Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - 3rd Round - 82nd Overall - Zachary Nehring RW

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Keller last played there as a d-3 player or 15 year old. He played 2 seasons in the USHL and was drafted out of there.

Crosby also last played there as a 15 year old.

That is sort of the point, it's a good program but the best prospects are long gone by the time they are draft eligible.
Ok gotcha. Thanks for that correction, I obviously did my math wrong. Our scouts usually have a good eye for talent so I am very curious what it was about this player that had them take him.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Typical Jets pick that never pans out. Do some wild shit and draft a talented but highly flawed kid instead. Adam Fox went in the 3 round because he could not defend etc. Jets never do those pick. We just keep draft low upside kids who all reach Ahl or wont get signed.
Like Nic Petan?

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Hell of a moment. I don't think we will ever see a kid with the Jets number 1 on his wishlist ever again or maybe he's the 1st of many on the way? Gotta cheer for this kid.
Seems like a really good kid. As a 3rd rounder, he doesn’t have be a star, but if he can take his time and develop his game as a role player, that’s all you ask for. Anything more than that is just icing!

There’s no reason he can’t develop over the next 3-5 years and become a contributing player. There’s a long list of undrafted players who found ways to carve out careers for themselves. Here’s hoping the JETS get rewarded with this obscure pick that will leave some teams wondering why they didn’t take the chance on him.

I don’t doubt that there may even be players selected in rounds 3 - 7 that will out produce some 1st or 2nd rounders.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
He's definitely two years away from being two years away but if he hits could be a player. I like it.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Yeah I noticed that he was only the second leading scorer on his team which gave me some questions about him. Also those PIMs are pretty darn high.

That said I haven't seen him play a single minute of hockey and it's purely stat sheet scouting.
There are some scouting videos on YouTube. He looks like a project, but he also looks very projectable. He grew 2 inches and 36lbs over the last 2 seasons and he doesn’t appear to be done growing. It won’t be a shock if his puck and skating skills take a few extra years to develop as he continues to adjust to his growth. His hands are clearly a current weak point in his game, but his passing is accurate and he has vision. I’m sure his handles will get better with more reps and awareness.

Reactions: kellhunter

James Lahey

Jun 24, 2015
Winnipeg
There are some scouting videos on YouTube. He looks like a project, but he also looks very projectable. He grew 2 inches and 36lbs over the last 2 seasons and he doesn’t appear to be done growing. It won’t be a shock if his puck and skating skills take a few extra years to develop as he continues to adjust to his growth. His hands are clearly a current weak point in his game, but his passing is accurate and he has vision. I’m sure his handles will get better with more reps and awareness.
Pretty tough to grow like that and not have it hinder your co-ordination a little bit too. Really rooting for this guy, he looks like he's willing to put in the work and you can never have too many of those guys in an organization.

Might have been a bit early but there's no sure things in the draft outside of the first few picks most years.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
In terms of draft order, I feel that Jets fans would have been more comfortable if, aside from Barlow, they took the same picks but in reverse order:

#82: Connor Levis, big PPG pivot from the WHL
#146: Thomas Milic, accomplished pro-ready goaltender
#151: Jacob Julien, large late-bloomer with terrific development team
#210: Zach Nehring, bully project winger heading to NCAA

Weird how it could work either way. It just goes to show that beyond the first 40-60 picks it's a wide open field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad