Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - 5th Round - 151st Overall - Thomas Milic G

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why wouldn't they?

I just hope they don't want him to "pay his dues" at lower levels. If the kid looks like he can play on the Jets next year, play him, if he looks like he should be the starter on the Moose do it. Don't just give it to someone because they have been there longer or you are hoping they are "the guy". Just let the kid cook and if he takes a job, give it to him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I just hope they don't want him to "pay his dues" at lower levels. If the kid looks like he can play on the Jets next year, play him, if he looks like he should be the starter on the Moose do it. Don't just give it to someone because they have been there longer or you are hoping they are "the guy". Just let the kid cook and if he takes a job, give it to him.
Due to age, doesn't he have to be either on the Moose or the ECHL, which doesn't seem bad as a next step? I'm guessing he is no where near ready for the NHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Fair point but it seems the Jets really haven't operated like that with top goalie prospects. Helle got the Moose gig immediately and then quickly progressed to the NHL. Comrie got the starting Moose gig right away. Berdin had to wait on Comrie a bit but still got the starting gig and had it for years. I don't see any history if management not giving goalies legit opportunities.

I think you jump the gun big time with thinking he's NHL ready. That's throwing him to the wolves especially if we go a bit younger next year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Really like this pick! He’s a good goalie but I’m biased as I really like athletic goalies that are 6’0 as I feel NHL teams write them off way to early and should give them more of a look! Good pick up, will play pro and keep developing.
Edit: I’ll give a more in depth analysis on him when I have a minute.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Due to age, doesn't he have to be either on the Moose or the ECHL, which doesn't seem bad as a next step? I'm guessing he is no where near ready for the NHL.

Fair point but it seems the Jets really haven't operated like that with top goalie prospects. Helle got the Moose gig immediately and then quickly progressed to the NHL. Comrie got the starting Moose gig right away. Berdin had to wait on Comrie a bit but still got the starting gig and had it for years. I don't see any history if management not giving goalies legit opportunities.

I think you jump the gun big time with thinking he's NHL ready. That's throwing him to the wolves especially if we go a bit younger next year.

I'm not saying he's NHL ready but I'm not saying he can't be, At 20 soon to be 21 he would be a very young goalie to jump into the NHL for sure and likely will have some growing pains if he did but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility either. I think it's more likely he just starts with the Moose and I hope they don't hold him back in favour of anyone else simply due to age.

It hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't. We haven't exactly had much of a roadblock for goalies coming into this org ever. But we have seen this happen to forwards and D.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and hn777

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ll say it again. I’m shocked that he hadn’t been drafted before this year and equally shocked he was still available in the 5th round this year after the season and WJC he had.
He’s 6 feet and the old boys club of GMs can be dinosaurs. Same reason Perreault slipped in round one, cause you know Vegas was big this year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He’s 6 feet and the old boys club of GMs can be dinosaurs. Same reason Perreault slipped in round one, cause you know Vegas was big this year.

Big goalies are less risky than smaller ones. They tend to have to rely on athleticism less so they aren't as much of wildcards. Magic Milic has both athleticism and positioning but even then there will be some exploitable parts of his game. Saros is one of the few guys defying the odds right now. Its always an uphill battle for sub 6'2 goalies. But if anyone has the potential its Milic.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Usually goalies have to make highlight reel saves because they're either out of position or they are slow to read rhe play

See: Mike Plamateer

Reactions: AlaskaJet

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
Hell like I said how we now have the WHL goalie of the year, and last year we drafted the OHL goalie of the year for this year, we should just continue and draft the QMJHL and CHL goalie of the year Nathan Darveau haha

Reactions: Victorias

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I’ll say it again. I’m shocked that he hadn’t been drafted before this year and equally shocked he was still available in the 5th round this year after the season and WJC he had.

Add me to the list of shocked that he was not only there for the Jets pick at #151, but that we also saw his backup in Seattle, Scott Ratzlaff, go 10 picks ahead of him at #141.

Granted, he had some very good showings for Seattle and will likely have a chance to show his stuff for Canada down the road.

But Milic has essentially been there done that already. I love seeing the highlights of the US/Canada game where he was so so huge, especially in the first period. The Americans were coming in waves and he stood tall giving his team a chance when the ice was completely tilted.

The kid is such a gamer.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Reminder that Dustin Wolf, who has now been named goalie of the year for 4 years in a row (2 in WHL 2 in AHL) was drafted in the 7th round despite putting up absurd numbers everywhere he played. I'll give you one guess as to why.

Spoke too soon. With the signing of Delia, Milic will start in the ECHL.
Or Delia will be Brossoit's back up after we trade Helle.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Wow... I forgot he was undrafted and assumed from the thread title this was a distant cousin of the WJC-winning, Memorial Cup finalist goalie. This seems like a fantastic value pick to me.

Yes, he's an over-ager and WJC success has never been a good predictor of NHL success for Canadian goalies, but this is great use of a 5th round pick.
You gotta problem with Manny Legace, pal?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Moves so efficiently, great video.

Reminder that Dustin Wolf, who has now been named goalie of the year for 4 years in a row (2 in WHL 2 in AHL) was drafted in the 7th round despite putting up absurd numbers everywhere he played. I'll give you one guess as to why.

Or Delia will be Brossoit's back up after we trade Helle.
Dinosaur GMs don’t like 6’0 goalies, what else is new. Wolf is a stud.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Usually goalies have to make highlight reel saves because they're either out of position or they are slow to read rhe play

See: Mike Plamateer

Man he was a polarizing player.

When I was a little kid during our brief time in Canada all the street hockey Mike Palmateers could come out of their nets to play centre. I swear he was scored on while roaming the hashmarks more than any other goalie in history.

What a .... character.

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The guy went 27-3-2 last season!
If he isn't the back up for the Moose, I'll be shocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad