Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - 3rd Round - 82nd Overall - Zachary Nehring RW

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

OK this part I don't like, though I guess they eventually got a few years out of Poolman

So not even good enough to hit college next year. Atleast with the Smith's and Poolman picks they were already good players in a much better USHL league.

Hopefully he can have a good year there next year as he will once again be playing beneath his peer group.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Until Hillier is replaced, I'm fine with Chevy trading all our picks except the first rounders or high 2nd... we haven't found a diamond in the rough in ages and this is not it

Team needs C, goalie and RHD prospects - the only thing we don't need is fourth line wingers...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That is an odd way to look at it since we don't even know how many of those prospects are gonna make it.
Sure. It's sort of about balance in the prospect pool, I guess.

Carolina just drafted a 6'4" F who scored 19 goals in the WHL last season, so...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It's neat how most ppl have no clue but will crap on this guy. Interesting strategy
If he was C or RHD, I'd be like... we must have some inside info - but this is a pick (at best) for the Moose

I don't see where the Jets have the luxury of waiting 4 years for a bit player

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Looks like USHL after all! Probably best for his ice time and development.

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Logan was at least playing and producing in a Major Junior level league by 18, this kid couldn't even make the USHL last year. This is the equivalent of taking a kid playing Midget AAA at 18 because he couldn't make the Dub.
Neither did Mason Appleton in his draft season. I'm not that worried about drafting "late bloomers", as long as they have enough tools, character and smarts. Not sure if Nehring has all that.

I'm skeptical, but also not all that excited about most picks past the 2nd round, regardless. Misses outnumber hits by about 10 to 1.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well now he is! Any USHL team would love to add him in 2023-24 and he'll still be eligible for USHL for 2024-25. But he's decided to move on to bigger challenges and skip the Junior A path entirely.

Apparently he's playing in Sioux Falls next year, not going to NCAA until 2024/25.

Neither did Mason Appleton in his draft season. I'm not that worried about drafting "late bloomers", as long as they have enough tools, character and smarts. Not sure if Nehring has all that.

I'm skeptical, but also not all that excited about most picks past the 2nd round, regardless. Misses outnumber hits by about 10 to 1.

We drafted Apples out of the USHL.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Well now he is! Any USHL team would love to add him in 2023-24 and he'll still be eligible for USHL for 2024-25. But he's decided to move on to bigger challenges and skip the Junior A path entirely.

Prep hockey is Junior A/AAA equivalent at that age group, USHL is the major junior league in the US. He's not skipping major junior as you said.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Prep hockey is Junior A/AAA equivalent at that age group, USHL is the major junior league in the US. He's not skipping major junior as you said.
Yup, he's going that route but a year or two later then his peer group.

Reactions: None

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah he's not skipping it, he got cut and is committed to playing in the USHL next year then going to college for 4 years, Can't be to upset as it's a crap shoot anyways but it is an odd choice.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
What else should we do? Homer praise a massively off board pick? We could have gotten this kid in the 7th likely.

Ranked early 90's by TSN and Bob McKenzie which are typically the best rankings when looking back years later.

This is a 3rd round pick, not a reach.

Reactions: Been around

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Wonder if they have their eye on Hunter Anderson as well. Played with Nehring and had 30 more points, but is only 5'9".
Yeah I noticed that he was only the second leading scorer on his team which gave me some questions about him. Also those PIMs are pretty darn high.

That said I haven't seen him play a single minute of hockey and it's purely stat sheet scouting.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Ranked early 90's by TSN and Bob McKenzie which are typically the best rankings when looking back years later.

Bob is projecting where players will go; not necessarily their actual value.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Generally HP is closest. Lots of people have him pretty high but gotta remember most of these people have probably only seen him play maybe twice at most.

So while the appeal to authority is likely a bit more viewings it's not like teams will have had 10+ viewings of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad