2023 NHL Draft Thread

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I just feel like at some point one of Saros or Askarov is getting traded (or Askarov is a bust) so if we can get a good return I’m fine to pull the trigger.
Really depends on what's being offered. Having Saros in front of Askarov means you don't have to worry about the position for a long time if everything works out. If someone is offering a Jeannot worthy overpayment then that's a different story.

Reactions: Scoresberg

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It seems like this is how teams are thinking but I really don't think it's the right outlook on it. Most of the high picking teams aren't going to truly compete for a few years anyway. Might as well get him as a little older/better player on ELC money when you're trying to enter a window.

Exception would probably be Columbus who is trying to compete now.
Best case is sign him summer of 2026 ... if he leaves the KHL for a NHL ELC deal and potential pay cut ... if he stays healthy through three KHL seasons. Three years without him at camps ... three years without him developing within a team's system and alongside future teammates ... three years of having to worry about what the status of relations with Russia is at the point he becomes available.

No team wants to prolong its tank. It's too costly.

It's what makes him a risk/reward question and why he isn't a consensus top 2-3 pick.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah I’d give up essentially this years whole draft to get one of the top five guys. We already have a pretty strong prospect pool of good but not great talents. I say swing for the fences if you get the opportunity. I’d seriously consider trading Askarov too if that can get us into the top five.
It would be turned down.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
if we just want a re-tool, trade Askarov .

If we want a rebuild trade Saros.

It makes no sense not moving one of the assets right now for a top 6 center

My logic is basically as follows.

If it's true that Saros, a youngish and proven Vezina-caliber goalie, cannot command something as good as a top line C, then what could we ever possibly hope to get in return for goalie prospect? I don't think we gain anything by trading for anything other than a C at this point. We have cash available to sign top 6 wingers.

Reactions: PredsV82

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It would be turned down.
It wouldn't get you close to the top five, but there's lots of talk among Canucks fans about the idea of trading down from 11 for Nashville's 15th pick (with the Canucks picking up an additional second, or something like that). Has that idea come up here at all? Does it make any sense to Preds fans?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It wouldn't get you close to the top five, but there's lots of talk among Canucks fans about the idea of trading down from 11 for Nashville's 15th pick (with the Canucks picking up an additional second, or something like that). Has that idea come up here at all? Does it make any sense to Preds fans?
We have been on that idea for a long time here, yes.

Just it seemed to lose most of its steam when Vancouver opted to buy out OEL. Now they may not feel quite the same pressure to make such a move?

We've been saying that a winger like Garland or Boeser would be a nicer fit to our direct needs, albeit they come with Term remaining. We'd also be able to accommodate Myers instead, although that's more of a pure Dump on us.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
We have been on that idea for a long time here, yes.

Just it seemed to lose most of its steam when Vancouver opted to buy out OEL. Now they may not feel quite the same pressure to make such a move?

We've been saying that a winger like Garland or Boeser would be a nicer fit to our direct needs, albeit they come with Term remaining. We'd also be able to accommodate Myers instead, although that's more of a pure Dump on us.
I don't think the OEL deal affects the logic of trading down for the Canucks, so ... we'll see. As to Nashville taking Garland or Boeser, the buyout certainly takes some pressure off, but most Canuck fans would still be happy if something could be worked out there. How management thinks is anybody's guess.

Thanks for replying to my question. Much appreciated.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If you are talking about staight value trades #15 and #24 could get you pretty close to #5; #15, #24, #111 might be the magic number.

EDIT; Trade that might be interesting is Duchene at 2 mil to Washington.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Totally forgot the awards ahow was tonight. I know @101st_fan is there, hopefully some more of you got to go...

Hope a good time is had by all.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The Predators drafting at 11 seems like their default setting.

As far as Michkov goes how about a 3way
Ottawa gets Karlsson (1/2 cap hit)
Predators get 4th overall plus 1/2 Karlsson cap hit
San Jose gets DeBrincat, Preds 15th and 24th and Ottawa 1st next year

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The Predators drafting at 11 seems like their default setting.

As far as Michkov goes how about a 3way
Ottawa gets Karlsson (1/2 cap hit)
Predators get 4th overall plus 1/2 Karlsson cap hit
San Jose gets DeBrincat, Preds 15th and 24th and Ottawa 1st next year
15, 24 and 50% of Karlsson's Cap ($5.75M) for Michkov? I would pass. Hockey is a team game, and we will do better standing pat.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Morreale says Preds have no prospects at winger.

I'm sorry but this is the type of word twisting that causes all kinds of problems in our regular life/politics right now. That is not at all what he said. Do we not need help on the wing in our prospect pool?

Morreale -- Gabriel Perreault, RW, USA U-18 (NTDP): Nashville needs help on the wing in its prospect pool and Perreault (5-11, 163) led the NTDP in goals, assists and points and was second for the United States at the U-18 Worlds with 18 points (five goals, 13 assists) in seven games. The son of former NHL center Yanic Perreault has great instincts, smarts and knows how to put himself in good areas to create offense.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm sorry but this is the type of word twisting that causes all kinds of problems in our regular life/politics right now. That is not at all what he said. Do we not need help on the wing in our prospect pool?
:huh: Am I missing something? He said we need help on the wing in our prospect pool... when wing is the strongest position in our prospect pool. Where we need a little bit of help on wing is in our NHL lineup for the coming season, not our prospect pool.

But anyway, it doesn't mean we couldn't draft another winger anyway. If that's the best player. It just sounds weird to justify doing so by claiming that's something we're particularly lacking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad