Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - 5th Round - 151st Overall - Thomas Milic G

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Wow... I forgot he was undrafted and assumed from the thread title this was a distant cousin of the WJC-winning, Memorial Cup finalist goalie. This seems like a fantastic value pick to me.

Yes, he's an over-ager and WJC success has never been a good predictor of NHL success for Canadian goalies, but this is great use of a 5th round pick.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed, has nothing to prove in junior

Yeah the Jets should sign him soon this summer and we should see what he has in camp. With the gaping hole we will have with Helle's departure he will likely even get a look at the Jets depending on who is between the pipes. At 20 he's a long shot but the kid has the athleticism and skill to make it. Only thing working against him is size but he makes up for it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah the Jets should sign him soon this summer and we should see what he has in camp. With the gaping hole we will have with Helle's departure he will likely even get a look at the Jets depending on who is between the pipes. At 20 he's a long shot but the kid has the athleticism and skill to make it. Only thing working against him is size but he makes up for it.

I mean a certain other small goalie has given us fits in the division the past few years in Saros. Size is only one attribute.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep I just hope the Jets give this kid a fair shake. He's the real deal.

Well it's not like the competition is all that great until Dom becomes a pro in a year. I imagine if he can beat out wither goalie on the Moose they will give it to him. We seem to have given almost every goalie prospect we've drafted and signed a good opportunity in the AHL. I see this as no different here.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Big goalies have a greater chance of success simply because they cover more of the net. But a goalie can be huge and still not very good. Or a small man can be good in spite of his stature.

In the end, it doesn't matter at all how they succeed. It only matters that they succeed. So far, Milic has been succeeding.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I could see Milic surpassing both of them on the depth chart quickly.

I totally agree. I am just saying, instead of throwing him to the wolves of the AHL per say, start him in the ECHL, let him slowly advance, kind of like in major league baseball how players start in rookie ball and advance even if they are dominating the competition.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I totally agree. I am just saying, instead of throwing him to the wolves of the AHL per say, start him in the ECHL, let him slowly advance, kind of like in major league baseball how players start in rookie ball and advance even if they are dominating the competition.

I don't think anything can really shake him. If he's Moose ready you give him the job and make the rest take it from him. Have a feeling he will be backing up the Jets before long if not our full fledged starter.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I don't think anything can really shake him. If he's Moose ready you give him the job and make the rest take it from him. Have a feeling he will be backing up the Jets before long if not our full fledged starter.

That's a great vote of confidence. I caught some of his play during the MC highlights and he seems very quick and controlled in the net. Looking forward to hearing more reports of him in dev camp this year.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Over Milic's last 3556 shots (regular season + playoffs), he's a .922.
Divincentiis's 2886 shot OHL career (regular + playoffs), he's a .915 (1 year younger than Milic)

Fun fact: The only CHL goalie in the NHL's Top 10 SV% over the past 3 seasons is...Darcy Kuemper, in 10th place with a .914. Jarry and MAF are right behind him at 11th and 12th with .913.

Kuemper's last ~3000 WHL shots, he was a .919
Jarry's last ~3000 WHL shots, he was a .912

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Over Milic's last 3556 shots (regular season + playoffs), he's a .922.
Divincentiis's 2886 shot OHL career (regular + playoffs), he's a .915 (1 year younger than Milic)

Fun fact: The only CHL goalie in the NHL's Top 10 SV% over the past 3 seasons is...Darcy Kuemper, in 10th place with a .914. Jarry and MAF are right behind him at 11th and 12th with .913.

Kuemper's last ~3000 WHL shots, he was a .919
Jarry's last ~3000 WHL shots, he was a .912
Inject this into my veins

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Are Holm and that other guy still under contract for next year? Can't see either making the Jets as a backup anytime soon.

But you are right the kid just gets it done so i wouldn't bet against him.
Holm is a RFA who might not get qualified so Milic could take his place.

Reactions: surixon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad