2023 NHL Draft situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He is also the idiot who said, "if you can't skate, you cannot play for the Hawks" nonsense.

With that said, goalies in the draft = HS QB recruit. You also have to draft a goalie, just like you always have to recruit a QB in every recruiting cycle.

And... why is that a problem? Why would someone be an idiot for wanting that? Good skating is probably one of, if not the most important quality in today's NHL. Did Strome not teach you anything?

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I have Musty at 21ish.

Excellent hands. Can stickhandle around and on occasion through opponents. His passes are on the mark, crisp, and flat. Good vision with the puck on his stick- knows the availability of his teammates. He can move the puck quickly off his stick or stickhandle to space and find the best available option. NHL average wrist shot that he defers on a bit too much. Good size(6’2”, 200 lbs.) that he will use along the wall on occasion. His work ethic is okay, and my views have shown he does put forth effort on most plays. His skating has been a knock and certainly his top speed is below average, but the rest of his skating is NHL average.

Edit: Darkstar, nice to see a fellow Coloradan Hawks fan.
I think you're underrating his shot a bit, I think it's above average. I do agree that he should use it more. His compete level on offense is fine but he needs to show more consistent effort on defense. I also think he needs to be more consistent in his physicality. I do think he has one of the biggest upsides in this draft.

It's a great place to live.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO

And... why is that a problem? Why would someone be an idiot for wanting that? Good skating is probably one of, if not the most important quality in today's NHL. Did Strome not teach you anything?

It's nice in theory but quite a few larger players have some skating issues to work out when they are young. I think you need some size come playoff time.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I think you're underrating his shot a bit, I think it's above average. I do agree that he should use it more. His compete level on offense is fine but he needs to show more consistent effort on defense. I also think he needs to be more consistent in his physicality. I do think he has one of the biggest upsides in this draft.

It's a great place to live.
On several occasions, I have seen Musty somewhat deep in the O zone and as the play moved out to the other end he was able to get back in a timely manner.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Link to McKenzie's show on Youtube. Sounds like Daniels and Honzek might not make it to us as some teams have them in their top 10.

Reactions: Darkstar

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
On several occasions, I have seen Musty somewhat deep in the O zone and as the play moved out to the other end he was able to get back in a timely manner.
With the way his season went, it's tough to get a solid read on him. He didn't look that great early on and really got a lot better as the season progressed. Of course he also had mono and went through a coaching change.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I can understand questioning Doneghey for his "Fantilli is a generational talent as well" take, but the skating one? That's.... an interesting one.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Some guys I like at each of the picks:

19:
Yager
Danielson
Stenberg
But
Gulyayev
Musty

35:
Heidt
Dragicevic
Edstrom

44:
Sawchyn
Lardis

51 & 55:
Brzustewicz
Cowan
Perron

67:
Suniev
Kantserov
Pekarcik
Misiak
Minnetian
Ciernik

93:
Clara
Ratzlaff
Rykov
There are some good names on there. I really like Sawchyn in the 2nd round. I'd like to get some size in the 2nd round with guys like Wahlberg and Myatovic.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Certain this has been discussed ad nauseum but is there any way the hawks move up and grab leonard? He could be a difference maker.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
My guess for a trade: two seconds and a third for the NYR first.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Some of the skating "concerns" on a few guys seem to be nonsense

Several of them appear to be quality skaters just not super fast. A few of the goal scorering wingers we could get in 2nd round appear to fit this mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad