skill coming in, but I am not sure I would be thrilled with that after all the mocks and names we have thrown around. I'd be more on board with Heidt at 24, but I don't like Cristall at 15 or maybe much at all....then again he epitomizes swing for the fences or boom or bust or whatever other way you want to slice it. He is a guy that may not have any role in the league if he doesn't develop. He has a very low floor in my mind.
I feel like both players are like that. You would really have to be at your wits end to take either of them at #24 IMO. I don't think we're going to be down to that. Just a bad bad mock take, in the end. We are probably going to be cursed with the worst mock takes ever, because nobody out there follows our team.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Hey if this is not okay please feel free to delete.

Anyone selling any extra tickets for the draft day 1?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
My brothers : On this most auspicious draft eve I will give my final selections for the first round . Inshallah i am correct

15 OA: Oliver Moore

24 OA: Quentin Musty
Good with this. Would almost call it ideal

I feel like both players are like that. You would really have to be at your wits end to take either of them at #24 IMO. I don't think we're going to be down to that. Just a bad bad mock take, in the end. We are probably going to be cursed with the worst mock takes ever, because nobody out there follows our team.
Heidt seems like he can fall into a bottom 6 role for energy guy if he has to, but again I only would feel slightly better about him than Cristall. Neither are on my preferred list.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
My brothers : On this most auspicious draft eve I will give my final selections for the first round . Inshallah i am correct

15 OA: Oliver Moore

24 OA: Quentin Musty
I would barf. Although it's in keeping with the Trotz mantra. Swing for the fences. But you are doing it on Rico Fata and crossing your fingers that a talented #24 pick learns to Play The Game better. Not my picks, anyway. Having the fastest skater in the draft looks good... until you start playing games.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I would barf. Although it's in keeping with the Trotz mantra. Swing for the fences. But you are doing it on Rico Fata and crossing your fingers that a talented #24 pick learns to Play The Game better. Not my picks, anyway. Having the fastest skater in the draft looks good... until you start playing games.
I was debating between Yager, Moore, and Danielson as well . I really think we go center at 15.

I think all their upside is about the same : maybe topping out as a 70 pt 1/2 pivots

I think Musty could become an elite winger however- he seems to have really turned around his 2 way play in the 2nd part of the season

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I was debating between Yager, Moore, and Danielson as well . I really think we go center at 15.

I think all their upside is about the same : maybe topping out as a 70 pt 1/2 pivots

I think Musty could become an elite winger however- he seems to have really turned around his 2 way play in the 2nd part of the season

2nd part of the season that coincides with our new Asst Coach taking over his team?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think Kemell is definitely top line potential
It's early days, but when a prospect stands out sooner than you ever dreamed of, it's a nice thing to base hopes on. Both Evangelista and Kemell have been "ahead of the curve" like that for me.

Of course, they still have to keep it up, and keep getting better still. But the "early returns" are awesome. :thumbu:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think Kemell is definitely top line potential
Yeah, they are on the fringe for sure that's why I said many/if any. It's close for those guys, and then you always have the potential for a guy coming out of left field in his development path, not unlike Juuso.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad