2023 NHL draft prospects

Roasted Nuts

Feb 6, 2018
Behind you
here's a question to the guys who've already done lots of homework on the 2023 draft eligble players.

I played around with a draft simulator for 2023 for funsies and a lot of the players are listed with "Power Forward". Are there really a lot of power forwards or potential ones in the draft?
Well aside from the top 2 duo of Bedard and Michkov, the rest of the first round prospects are pretty big, north of 6 feet. Just look at all of the 6-3 players in the top ten.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-03 001428.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-03 001428.png
    425.3 KB · Views: 17

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Well aside from the top 2 duo of Bedard and Michkov, the rest of the first round prospects are pretty big, north of 6 feet. Just look at all of the 6-3 players in the top ten.
Nice, Devils missed a "skilled big guy/powerforward" with Slafkovsky getting picked before them and it seems like one of the player types that Devils don't have.

Jack Hughes would definitely work great with a player like that.

Reactions: Fenris

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Dvorsky and Ciernik are similar in potential.
Dvorsky and Ciernik are similar as a players regarding performance level right now. But regarding to potential? Exactly not. Dvorsky has much more potential than Ciernik there is much more room for development in him. He's almost a year younger than him and has more room to improve in terms of speed and strength. And Dvorsky's shot is absolutely on different level than Cierniks.

And Musty not in your top15...

It can be true or not. I agree I'm higher on Musty than others because I see a lot of potential in him and I love his tools which he has. Time will tell if I'm correct here or not.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Dvorsky's Hlinka-Gretzky tournament in 2021 had been really crazy. At that moment I saw him higher than Slafkovsky.

Musty I have him much lower too (30th).

The talent density is enormous. An elite forward in Ontario can slip easily.

Thomas Chathoot

Dec 12, 2021
here's a question to the guys who've already done lots of homework on the 2023 draft eligble players.

I played around with a draft simulator for 2023 for funsies and a lot of the players are listed with "Power Forward". Are there really a lot of power forwards or potential ones in the draft?
Adam Fantilli is the next ELITE power forward. He can probably go second overall because of Michkov being russian and his contract. Stramel is another guy who I see as a power forward but doesnt have nearly as much upside. He has Top Six forward potential but not elite or top line or anything. Stramel will probably be ranked around 20-32 for me by the draft

Reactions: wetcoast and Xirik

Thomas Chathoot

Dec 12, 2021
My Top 10 Right now is currently
1. Bedard
2. Michkov
3. Fantilli
4. Carlsson
5. Benson
6. Yager
7. Ritchie
8. Sale
9. Smith
10. Allen

Players like Otto Stenberg, Kasper Haltunnen, Nate Danielson, Alex Ciernik, Emil Jarventie, Dalibor Dvorsky, Gabe Perreault and Tanner Molendyk will all likely fill in the spots after them are maybe even push for the top 10.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My Top 10 Right now is currently
1. Bedard
2. Michkov
3. Fantilli
4. Carlsson
5. Benson
6. Yager
7. Ritchie
8. Sale
9. Smith
10. Allen

Players like Otto Stenberg, Kasper Haltunnen, Nate Danielson, Alex Ciernik, Emil Jarventie, Dalibor Dvorsky, Gabe Perreault and Tanner Molendyk will all likely fill in the spots after them are maybe even push for the top 10.
You realize that are essentially no Americans that would have Will Smith top 10, Gabe Perreault anywhere close to top 10, but almost all of them would have Stramel top 10. You have Stramel 20-32. I don't know if you are stat-watching or whatnot. Stramel actually has pretty good stats. And people that watched the USHL last year don't seem to see this gap between Fantilli and Stramel you suggest. I would take the hint that you are pretty far off.

None of us can watch all these players and leagues a lot. It's wise to listen to those who watch these leagues. I've learned to listen to what I read from the people that follow certain leagues closely, and when I have a hot-take about a player from a certain league that I don't watch as often as other people I'm usually the one thats wrong.

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019

Of the top forwards in Sweden these can be reviewed as Power Forwards:
Noel Nordh, Brynäs (+ elite shot)
Jacob Sagadin, Växjö (+sacrifices himself for the team)
Elliot Ståhlberg, Färjestad (+ goal scorer)
Gustav Ling, Färjestad (+ vision + best tackler)

David Edström, Frölunda, Elias Zimmerman, Brynäs and Lucas Kling, Färjestad are all three big, big guys but i don´t see them as "Power Forwards".

Hockeylife89

Nov 27, 2019
A question to all of you that have watched a lot of preseason games... which prospects have performed best and who are you looking forward to seeing the most during the season?

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
A question to all of you that have watched a lot of preseason games... which prospects have performed best and who are you looking forward to seeing the most during the season?
From Sweden then ... Leo Carlsson (Örebro HK) and Otto Stenberg (Frölunda) of course. I think Axel Sandin Pelikka (Skellefteå) maybe have more potential than Theo Lindstein (Brynäs). Will follow that case close. Noel Nordh (Brynäs) i also think has a great future. Strong, good skater and a elite shot. Can Kalle Carlsson (Örebro) play 5-5 against tough opponents? On the pp no doubt. Can Joel Svensson (Växjö) find the spirit and some speed? He has a great shot. Elis Rix (Växjö) looked so good in the end of last season and it looks like Växjö also see the potential. Hugo Hell and Wille Johansson (both Färjestad) needs to improve (you can read more about that in earlier posts), plenty of players in Färjestad playing better. Albert Wikman, Noel Fransén, Elias Ivansson and definitely Gustav Ling has proven to consistent play better in the end of last season and in the beginning of 22/23. interesting to see Lucas Stockselius in Djurgården (big guy, great shot, good view). He disappeared a bit last season and didn't start very strong 22/23. But there is potential. The Rögle guys, Felix Nilsson and Simon Zeather will also be interesting to follow. I need to see them a little bit more. A bit surprising to me how they got promoted last year. Can Zeb Forsfjäll (Skellefteå) take another step? Isac Hedqvist (Luleå)? And i`m very curios on Anton Wahlberg (Malmö). Is he a real prospect or as some another, only marketing? Or is he for real? Hugo lejon and Gustav Kangas (Västerås), will se how they play? Most potential in Hugo in my eyes. I will follow one of my favorites close, Liam Persson (Leksand). Can he play as strong as he did in the play offs for Leksand last year? I haven´t written anything about Dower Nilsson. He is skilled but i don´t like when he is not competing. But will follow that close. Axel Landén and Edwin Nilsson in HV71 i will also look at. But not that exciting in my eyes. Have not seen it yet, but if Anton Nilsson Andrén (Örebro HK) will play (injured last year and did not play), that will be really exciting to follow. Ah it´s to much int this strong group from Sweden to follow ... :)

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019
Today i visited Frölundaborg to watch Frölunda - Färjestad J20. Very interesting. Two big organisations in Swedish hockey. But what is going on? In Frölunda no Otto Stenberg? Why? Is he just training with the A-team? Will he get three shifts next game? Very strange for me. On the other side we have Färjestad. Ok, they need to play the guys (Wille Johansson and Lucas Kling) who played in Hlinka. But for God`s sake, they are not good enough. Wille Johansson played -1 and was nowhere. Lucas Kling played -2. And the next guy they are promoting in Färjestad is Hugo Hell ... Totally wracked by Kostadinski. And that might be the seventh concussion for Hell. Tragic of course. Albert Wikman and Elliot Ståhlberg played well, again. David Edström and Felix Granath played ok. But Damian Clara (goalie born 2005 in Färjestad) was outstanding. He brought a point to Karlstad. Ok, Kostadinski took Hell out but is he really the guy to play in the national team. I rest my case. Ouff, it´s to much strange things going on in swedish hockey ... and some words about Dower Nilsson. He tried "the Michigan" four times and did not succeed, but lost the puck and put his team in danger. I can´t se what others see. Yes, he can skate smooth but he is not competing, he is not playing for the team. And then he is no guy for me.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dvorsky and Ciernik are similar as a players regarding performance level right now. But regarding to potential? Exactly not. Dvorsky has much more potential than Ciernik there is much more room for development in him. He's almost a year younger than him and has more room to improve in terms of speed and strength. And Dvorsky's shot is absolutely on different level than Cierniks.

And Musty not in your top15...

It can be true or not. I agree I'm higher on Musty than others because I see a lot of potential in him and I love his tools which he has. Time will tell if I'm correct here or not.

I see Musty as a guy who can really climb this year, among the top 20 forwards prospects with a good season point wise as a guy his size and skillset is highly projectable in the NHL.

I do wonder what other prospects will be fast risers this season though as it will be very exciting to watch the 23 draft class.

this early ranking is pretty good but I really don't see Wood or Benson going in the top 10 for different reasons but most of all because of NHL projection.

Reactions: Martinez89

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
Wanted to get out an official list before all the seasons get going:

25. Lukas Dragicevic - Tri-City Americans - WHL Dragicevic is a big, mobile defenseman who impressed me on both ends of the ice last season. He is not afraid to hit and moves the puck well in the zone. I was surprised to see him left off the Hlinka roster - hopefully he can use it as motivation and keep his status as arguably the top draft eligible defenseman out of the WHL.

24. Andrew Cristall - Kelowna Rockets - WHL Although often overshadowed by the plethora of high-end draft eligible forwards out of the WHL, Cristall had an electrifying season in Kelowna last year. He stands out to me as a relatively physical player, especially for his size. He is not afraid to get into the dirty areas. His playmaking abilities are high-end and he put his puck skills on display numerous times last season. I’d like to see him put on more muscle and continue to work on his skating, as I’d rate it as average.

23. Oliver Moore - USNTDP I expect someone from this NTDP crop to rise up into the top 15 this season, and Moore is one of top contenders to do so in my eyes. While he isn’t the most skilled player of the group by any means, he is a gifted skater with a high end top speed and a relentless motor. He is the type of a player that coaches would love to get their hands on, reliable in all three zones.

22. Theo Lindstein - Brynäs IF J20 - J20 Nationell Lindstein is a mature defenseman with SHL games already under his belt. He has good size, solid skating, and decent puck moving abilities. I’m not sure if I see top pairing upside in him, but I think his profile could stick out in a draft lacking defenseman

21. Colby Barlow - Owen Sound Attack - OHL I think Barlow and Musty are neck and neck right now for the number two forward spot in the OHL, although I feel more confident in the projection of Barlow. A power forward, he is extremely physically mature already and often finds a way to put the puck in the net whenever he is on the ice. His release is lethal, and he is able to score goals in a variety of ways. I expect him to be one of the top goalscorers in the OHL this season.

20. Quentin Musty - Sudbury Wolves - OHL So why is Musty ahead? He is a player that screams upside to me. Already 6’2 and well filled out, Musty is a player that can dazzle with his puck skills in transition and ability to see the ice. He has soft hands and a great shot as well, although not on the level of Barlow’s. The problem with Musty is consistency, as he seems to disappear at times on the ice, and also has a tendency to try and do too much with the puck at his stick at times. Musty is a player that with a more consistent and mature season in the OHL this season could shoot up draft boards quite easily.

19. Alex Ciernik - Södertälje SK J20 - J20 Nationell I must admit Ciernik is the player in the top 25 that I have seen the least full games out of, however from what I have seen along with what I have heard and read he is absolutely a player with a first round profile. He has a fantastic pace to his game and is a very skilled player in one-on-one situations. He is both a skilled goalscorer and playmaker. I’d like to see him continue to develop his 200 foot play and get stronger.

18. Will Smith - USNTDP As of right now, Smith is my top prospect out of the NTDP group. He is a well rounded player with good size and reliable play in all three zones. He has a great release and definitely leans on it as his best offensive attribute. I’d like to see him continue to develop as a playmaker and work on his skating, but I expect him to stand out with the NTDP which should be enough to warrant middle-first round consideration.

17. Kasper Halttunen - HIFK - Liiga Halttunen has a very intriguing profile - he is a big power forward with a very well rounded and high end set of offensive skills. His IQ has always been in question for me and that showed at Hlinka where he struggled, which shot him down a few spots on my ranking. I still see him as a very promising player, he needs to continue to learn to use his large frame to his advantage on both ends of the ice.

16. Nate Danielson - Brandon Wheat Kings - WHL Danielson is one of the oldest players in this class, and it’s no surprise as he has one of the most mature and well rounded games of anyone here. He is a very good skater and I see him as very projectable down the middle, which obviously plays to his advantage. He gets involved often on both ends of the ice, and while his skillset isn’t spectacular he finds ways to put up points consistently.

15. Mikhail Gulyayev - Omskie Krylia - VHL Gulyayev is a favorite of mine, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as the top defenseman selected from this class. While he is an undersized defenseman, he is an incredibly intelligent player all over the ice. He is a fantastic PP QB and probably the best puck-moving defenseman in the class as of right now in my opinion. I also think his defensive game can often go overlooked at times, an area where he needs to improve but has shown promise. Being an undersized defenseman from Russia, it is an uphill battle for Gulyayev.

14. Riley Heidt - Prince George Cougars - WHL Like Danielson, Heidt is a promising center out of the WHL with few holes in his game. While I don’t think he is as projectable down the middle, Heidt is a more skilled player than Danielson and it shows with his creativity in the offensive zone. Heidt is also a menace on the boards for his size, and a player that can easily be classified as both difficult to play against and dangerous offensively.

13. Matthew Wood - University of Connecticut - NCAA Wood is a very interesting case. He was a dominating force across the BCHL last season scoring at nearly a goal per game pace, clearly a step above the competition on a nightly basis. Wood makes the jump to the NCAA next year where he will be one of the youngest players in the country and matched up against men and fellow NHL prospects every game. He didn’t wow me at Hlinka, but the skillset is clearly there, and with his frame and profile he deserves a place in the top 15, but Wood is a player I wouldn’t be surprised to see fall down boards in the coming months, especially considering the serious skating concerns.

12. Otto Stenberg - Frölunda HC J20 - J20 Nationell Stenberg was very impressive at Hlinka and is one of the top players coming out of Sweden this year. With experience down the middle and on the wing, Stenberg is a highly skilled offensive player whose puck skills and shooting ability stand out. He is also a highly intelligent and creative player in the offensive zone who does not make many mistakes with the puck on his stick. I’d grade his skating as above-average, but nothing to write home about.

11. Cameron Allen - Guelph Storm - OHL At this point Allen has established himself as the preseason favorite to be the first defenseman off the board in 2023. He was very impressive as captain for Team Canada as they won gold at Hlinka, carrying on from a highly impressive rookie season where he won rookie of the year in the OHL. He has a very well rounded game, with a good offensive skill set that can quarterback a power play. He has a good shot from the point and while he isn’t the puck-mover Gulyayev is, he is rather good. Allen is physical for his size and is not afraid to lay the body, but he needs to continue to develop his defensive game.

10. Eduard Sale - HC Kometa Brno - Czechia Similar to Wood, Sale has had the competition questions fogging up his profile playing in the U20 Czech league, amassing 42 goals and 89 points in just 39 games. Watching Sale at Hlinka however further confirmed my excitement in how special a prospect he could be. Arguably no player impressed me more than Sale at the tournament, who was also highly impressive at the U18’s. He is a deceptive offensive player who is able to play at his own pace and utilize his skills to his advantage in almost all situations. He has good size and skating and his game is well balanced between playmaking and scoring. His transition game is electric, I’m very excited to watch him progress.

9. Charlie Stramel - University of Wisconsin - NCAA A power forward prospect who has been high on scouting radars for a while now, Stramel is my top American prospect by sizable margin at this point in the process. Injuries really hurt Stramel last season, but when he was on the ice he impressed me with his physicality, skating, and offensive skillset. He can be a commanding net-front presence and a menace along the boards but also brings a lot to the table offensively at his size. I’m not sure if I see him as a center or a winger at the highest level, but he certainly has the frame to play down the middle.

8. Zach Benson - Winnipeg Ice - WHL Benson is a joy to watch. He is such a smart and skilled player who makes a rare error in the offensive zone. He was more impressive than 2022 11th overall pick Conor Geekie for much of the season in my eyes and was right on the tails of other teammate Matthew Savoie. With that said though, as a smaller player, Benson has a lot to work on in his game. He seemed to look a bit bigger at Hlinka but needs to continue to get stronger, and his skating is really not great for a player of his size. It’s a tough road to the league for smaller players who are not great skaters even if you are as creative, smart, and skilled as Benson is in the offensive zone.

7. Calum Ritchie - Oshawa Generals - OHL My top dog out of the OHL, Ritchie had an incredible rookie season at a PPG pace for much of it where he showed his poise and put his skills really on display. He is a projectable center with good size and reliable play in all three zones on the ice. His shooting ability stands out as his most dangerous weapon to me, although he is also a creative playmaker and a strong puck-handler. He is a well-rounded player.

6. Dalibor Dvorsky - AIK - HockeyAllsvenskan Next in a line of great talents out of Slovakia is Dvorsky, a well rounded centerman with good size and high end Hockey IQ. Dvorsky is a player that works hard in all areas on the ice and uses his high IQ to manipulate defenders. His shot can be a deadly weapon from all areas across the top of the zone, and he plays a very poised game offensively and defensively. Dvorsky is a very safe prospect in my eyes who looks to be a future top six NHL center.

5. Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors - WHL Yager is a name that has been hyped out of western Canada for a while now and for a good reason, as he is one of the most gifted offensive players in the class. Yager’s profile starts and ends with his NHL level shot that has given goalies hell at every rink he has stepped on. Yager to me was easily Canada’s most impressive player at Hlinka, showing a more poised two way game while still dominating the offensive zone with his advanced skill set. I don’t know if I see Yager at Center or Winger at the next level

4. Leo Carlsson - Örebro HK - SHL Carlsson is another one of my absolute favorite guys in this class and a player that I could see becoming a legit NHL superstar one day. He is a big center already playing SHL games and has shown flashes of brilliance in tons of areas. A solid skater, Carlsson has high end puck skills and great vision in the offensive zone. He has shown a physical side to his game as well on the defensive end and along the boards, and while he needs to be more consistently physical he can really be a bruiser at times. His shot is high end and he is very creative, it’s really just a matter of putting it all together on a nightly basis for Carlsson.

3. Adam Fantilli - University of Michigan - NCAA Contrary to some belief I definitely don’t see Fantilli locked into this three spot. I think some of the guys just mentioned are right on his tail and Fantilli will need an impressive NCAA campaign to remain so high in such a top heavy draft. With that said, there is a ton to love about Fantilli. He is already very physically mature and uses his strength and large frame to his advantage - unlike some of the other big guys on this list. Fantilli was dominant in the USHL last year and doesn’t have many weaknesses in his game. He has a high end motor, an elite skill set and is a very strong skater. The only questions I have for Fantilli are primarily surrounding his IQ and offensive decision making which I’d hope to see develop as he moves to a higher level.

2. Matvei Michkov - SKA St. Petersburg - KHL Michkov is a special offensive talent, not much needs to be said here that I’m sure you haven’t already heard. The calling card of his game is his advanced hockey IQ which allows him to manipulate offensive situations and opposing players to the point where it looks easy for him. His puck skills are also incredibly elite, and he is one of the best passers and goal scorers to come out in recent years. As of right now there is no doubt in my mind I take Michkov at number two, even if I have to wait a few years to get my hands on him.

1. Connor Bedard - Regina Pats - WHL Another guy who doesn’t really need a paragraph. Bedard is a longtime prodigy whose calling card to his game is his shot, which some say is already among the best on the planet. His ability to fire pucks with accuracy and speed is something we have never really seen in a prospect before, and Bedard has done it consistently at every stage in his career. He is also a great playmaker and skater which often gets overshadowed by the shot. Bedard is on the smaller size but he is strong and sturdy, and often seems to play on the ice bigger than he is.

Next 25 Names listed Alphabetically:
Gavin Brindley
Hunter Brzustewicz
Daniil But
Mathieu Cataford
Ethan Gauthier
Emil Jarventie
Ryan Leonard
Kalan Lind
Gavin McCarthy
Tanner Molendyk
Danny Nelson
Noel Nordh
Tyler Peddle
Gabe Perreault
Jayden Perron
Coulson Pitre
Caden Price
Carson Rehkopf
Alexander Rykov
Axel Sandin-Pellikka
Gracyn Sawchyn
Maxim Strbak
Tuomas Uronen
William Whitelaw
Koehn Ziemmer

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
Right now I see Jackson Parsons, Scott Ratslaff, and Kyle Hagen as the best Canadian goalie prospects. I’ve heard a lot about some other guys, but since I’m based in Montreal, I don’t get to see them and I can’t find footage of all of them. Can anyone send me footage of Trey Augustine, Damien Clara and any other solid goalie prospects that don’t play in the CHL?

Ebbert

Dec 15, 2018
Wanted to get out an official list before all the seasons get going:

25. Lukas Dragicevic - Tri-City Americans - WHL Dragicevic is a big, mobile defenseman who impressed me on both ends of the ice last season. He is not afraid to hit and moves the puck well in the zone. I was surprised to see him left off the Hlinka roster - hopefully he can use it as motivation and keep his status as arguably the top draft eligible defenseman out of the WHL.

24. Andrew Cristall - Kelowna Rockets - WHL Although often overshadowed by the plethora of high-end draft eligible forwards out of the WHL, Cristall had an electrifying season in Kelowna last year. He stands out to me as a relatively physical player, especially for his size. He is not afraid to get into the dirty areas. His playmaking abilities are high-end and he put his puck skills on display numerous times last season. I’d like to see him put on more muscle and continue to work on his skating, as I’d rate it as average.

23. Oliver Moore - USNTDP I expect someone from this NTDP crop to rise up into the top 15 this season, and Moore is one of top contenders to do so in my eyes. While he isn’t the most skilled player of the group by any means, he is a gifted skater with a high end top speed and a relentless motor. He is the type of a player that coaches would love to get their hands on, reliable in all three zones.

22. Theo Lindstein - Brynäs IF J20 - J20 Nationell Lindstein is a mature defenseman with SHL games already under his belt. He has good size, solid skating, and decent puck moving abilities. I’m not sure if I see top pairing upside in him, but I think his profile could stick out in a draft lacking defenseman

21. Colby Barlow - Owen Sound Attack - OHL I think Barlow and Musty are neck and neck right now for the number two forward spot in the OHL, although I feel more confident in the projection of Barlow. A power forward, he is extremely physically mature already and often finds a way to put the puck in the net whenever he is on the ice. His release is lethal, and he is able to score goals in a variety of ways. I expect him to be one of the top goalscorers in the OHL this season.

20. Quentin Musty - Sudbury Wolves - OHL So why is Musty ahead? He is a player that screams upside to me. Already 6’2 and well filled out, Musty is a player that can dazzle with his puck skills in transition and ability to see the ice. He has soft hands and a great shot as well, although not on the level of Barlow’s. The problem with Musty is consistency, as he seems to disappear at times on the ice, and also has a tendency to try and do too much with the puck at his stick at times. Musty is a player that with a more consistent and mature season in the OHL this season could shoot up draft boards quite easily.

19. Alex Ciernik - Södertälje SK J20 - J20 Nationell I must admit Ciernik is the player in the top 25 that I have seen the least full games out of, however from what I have seen along with what I have heard and read he is absolutely a player with a first round profile. He has a fantastic pace to his game and is a very skilled player in one-on-one situations. He is both a skilled goalscorer and playmaker. I’d like to see him continue to develop his 200 foot play and get stronger.

18. Will Smith - USNTDP As of right now, Smith is my top prospect out of the NTDP group. He is a well rounded player with good size and reliable play in all three zones. He has a great release and definitely leans on it as his best offensive attribute. I’d like to see him continue to develop as a playmaker and work on his skating, but I expect him to stand out with the NTDP which should be enough to warrant middle-first round consideration.

17. Kasper Halttunen - HIFK - Liiga Halttunen has a very intriguing profile - he is a big power forward with a very well rounded and high end set of offensive skills. His IQ has always been in question for me and that showed at Hlinka where he struggled, which shot him down a few spots on my ranking. I still see him as a very promising player, he needs to continue to learn to use his large frame to his advantage on both ends of the ice.

16. Nate Danielson - Brandon Wheat Kings - WHL Danielson is one of the oldest players in this class, and it’s no surprise as he has one of the most mature and well rounded games of anyone here. He is a very good skater and I see him as very projectable down the middle, which obviously plays to his advantage. He gets involved often on both ends of the ice, and while his skillset isn’t spectacular he finds ways to put up points consistently.

15. Mikhail Gulyayev - Omskie Krylia - VHL Gulyayev is a favorite of mine, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as the top defenseman selected from this class. While he is an undersized defenseman, he is an incredibly intelligent player all over the ice. He is a fantastic PP QB and probably the best puck-moving defenseman in the class as of right now in my opinion. I also think his defensive game can often go overlooked at times, an area where he needs to improve but has shown promise. Being an undersized defenseman from Russia, it is an uphill battle for Gulyayev.

14. Riley Heidt - Prince George Cougars - WHL Like Danielson, Heidt is a promising center out of the WHL with few holes in his game. While I don’t think he is as projectable down the middle, Heidt is a more skilled player than Danielson and it shows with his creativity in the offensive zone. Heidt is also a menace on the boards for his size, and a player that can easily be classified as both difficult to play against and dangerous offensively.

13. Matthew Wood - University of Connecticut - NCAA Wood is a very interesting case. He was a dominating force across the BCHL last season scoring at nearly a goal per game pace, clearly a step above the competition on a nightly basis. Wood makes the jump to the NCAA next year where he will be one of the youngest players in the country and matched up against men and fellow NHL prospects every game. He didn’t wow me at Hlinka, but the skillset is clearly there, and with his frame and profile he deserves a place in the top 15, but Wood is a player I wouldn’t be surprised to see fall down boards in the coming months, especially considering the serious skating concerns.

12. Otto Stenberg - Frölunda HC J20 - J20 Nationell Stenberg was very impressive at Hlinka and is one of the top players coming out of Sweden this year. With experience down the middle and on the wing, Stenberg is a highly skilled offensive player whose puck skills and shooting ability stand out. He is also a highly intelligent and creative player in the offensive zone who does not make many mistakes with the puck on his stick. I’d grade his skating as above-average, but nothing to write home about.

11. Cameron Allen - Guelph Storm - OHL At this point Allen has established himself as the preseason favorite to be the first defenseman off the board in 2023. He was very impressive as captain for Team Canada as they won gold at Hlinka, carrying on from a highly impressive rookie season where he won rookie of the year in the OHL. He has a very well rounded game, with a good offensive skill set that can quarterback a power play. He has a good shot from the point and while he isn’t the puck-mover Gulyayev is, he is rather good. Allen is physical for his size and is not afraid to lay the body, but he needs to continue to develop his defensive game.

10. Eduard Sale - HC Kometa Brno - Czechia Similar to Wood, Sale has had the competition questions fogging up his profile playing in the U20 Czech league, amassing 42 goals and 89 points in just 39 games. Watching Sale at Hlinka however further confirmed my excitement in how special a prospect he could be. Arguably no player impressed me more than Sale at the tournament, who was also highly impressive at the U18’s. He is a deceptive offensive player who is able to play at his own pace and utilize his skills to his advantage in almost all situations. He has good size and skating and his game is well balanced between playmaking and scoring. His transition game is electric, I’m very excited to watch him progress.

9. Charlie Stramel - University of Wisconsin - NCAA A power forward prospect who has been high on scouting radars for a while now, Stramel is my top American prospect by sizable margin at this point in the process. Injuries really hurt Stramel last season, but when he was on the ice he impressed me with his physicality, skating, and offensive skillset. He can be a commanding net-front presence and a menace along the boards but also brings a lot to the table offensively at his size. I’m not sure if I see him as a center or a winger at the highest level, but he certainly has the frame to play down the middle.

8. Zach Benson - Winnipeg Ice - WHL Benson is a joy to watch. He is such a smart and skilled player who makes a rare error in the offensive zone. He was more impressive than 2022 11th overall pick Conor Geekie for much of the season in my eyes and was right on the tails of other teammate Matthew Savoie. With that said though, as a smaller player, Benson has a lot to work on in his game. He seemed to look a bit bigger at Hlinka but needs to continue to get stronger, and his skating is really not great for a player of his size. It’s a tough road to the league for smaller players who are not great skaters even if you are as creative, smart, and skilled as Benson is in the offensive zone.

7. Calum Ritchie - Oshawa Generals - OHL My top dog out of the OHL, Ritchie had an incredible rookie season at a PPG pace for much of it where he showed his poise and put his skills really on display. He is a projectable center with good size and reliable play in all three zones on the ice. His shooting ability stands out as his most dangerous weapon to me, although he is also a creative playmaker and a strong puck-handler. He is a well-rounded player.

6. Dalibor Dvorsky - AIK - HockeyAllsvenskan Next in a line of great talents out of Slovakia is Dvorsky, a well rounded centerman with good size and high end Hockey IQ. Dvorsky is a player that works hard in all areas on the ice and uses his high IQ to manipulate defenders. His shot can be a deadly weapon from all areas across the top of the zone, and he plays a very poised game offensively and defensively. Dvorsky is a very safe prospect in my eyes who looks to be a future top six NHL center.

5. Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors - WHL Yager is a name that has been hyped out of western Canada for a while now and for a good reason, as he is one of the most gifted offensive players in the class. Yager’s profile starts and ends with his NHL level shot that has given goalies hell at every rink he has stepped on. Yager to me was easily Canada’s most impressive player at Hlinka, showing a more poised two way game while still dominating the offensive zone with his advanced skill set. I don’t know if I see Yager at Center or Winger at the next level

4. Leo Carlsson - Örebro HK - SHL Carlsson is another one of my absolute favorite guys in this class and a player that I could see becoming a legit NHL superstar one day. He is a big center already playing SHL games and has shown flashes of brilliance in tons of areas. A solid skater, Carlsson has high end puck skills and great vision in the offensive zone. He has shown a physical side to his game as well on the defensive end and along the boards, and while he needs to be more consistently physical he can really be a bruiser at times. His shot is high end and he is very creative, it’s really just a matter of putting it all together on a nightly basis for Carlsson.

3. Adam Fantilli - University of Michigan - NCAA Contrary to some belief I definitely don’t see Fantilli locked into this three spot. I think some of the guys just mentioned are right on his tail and Fantilli will need an impressive NCAA campaign to remain so high in such a top heavy draft. With that said, there is a ton to love about Fantilli. He is already very physically mature and uses his strength and large frame to his advantage - unlike some of the other big guys on this list. Fantilli was dominant in the USHL last year and doesn’t have many weaknesses in his game. He has a high end motor, an elite skill set and is a very strong skater. The only questions I have for Fantilli are primarily surrounding his IQ and offensive decision making which I’d hope to see develop as he moves to a higher level.

2. Matvei Michkov - SKA St. Petersburg - KHL Michkov is a special offensive talent, not much needs to be said here that I’m sure you haven’t already heard. The calling card of his game is his advanced hockey IQ which allows him to manipulate offensive situations and opposing players to the point where it looks easy for him. His puck skills are also incredibly elite, and he is one of the best passers and goal scorers to come out in recent years. As of right now there is no doubt in my mind I take Michkov at number two, even if I have to wait a few years to get my hands on him.

1. Connor Bedard - Regina Pats - WHL Another guy who doesn’t really need a paragraph. Bedard is a longtime prodigy whose calling card to his game is his shot, which some say is already among the best on the planet. His ability to fire pucks with accuracy and speed is something we have never really seen in a prospect before, and Bedard has done it consistently at every stage in his career. He is also a great playmaker and skater which often gets overshadowed by the shot. Bedard is on the smaller size but he is strong and sturdy, and often seems to play on the ice bigger than he is.

Next 25 Names listed Alphabetically:
Gavin Brindley
Hunter Brzustewicz
Daniil But
Mathieu Cataford
Ethan Gauthier
Emil Jarventie
Ryan Leonard
Kalan Lind
Gavin McCarthy
Tanner Molendyk
Danny Nelson
Noel Nordh
Tyler Peddle
Gabe Perreault
Jayden Perron
Coulson Pitre
Caden Price
Carson Rehkopf
Alexander Rykov
Axel Sandin-Pellikka
Gracyn Sawchyn
Maxim Strbak
Tuomas Uronen
William Whitelaw
Koehn Ziemmer
Who is your 26 to 32 ?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Mathieu Cataford will be in the top 25 for sure...the guy is a great all around player and Halifax does a good job at developing these guys.

Honestly, I'm in Halifax and Mooseheads fan but he's left me pretty underwhelmed related to his hype every time I've watched him.

I don't know what he's going to do to be successful at the next levels. That high end trait or sum of parts.

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
Honestly, I'm in Halifax and Mooseheads fan but he's left me pretty underwhelmed related to his hype every time I've watched him.

I don't know what he's going to do to be successful at the next levels. That high end trait or

I don't know what he's going to do to be successful at the next levels. That high end trait or sum of parts.
What was underwhelming to you about him? He had one of the best 16 yo seasons last year and produced more than you would expect most players his age to. I’ve been watching him for a while and he has made an impact at every level he’s played at so there’s no reason to think that he couldn’t continue doing so, especially since he has another year experience under his belt. He is definitely a top prospect for the 2023 draft in my eyes, but of course this season will play a large factor in how high he goes.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What was underwhelming to you about him? He had one of the best 16 yo seasons last year and produced more than you would expect most players his age to. I’ve been watching him for a while and he has made an impact at every level he’s played at so there’s no reason to think that he couldn’t continue doing so, especially since he has another year experience under his belt. He is definitely a top prospect for the 2023 draft in my eyes, but of course this season will play a large factor in how high he goes.

I find it hard to identify a single trait of his that plays up levels and in a class this deep that divide looks bigger than it would in other years.

I think he's more of a 2nd rounder.

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Today i visited Frölundaborg to watch Frölunda - Färjestad J20. Very interesting. Two big organisations in Swedish hockey. But what is going on? In Frölunda no Otto Stenberg? Why? Is he just training with the A-team? Will he get three shifts next game? Very strange for me. On the other side we have Färjestad. Ok, they need to play the guys (Wille Johansson and Lucas Kling) who played in Hlinka. But for God`s sake, they are not good enough. Wille Johansson played -1 and was nowhere. Lucas Kling played -2. And the next guy they are promoting in Färjestad is Hugo Hell ... Totally wracked by Kostadinski. And that might be the seventh concussion for Hell. Tragic of course. Albert Wikman and Elliot Ståhlberg played well, again. David Edström and Felix Granath played ok. But Damian Clara (goalie born 2005 in Färjestad) was outstanding. He brought a point to Karlstad. Ok, Kostadinski took Hell out but is he really the guy to play in the national team. I rest my case. Ouff, it´s to much strange things going on in swedish hockey ... and some words about Dower Nilsson. He tried "the Michigan" four times and did not succeed, but lost the puck and put his team in danger. I can´t se what others see. Yes, he can skate smooth but he is not competing, he is not playing for the team. And then he is no guy for me.
Thats the thing that seems really hard to evaluate in Sweden, without significant effort into watching the specific player without knowing and judging depending on the context of their icetime, linemates, league, team etc in a way thats way more challenging that I would imagine north american junior systems where there is not promotion to higher leagues or relegation in the same way.
I won't say which(information partially stems from the fact that a family member plays there), but for example there is a regular SHL team that doesn't even have scouts hired specifically for their youth system. As such, some of the recruitments way ahead of time are riddiculously confusing, as players from outside that teams city get put on a pedestal when they are not noticeably better than majority of the players from within, but get recruited with good future prospectives such as free living and other benefits such as the NIU education. Why, I don't know, mix of contacts, luck and just having a "good CV"(essentially playing selects and stuff)

When my family member was playing groups at TV pucken just the other weekend I talked to one of the scouts for the Swedish u16 camps that I knew from way back about a lot of different topics relating to youth hockey, and he mentioned that one year they focused a lot on bringing in finesse players and got destroyed by hardworking and disciplined finns, so next time they completely changed up instead. All to say, maybe there is a philosphy issue in terms of how, maybe not just the national teams, but also the individual youth systems value their talent, as such other players get shafted in a very obvious way. I don't have nearly the width of experince as you do with some of these players, but do you notice any specific common pattern in terms of playstyle between these players that could make their ice time etc be attributed to hockey philosophy?

Reactions: The Swede

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016

Love the way this kid grabs the puck and drives the net but not from the outside. Right down the middle. No fear. Right up the heart of the ice. I haven’t seen a prospect do this in a long time. If he stays healthy then he will drive up the rankings. First round is not out of the question

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Mathieu Cataford will be in the top 25 for sure...the guy is a great all around player and Halifax does a good job at developing these guys.
I will be extremely surprised. If I could bet with you all my heritage money to double it, I would do it with serenity.

The world top 25 is extremely dense.

It's going to be very complicated for QMJHL players this year.

Among the CHL's forwards, the WHL gang + the Ritchie & Musty tandem should take the top 25

And even. In my current list, I haven't even ranked Cristall and Musty top 25.

USA will have its guys like every year (probably around 5) and Europe now, Czechia and Slovakia are in the game like last year and will easily take 3 places (Dvorsky, Ciernik, Sale) in the top 25.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
SHL starts today. Here's the Swedish players I think have the potential to go in the first two rounds and how I'd rank them:

1. Leo Carlsson
2. Axel Sandin Pellikka
3. Otto Stenberg
4. Kalle Carlsson
5. Noel Nordh
5. Theo Lindstein
6. Noah Dower Nilsson
7. Tom Willander
8. David Edstrom

Was wrong about Leo Carlsson last season. He's on a different level here. I expect a lot of movement after that. Biggest potential riser: Dower Nilsson. Biggest potential faller: Stenberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad