NFL GDT: 2023 NFC Championship Game: (1) San Francisco 49ers vs (3) Detroit Lions

SF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The field goal isn't any more likely than picking up 2 yards though. You can easily miss a 48 yard field goal.
I’d rather miss the FG.

But in the end what got Detroit was the inability of their players to make a play to stop the bleeding.

So you don’t convert 4th down. If you as a player love your coach for going for it, then you have to pick up the coach and his decision when they fail.

Dropped a pick that bounces into the WR hands.
Fumble by Gibbs because he runs into Goff. Means he didn’t line up correctly to get the handoff or Goff turned the wrong way. Someone messed up on that play call.
Reynolds can’t hold onto the ball when gets got a first down after the game is tied to turn back momentum.
Defence can’t sack Purdy when he’s in trouble. Allow him to get away twice.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the playcaller called a run in that situation without talking to the HC he should have been fired on the spot and not even make it to the end of the game.

That wasted timeout literally cost them a chance at a final drive for a game tying FG.
There's a minute left in the game, they're going onside kick no matter what.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Again, the 49ers peer into the abyss and manage to step back. They're not going to get away with going into a hole at the Superbowl. Hope they bring their A game.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Lions has this game in the bag but captain numb nuts went full idiot, @CupofOil i hope you are doing alright

Agree 1000% - - Dan Campbell’s asinine decisions on 4th down cost Detroit this game.

Analytics nerds will never understand that Madden ‘23 “play calling” doesn’t apply to real life football.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Dan Campbell is Brandon Staley with muscles, muscle head ruined that game completely trying to flex

Agree 1000% - - Dan Campbell’s asinine decisions on 4th down cost Detroit this game.

Analytics nerds will never understand that Madden ‘23 “play calling” doesn’t apply to real life football.

Every Madden player would kick there too

Reactions: EpochLink

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
I agree SF has a balanced attack if Purdy is on, but Detroit's running game would have caused them a lot of problems imo.
Yes but you have to figure an insane gambler like Campbell would absolutely blow it against Reid/Spags.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Right, and if you onside kick and fail with 3 timeouts you can still get the ball back.

If you onside kick with 2 timeouts and fail, the opposing team just runs it 3 times and wastes some time to kill the game as we just saw.
But everyone's talking about how they ran the ball so now they have to onside kick. That was always going to happen. You get a stop, what is there left? 30 seconds?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

I literally yelled at the TV, why are you going for it in 4th down? He treated this game like week 4.

I’m sorry but that is HORRIBLE coaching, which can easily lose the locker room.

This game was not on Goff, defense, running game. Coaching adjustments and a f***ing common sense of what to do in those situations would be better. Any experienced head coach would’ve taken the points.

Dan Campbell: huur gonna eat some steak and potatoes, let’s go for it people!

f*** him.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I didn't watch much, but YoBoyPizza was one of the ones I sampled.

ProblemWright (He's a Niners fan so he's probably trolling right now)/DubDotDubby is another one. They were both saying you basically make the Niners have to go super fast down 17 instead of still being in the game down 2 possessions, it's an obvious thing but ya

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
it was a hell of a ride. Was it our last shot for the next 60 years? Who knows. I'm grateful for this season.

49ers had all the luck today. We had some mistakes (Reynolds, Gibbs fumble, INT-Recovery Ayuk, 4th down handling) and made the 49ers strong in the second half. It wasn't meant to be for the Lions. Bitter loss.

But overall I'm very grateful for this season.

Reactions: Reality Check

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
But everyone's talking about how they ran the ball so now they have to onside kick. That was always going to happen. You get a stop, what is there left? 30 seconds?
I’m not trying to argue it’s a good situation to be in, but getting it back with 30 seconds left is objectively better than not getting it back at all.

The point of them having to go for the onside kick is more that they technically could have kicked it long and gotten a 3 and out if they had 3 timeouts, but with only 2 the only way they were getting the ball back was an onside kick so they “forced” it even if Detroit was going to do it anyway.

Reactions: LightningStorm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad