Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - 5th Round - 151st Overall - Thomas Milic G

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Washed up goalie analysis time:
I’ve had some live viewings, tv viewings and video viewings of this fantastic young netminder. He is a great goalie. If he was 6’2 1/2 he’d be drafted way before this. Here are some things I really like:
He is very athletic yet poised. He moves quickly but doesn’t over commit to get out of position. Sometimes in recovery goalies get desperate but not him. He’s got great core and leg strength and that helps him with this.
He tracks pucks well, especially in traffic. He is confident which is key at this position. But my favourite trait of his is the mental part of his game. He is a big game player, loves pressure. Goaltending is 80% mental and he finds a way to stay ahead of it and read plays and out smarts players. This is one of the most important traits to have when playing at the highest level, if you don’t have it, nhl players will make you look bad. I’ve skated with ahl and nhl guys and the biggest difference is how intelligent and patient nhl guys are, they can embarrass you quickly, I think Milic has the he IQ to compete with the NHL smarts. He is one of those guys that loves big moments. He is a gamer.
One thing I hope he does at the higher level is trust his amazing edge work and skating, and play with a bit more depth in his crease, a la Saros.
They say size is his weakness, I say beat it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’ve had some live viewings, tv viewings and video viewings of this fantastic young netminder. He is a great goalie. If he was 6’2 1/2 he’d be drafted way before this. Here are some things I really like:
He is very athletic yet poised. He moves quickly but doesn’t over commit to get out of position. Sometimes in recovery goalies get desperate but not him. He’s got great core and leg strength and that helps him with this.
He tracks pucks well, especially in traffic. He is confident which is key at this position. But my favourite trait of his is the mental part of his game. He is a big game player, loves pressure. Goaltending is 80% mental and he finds a way to stay ahead of it and read plays and out smarts players. This is one of the most important traits to have when playing at the highest level, if you don’t have it, nhl players will make you look bad. I’ve skated with ahl and nhl guys and the biggest difference is how intelligent and patient nhl guys are, they can embarrass you quickly, I think Milic has the he IQ to compete with the NHL smarts. He is one of those guys that loves big moments. He is a gamer.
One thing I hope he does at the higher level is trust his amazing edge work and skating, and play with a bit more depth in his crease, a la Saros.

Thanks a lot for this. Have you seen much if DiVincentiis, if so cab you do a similar breakdown?

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg

Thanks for your analysis!

Posted earlier in the thread and used the same term for Milic - "gamer"

The stage most certainly doesn't seem too bright for him.

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Lundqvist was 6’1” Saros is 5’11” both phenomenal talents.

Wolf has obscene numbers at every level and it will be interested to see how he does in Calgary this season but it’s hard for me to imagine that one of the most statistically dominant goalies in the CHL and AHL for the last half decade isn’t going to be an impact player.

Milic didn’t really “break out” until this season numbers wise. He was solid before that but I get why teams passed on him. Definitely worth the risk given the bias in the NHL currently.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mili is the nicest dude

Interesting that it started out with McGroarty doing the long meet and greets then by the end of camp 4 guys are all stopping to talk to every fan. I know there are no real vets present so we get to see natural leadership styles in this new young group. Maybe it’s just that it has been a long break with Covid etc but something seems different about this camp and this group of prospects. I am glad Lambert seems to be really fitting in to the group too. Going back to juniors and now attending this camp Brad finally started to play and hang with some guys his age and I think that might prove to be an important reset. Seems like he has found a way to have some fun and success.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting that it started out with McGroarty doing the long meet and greats then by the end of camp 4 guys are all stopping to talk to every fan. I know there are no real vets present so we get to see natural leadership styles in this new young group. Maybe it’s just that it has been a long break with Covid etc but something seems different about this camp and this group of prospects. I am glad Lambert seems to be really fitting in to the group too. Going back to juniors and now attending this camp Brad finally started to play and hang with some guys his age and I think that might prove to be an important reset. Seems like he has found a way to have some fun and success.

Not just you and not just Covid and the long absence of Dev Camp either.

This seems to be a good bunch of guys, led by McGroarty. Just happy to be there and having fun. I don't mean happy as in grateful or content. I mean as in joyful. McG is clearly the leader in that respect but not the only one. Others are following.

I think too many Jets players have been having too little fun in recent years. It is important for the players to be having fun playing.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Interesting that it started out with McGroarty doing the long meet and greets then by the end of camp 4 guys are all stopping to talk to every fan. I know there are no real vets present so we get to see natural leadership styles in this new young group. Maybe it’s just that it has been a long break with Covid etc but something seems different about this camp and this group of prospects. I am glad Lambert seems to be really fitting in to the group too. Going back to juniors and now attending this camp Brad finally started to play and hang with some guys his age and I think that might prove to be an important reset. Seems like he has found a way to have some fun and success.

Good post and good to see. I used to take players from our wee fella's TimBits squad to these dev camp events when we could, and while it was always fun and engaging -- we once had Buff hang out and play corridor hockey with us for a good while when he was rehabbing next door -- this looks like a blast with a great group of kids.

Really looking forward to seeing this group continue to develop together, hopefully as a new, skilled and all-in core.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00